How legitimate is this article?

Options
Is this article true? What parts are true and which are not? I am not sure how to check but it sure looks like fear mongering to me...

http://www.livestrong.com/article/518807-negative-side-effects-of-eating-less-than-1-200-calories-a-day/

Replies

• Carley
    Carley Posts: 88
    Options
    1200 calories is very little for an adult, even an adult who does nothing! Let alone for people who exercise. It leaves no room in your diet for any freedom at all. Which will lead to binges sadly.

I went from a 1200 calorie to roughly around 1800 calories and I have found I am bingeing so much less, it's a lovely freedom!!!
  • missylectro
    missylectro Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is very little for an adult, even an adult who does nothing! Let alone for people who exercise. It leaves no room in your diet for any freedom at all. Which will lead to binges sadly.

I went from a 1200 calorie to roughly around 1800 calories and I have found I am bingeing so much less, it's a lovely freedom!!!
    Are you still losing?
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    The author says if you eat to little the body will "start to break down its own tissues for energy". Not so much tissues, but fat. When a deficit is present the body utilizes fat. In certain circumstances the body can use muscle tissue for fuel as well but there are ways to prevent or minimize this such as eating adequate protein and lifting weights.

The author then goes on to state "Eating less then 1,200 calories per day will send your body into starvation mode." They however do not explain at all what they mean by "Starvation mode". Starvation mode by and large does not exist. I'll play ball and assume they are saying metabolic slowdown, which can occur after periods of prolonged dieting. This can happen but it takes some serious time eating a very low level of calories. Also they never mention that the height and weight of the individual will determine how much if any metabolic adaptation will occur. If you are 4'11, female, 100 lbs you may very well maintain on 1200 calories or less simply due to your body frame.

The author now employs scare tactics. They make it seem like if you go on a sub 1200 calorie diet you will ultimately lose your gallbladder. The following statement is quite presumptuous, "Since you are not taking in the proper amounts of vitamins, proteins and electrolytes, you are at risk for malnutrition disorders and electrolyte imbalances." One could easily get in adequate vitamins, minerals, and electrolytes on a very low calorie diet if they planned a little bit.

"low-calorie diets force your body to take energy from other sources. You are more likely to burn muscle than fat because your body needs protein". Again this isn't true. You will not burn more muscle then fat. Fat will still be burned in far greater quantities then muscle especially if you get in adequate protein and lift weights. If you have plenty of excess fat stores, this statement is even more false. Only if you are already at a low body fat percentage would this statement even begin to be accurate.

For all the garbage and pseudoscience this article spewed out it does have 1 redeeming sentence. This single sentence could replace the entire article and is why I am firmly against very low calorie dieting. It's really all you need to read to not go on a VLCD.
    "You are also not likely to stay on this type of eating plan for long, and you will eventually go back to your normal eating patterns. All the weight will come back". For this reason more so then any other reason at all, calories need to be kept at a reasonable level.
  • JaneLane33
    JaneLane33 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Gallstones are a frequent complication of losing weight too fast.
  • vismal
    Options
    They can be, I agree. But the way the author presents it makes it sound like it will almost certainly happen and you will most likely need to have your gallbladder removed if you go on a VLCD. They are vastly overstating the risk IMO.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I stopped reading when it said:

"Eating less than 1,200 calories per day will send your body into starvation mode."

That is one of the famous myths regarding weight loss.
  • Carley
    Options

Are you still losing?

Not as fast as everyone else but yes I am. I look at weight loss not as a sprint but a long marathon. Not all calories are equal. I would rather 200 calories in nuts then 100 calories of processed foods.
  • Carley
    Options
    This single sentence could replace the entire article and is why I am firmly against very low calorie dieting. It's really all you need to read to not go on a VLCD.
    "You are also not likely to stay on this type of eating plan for long, and you will eventually go back to your normal eating patterns. All the weight will come back". For this reason more so then any other reason at all, calories need to be kept at a reasonable level.

