What is it like to loose over 100lbs?

Options
Darton2010
Darton2010 Posts: 137 Member
Hey everyone,

My name is John I am a morbidly obese person, been that way my entire life and have always struggled with my weight due to never feeling satisfied and hungry all the time. Its funny I have never been asked by any doctor I have been to, to loose weight, my weight was defended by a doctor once. My blood pressure and heart rate has always been that of a fit person, 75 over 110, heart rate 65 either a tad lower or higher than both numbers, but by BMI im morbid by definition. I have not used myfitness long maybe a week or so but since I started using I made a much more agressive diet. There was a diet I read about and kind of liked called the hunter gather diet, basicly staying under 50g of carbs and 1000-2000 calories per day eating nothing processed, just meats and veggies basically. About 3 months ago I cut down on my intake and used my starting weight than for myfitness and weighted myself once since starting the new diet. The most I have ever lost was 50lbs and I felt great but over a period of a year gained just about all of it back. What I like about this new diet is it cuts what caused me troubles in the past, Pasta and cheese, main two ingredients in my diet, used to be anyway. I can still have cheese but I really try to limit my portions. Im thinking about a sergery this year, I have really not wanted to go under the knife but im 23 and have been 100+ lbs over my entire life loosing and gaining over and over. I will sit tight to see how this new diet treats me for awhile, but its been really tough so far, constantly hungry the kinda hungry you get from not eating for a day or two. I also found im less hungry when I dont eat at all than if I just have small meals. Not something I do on purpose just happens sometimes, the day flyies by and the sun is going down when im fixing a meal. Guess I didnt plan to wright this much but it has gotten my mind off my stomach growling lol. Fyi I dont starve myself by any means I eat 2-3 times a day. Anyway im looking for a bit of motivation on how the transition from 100+lbs over weight to loosing over 100lbs? Like I said before I have always been very over weight but lived a very active life style growing up.

Replies

• patzane67
    patzane67 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hello John. First continue working hard and you will see success. I played football for many years and once my playing days were over I went from 310 playing weight to 405 top weight as of Jan this year. I am 41yr of age not playing sports any longer and made a decision make a life changing move by eating rite and lots of exercise activity. My current weight is 338 and I and looking to drop another 125-150 lbs. You just need to know this is not a fast process and will take time. (We did not put this weight on over night and it will not come off over night). This most important thing is to eat healthy meals and have snack between meals until your body adjust to this new change. Trust me the weight will come off just take is slow, we have years to work on this new change
  • iamalittlemouse
    Options
    Hey there John. I eat small kid size portions throughout the day.....so basically 6 meals a day. My diet is high protein....so I eat lots of cheese, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, and lean meat. I try to get between 60-90g of protein a day. I try to get my protein from natural sources (food), but will sometimes have a protein shake made with milk and protein powder. The rest of my diet is filled with fruit and veggies, and a little bit of whole grains. If I drink anything, it's usually milk or water with flavouring. I try to eat low fat, and low sugar. For exercise, I walk....or sometimes play Wii Fit.

A weight loss of over 100 lbs feels great. I no longer have sore legs, sore knees, sore feet, sore back. It's amazing how much the weight makes you feel sore! I can walk long distances, and I don't huff and puff when I'm walking or going up/down stairs. It's a big difference. The only bad thing about extreme weight loss, is the excess skin. It kind of just hangs around.... No biggie though.
  • AlliBarlik
    AlliBarlik Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    What does it take to lose over 100lbs? Work, dedication, movement, and eating. John, you can do this. It didn't come on over night, and it won't go away overnight. You. Can. Do. This.
    For me, it was my health that shocked me into reality--but it sounds like you are otherwise healthy. Keep that up! :) If you are concerned that your doctor missed something (by not encouraging you to lose weight), I would suggest maybe finding another one. You don't have to be sick or have symptoms to not be "healthy".
    Log your food--good or bad!
    Move every day--even if it's just a little at a time--you'll work towards more.
    Strength train--work on those muscles--this I love!
    And EAT! Moderation! Moderation! Moderation! I wish you success!
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Hi John,

I lost 110 pounds, but at one point 115 but it was short lived. you can read part of my story at the below link.

Part of what I didn't write below is what I changed in my eating habits. First, let me tell you, you might want to see a dietitian. Seeing one has helped me TREMENDOUSLY! She helped me with food and exercise! Next: I now eat three small meals and two - three snacks per day. and LOTSA water! this has helped my body stay on track.

