Lifting for weight loss

Options
Hi guys!

I'm wondering if it's absolutely necessary to do cardio to lose weight or can I do just strength training?

I have about 20-30 pounds to lose, if that changes anything.

Thanks in advance, feel free to add me if you like new friends!

- Alyssa

Replies

• JonnyQwest
    JonnyQwest Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    You can do strength training only and you will end up with a better body when it's all said and done (than doing it with cardio alone)....will take longer but will be worth it.
  • carolina554
    Options
    I agree. With lifting weights you will raise your metabolism and burn fat as well. However, a combination of cardio and weight lifting will provide the best results, with of course a clean diet,
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Cardio burns fat. Strength training burns fat and preserve muscle mass. A mix is a good idea.
  • DianeinCA
    DianeinCA Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I recommend looking through a thread such as http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/977538-halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky to see results other MFPers have gotten. (I admit I'm biased. I think lifting heavy is the best exercise.)

I think doing lots of cardio makes you a smaller version of the fat you. Lifting weights shapes your body.
  • HAB389
    HAB389 Posts: 3
    Options
    I have a similar issue. I've even dieting and doing (light) cardio for about 5 months and have only really lost 5 pounds. I'm wondering if this is due to having a really low muscle mass in general. I went through a weird anorexia period and probably lost most of my muscle during that time. When I gained the weight back, I've noticed it's been soooooooo hard to lose.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I have a similar issue. I've even dieting and doing (light) cardio for about 5 months and have only really lost 5 pounds. I'm wondering if this is due to having a really low muscle mass in general. I went through a weird anorexia period and probably lost most of my muscle during that time. When I gained the weight back, I've noticed it's been soooooooo hard to lose.

lifting weight won't make you lose weight (on the scale) faster but you will look better, much better eventually. it takes time, patience, diligence and some research on the routines and forms.
  • becmarkwick
    becmarkwick Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    read the new lifting rules for women - it explains what we've been doing wrong for years. But to have any effect you need to lift heavy - start with the Olympic bar with no weight on it - 20kgs. Check out stronglifts 5x5. The age old thing of using a pink weight and doing 3 sets of 15 reps won't help much. :o)
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavy is definitely the best, but if you'd like to add cardio for extra fat burning, look for something that's high volume and low intensity like walking. This way, you burn a greater percentage of fat versus actual muscle (at the higher levels, once you burn through your glycogen stores, your body will access a higher ratio of muscle:fat because muscle is easier to breakdown than fat when immediate energy is needed --- at the lower levels, you'll burn more fat).
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    You don't have to do either to lose weight. You can do that through diet alone if you want.

Do cardio for cardiovascular health.

Do lifting for strength, muscle preservation while cutting, bone density, and appearance.

Both will burn calories.