I completely agree with this!!! I find being on 1800 calories (I exercise too) I have more freedom, I enjoy food more, and I can doth is for life. I feel awesome!!!!
  • vismal
    Options

Not as fast as everyone else but yes I am. I look at weight loss not as a sprint but a long marathon. Not all calories are equal. I would rather 200 calories in nuts then 100 calories of processed foods.
    This is incorrect. All calories are equal. A calorie is not a subjective thing. A calorie is a unit of measurement. By definition a calorie is the energy needed to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water through 1 °C. To say not all calories are equal is like saying not all inches are equal.
  • Carley
    Options
    It turns out, some calories count more than others. Sure, there are 100 calories in two tablespoons of chocolate chips, and the very same 100 calories in broccoli. But there’s a huge difference in the way that they affect your appetite, your energy level, and your long-term health.

Researchers have found that not all calories are created equal and that the types of calories you eat, particularly after losing weight, can have a profound effect on how efficiently your body burns calories and keeps off unwanted pounds.
  • StraubreyR
    StraubreyR Posts: 631 Member
    Options

Same here, and I am losing just fine, and feeling great! I do use the TDEE - 20 method, because I like to be able to eat the same amount of calories each day. I find that works better for me.
  • vismal
    Options
    It turns out, some calories count more than others. Sure, there are 100 calories in two tablespoons of chocolate chips, and the very same 100 calories in broccoli. But there’s a huge difference in the way that they affect your appetite, your energy level, and your long-term health.

Researchers have found that not all calories are created equal and that the types of calories you eat, particularly after losing weight, can have a profound effect on how efficiently your body burns calories and keeps off unwanted pounds.
    No, I'm sorry but research has not found that calories are different. Foods can affect you differently, sure. Chocolate is different then broccoli, of course. A calorie however is a unit of measurement. It simply isn't subjective. By definition it cannot change. Again a calorie is simply the amount of energy needed to raise a gram of water 1 degree C. Absolutely nothing can change that. There is no calorie that has more or less energy then that.

Saying calories can be different is like saying inches can be different. If a man is 6'5 and grows an inch it might be perceived different than if a 4'11 woman also grows an inch. The inch however is not different. It's never different. It's always still an inch.

If you do have a research article that shows a case where a calorie in fact do not raise 1 gram of water by 1 degree C please share them.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options

Is that Daria's freind? I love Daria.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I have found this be true for me as well, but I would not say that it's a given for everyone. All it takes to lose weight is to eat at a calorie deficit and it doesn't matter what you eat.
    Please provide peer reviewed citations to these studies.
  • Carley
    Options

No, I'm sorry but research has not found that calories are different. Foods can affect you differently, sure. Chocolate is different then broccoli, of course. A calorie however is a unit of measurement. It simply isn't subjective. By definition it cannot change. Again a calorie is simply the amount of energy needed to raise a gram of water 1 degree C. Absolutely nothing can change that. There is no calorie that has more or less energy then that.

Saying calories can be different is like saying inches can be different. If a man is 6'5 and grows an inch it might be perceived different than if a 4'11 woman also grows an inch. The inch however is not different. It's never different. It's always still an inch.

If you do have a research article that shows a case where a calorie in fact do not raise 1 gram of water by 1 degree C please share them.

I'm a RD dietician

I do not find my facts online.
  • JaneLane33
    JaneLane33 Posts: 80 Member
    Options

Is that Daria's freind? I love Daria.
    It is her friend Jane. Years ago I used to get people telling me I looked like her. which is odd to look like a cartoon character. I figured I'd borrow her for my MFP identity.
  • vismal
    Options

I'm a RD dietician

Facts are facts no matter where you find them. People asked you for the research you mentioned that proves not all calories are the same. You dodged the question entirely and mentioned your credentials instead. Please point us to the research you mentioned that proves a calorie can ever be something other than the amount of energy required to raise 1 gram of water 1 degrees C.
  • SFyffe
    SFyffe Posts: 1
    Options
    I stopped reading when it said:

"Eating less than 1,200 calories per day will send your body into starvation mode."

That is one of the famous myths regarding weight loss.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I'm a RD dietician

So you're a registered dietitian dietitian? Oh man, double the D power. (Just the tip please)

So you're saying you don't review anything in pubmed? You should find a new career path then, something in homeopathics.