Physically Disabled looking for friends!

Options
Hey! I have a disability called Familial Spastic Paraperisis, or also called Hereditary Spastic Paraplegia, which just affects my legs with muscle weakness and how I walk. I'm looking to add friends who are trying to lose weight with physical disabilities! You can even be wheelchair bound! I just need some more friends with similar disabilities who can relate to my struggle! Thanks!

Replies

• cholepapi
    cholepapi Posts: 79
    Options
    Let's go. I'm a disabled vet. I fell off the treadmill today...hehe uggghhh....
  • amosmoses88
    amosmoses88 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    That would be me running haha. I have terrible balance too, so it doesn't help for me to be in any kind of hurry. I love walking and running on the treadmill (wish I could afford one!) The handles help me balance and actually focus on my running rather than who/what I'm going to walk/run into haha.
    Let's go. I'm a disabled vet. I fell off the treadmill today...hehe uggghhh....
  • cholepapi
    cholepapi Posts: 79
    Options
    Great sense of humor. It's the best motivation. :D
  • stephicozar
    stephicozar Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have osteoarthritis in my lumbar and thoracic spine and hip. Had it since my mid-teens. Now I'm 29 and it really sucks to have 'the spine of an 80 year old'. Referred pain and nerve damage from my multiple herniated discs and osteophytes can really make it difficult to get moving and stay moving. Sometimes I just want to stop and cry 'It Hurts!' but so far I've managed to keep on the move (thanks in part to my beautiful physiotherapist).
  • karenrich77
    karenrich77 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I have Fibromyalgia.. OK so that would be OK, I could cope, if we didn't have 24/7 vertigo thrown in (for the past 3.5 years!).

I walk for between 30-90 mins a day 3000-10000 steps) doing laps around the inside of my house, I bounce of walls, run into door handles, tables, benches, doorframes, I have also been known to fall off the loo and through shower doors (luckily they open as I do), if people couldn't see it with their own eyes, they would think my poor hubby beat me!!

It's clearly not safe for me to exercise outside lol

But hey! I am doing it! 18.6kg down! A bit black and blue but getting up every morning with the attitude that Fibro and Vertigo 'YOU WILL NOT STOP ME' is the thing I am most proud of on this journey.

Please add me if you like a little humour added to your day and a bit of positivity where we can throughout sometimes cruddy times!
  • gpoliver
    gpoliver Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    OMG I just wanna add all of you, because ya'll are funny as heck. Back problems...little Lupus thrown in, blind in one eye, no depth perception... knock kneed pigeon toed.... ya thats me, and I kick *kitten* at what I do (at least in my mind) so please feel free to add me, you would make my day, and I am good for encouragement (or a laugh or two)

oh and PS, I have been doing a while... my ticker will always say lost zero lbs.... I hate that thing and get obsessed with those dang numbers! But I know what I am talking about I promise.
  • Gpistons
    Gpistons Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hmm.. I have depression, Not a disability but hearing you guys motivates me and u really put a smile on my face.. Id like to add you, I wont feel offended if you dont except.. Have an amazing day
  • karenrich77
    karenrich77 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    OMG I just wanna add all of you, because ya'll are funny as heck. Back problems...little Lupus thrown in, blind in one eye, no depth perception... knock kneed pigeon toed.... ya thats me, and I kick *kitten* at what I do (at least in my mind) so please feel free to add me, you would make my day, and I am good for encouragement (or a laugh or two)

oh and PS, I have been doing a while... my ticker will always say lost zero lbs.... I hate that thing and get obsessed with those dang numbers! But I know what I am talking about I promise.

Feel free to add me!
  • JessMoTX
    JessMoTX Posts: 74
    Options
    We're already friends, but I have a total hip replacement and I'll be getting a revision in September. I had my hip replaced 15 years ago, so it's time for a new one.
  • amosmoses88
    Options
    All of you are awesome! I really hope more people find this thread. I can't be the only one out there that's disabled and needing to lose weight. lol. I think when you have any kind of disability, you've got to have a sense of humor about it!
  • IkaAnn
    IkaAnn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    All of you are such an inspiration! I have bad knees, which makes walking and standing very difficult and painful. I am doing water walking. I feel no pain walking in the pool - I encourage you to try it out.
  • amosmoses88
    Options
    I love the pool, but the only one that isn't crowded in the summer is the fitness pool at the gym. Which is expensive. I'm going to try to save up for the body assessment and get a gym membership. I love swimming, so I know I'd do great. They have a pool class for older people, but I'd be on their level since I have joint/muscle problems. lol.
  • stephicozar
    stephicozar Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'd love to be able to go to the pool. Its always the first thing people say when I tell them of my osteoarthritis. But I'm allergic to chlorine! No salt water pools around here (and even those have chlorine in them these days) and am 3 hours from the beach. We have the lake, but its in a constant state of blue-green algae attack and I wouldn't go near it with a gas mask and a spacesuit!

But I can see the appeal and the benefit of swimming and water-aerobics. Go for it :) It'll be so fun.
  • amosmoses88
    Options
    More people need to find this thread! :)
  • spookie10
    spookie10 Posts: 14
    Options

Feel free to add me!
  • Swtsassy65
    Swtsassy65 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I will join you. I am way to overweight to do much plus also have copd and diabetic.
    Any one??? add me. The more the better
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    I'm technically somewhat disabled right now. (temporarily).
    Had my 2nd spine fusion 7 weeks ago. My first one was 10yrs ago. I have Scoliosis.
    I'm an extremely active person though and I tend to bounce back very fast.
    Anyone can feel free to add me. I post pretty often.
  • fawndanielle
    fawndanielle Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    i just joined i have mobility problems with my left side and i have back problems. i have no friends yet. i dont know how to tone parts of my body that dont work. i started losing weight about 2 years ago. i got really sick the dr.s found out i had stomach cancer. but sense its been gone i have lost 87 pounds so far. i want to loss 90 more pounds. do you want to be my friend
  • JenGigglesGray
    JenGigglesGray Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello all,
    I have depression, arthritis pain and had back surgery in 2015.
    Some exercises are impossible like anything on the floor, to much strain on knees ( squats , lunges etc)
    I've lost about 35-40 lbs in almost a year and have 40-50 more to go.
    Looks for support, ideas on exercise modification as I now have flab that needs to be toned up .
    I can go kind of quiet in comments but will read and like to help support you on your journey as well.
    My dog and I go walking most everyday, took over 8 months but we are up to a 2 mile walk .
    Please feel free to add me
  • spookysoups
    spookysoups Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi Yall! feel free to add me along as well. I am an above knee amputee. For some reason, I too have balance issues :p I've lost 16 pounds as of this morning, and have a good 40 or so to go. I couldn't fit in my leg anymore I got so big. I don't like wearing my prosthetic because it simply isn't a good fit except for when I'm the weight I was when it was fitted. So I have to add lots of 'socks' to make it fit when I'm thinner. Never ending battle. Insurance won't cover it either :( But HEY, I can crutch nicely for short distances and then I can tell people, walk a mile in MY shoe :wink: ) I sat too long in my wheelchair and forgot to watch what I eat. I'm a former sugar queen, and cut it all out. I feel amazing now! Tons of energy! I lift small weights as well. I figure ANY movement is better than none. I can do wheelies too :p