As far as exercise, I started out with just cardio, but I will recommend to anyone to start out with cardio AND strength. I didn't add in strength until four months in, however, it's a HUGE benefit.

ohh... and it feels AMAZING to lose that kind of weight - AND keep it off!!! :heart:

Best of luck to you!!! :flowerforyou:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1305329-excuses-excuses
  • CCSavage88
    CCSavage88 Posts: 191
    Options
    I don't know but I bet it feels DAMN GOOD!...Keep rocking & best of luck to you!!
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Hi John!

First of all welcome to MFP, if used correctly this tool will help you reach your goals. But understand that the hard work it will take to reach those goals you have will not be easy. It will take dedication, being 100% honest with yourself, and literally blood, sweat and tears to make it happen. Losing 100 pounds feels amazing, for me it felt even better because I did it on my own without surgery. I feel like a completely different person not only physically but also mentally, the 375lb extreme obese type 2 diabetic train wreck that I was in 2012 has died. This person that I have rebuilt is the only thing left, and I wouldn't trade the journey for anything.

When ready read this http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here

and if you want to read more about me take a look at my profile and follow the link to my blog. You can read the "I am who I am" message and see my entire story.

You got this!!!
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Losing 100 pounds feels amazing, for me it felt even better because I did it on my own without surgery.

QFT

edited for emphasis...
  • tracy_getsfit
    tracy_getsfit Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I understand what you are going through. I have since grade school been 100+ pounds overweight and wanted to have surgery. But I wanted to prove to myself that I could do this on my own. In 11 months I have lost over 140 pounds. By eating healthy and moving. If you want some advice or tips message me or add me. Would love to help you on your journey.
  • MeanNurseGM95
    MeanNurseGM95 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I always felt hungry too but after starting mfp and measuring my food I quickly learned I can still eat a lot of food if I change what I eat. 2 cups of broccoli is only 60 calories. As I have gone on with this I gradually needed less food and I feel more satisfied now than I did when I ate unhealthy foods. If I want candy or something sweet I do it after I have already had a healthy choice wich helps me from overeating the treat. I do have to have a plan for my day ahead of time and I keeps healthy snacks with me in case my life gets crazy. I also look at nutrition info ahead of time before I eat out so I have a plan in place. You can do this just remember to forgive yourself when you make mistakes and keep moving.
  • FattyFatsoMcTubby
    FattyFatsoMcTubby Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I can't even put into words how wonderful it feels. Physically and mentally, I feel like a new person. But unless you are prepared to change your lifestyle, your success will likely be short lived. Don't view this as a diet with a goal and an end date. When I've taken that approach in the past, I put all the weight back on and had to start all over again. I love being thinner, and I love my new lifestyle.

You can do this and I'll be rooting for you!
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    what you need to remember is it won't happen over night. you shouldn't try to loose too quickly and you shouldn't have a diet that is so severe you're hungry all the time. this is a life style change not a diet. it's important to fully understand that. there will never be a going back to the way you were if you don't want to gain it back.

it's also important to learn the actual signals of real hunger vs boredom eating (or other things that trigger it falsely) once a week it might be helpful to juice fast for a day just to get in touch with what real hunger feels like for you.
  • jobaby894
    jobaby894 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi John,
    I know you can do this!! Make sure you eat enough fiber as well, it will help you feel full longer. DON'T GIVE UP!!!!! We are all here rooting you on!!!!!!!!
  • funsmile1234
    funsmile1234 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I too was morbidly obese. My starting weight was 375. How does it feel to lose 100 pounds! AWESOME! I can actually walk without having to sit down every few steps, my back doesn't hurt all the time and my overall health is better. Lower cholesterol, lower blood pressure. I sleep better. If you're struggling to lose weight and keep it off it's really important to find out the root cause of your obesity. For me it was incredible woundedness in my soul that caused my food addiction. As I began to heal the food addiction just left and I was able to be highly successful with weight loss. I also set myself for success by not having the junk food in my house anymore and I eat pretty clean. Whole and healthy. 90 percent of my food is made from scratch. Has made all the difference in the world. I still give myself allowances for sweets and junk food very rarely but so I don't feel as though I'm not completely depriving myself. I think it's great that you're reaching out. That's the first step to change. Good luck :)
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    It feels freaking wonderful! I have to tell you, you don't realize how much being morbidly obese effects your every day life until your not any more. Being able to roll over easily in bed, crossing my legs at the knee, getting up from a chair without effort. All of these little things and so many others feels wonderful. If you use this site the way it should be, it will be a tremendous help. Count every calorie, weigh and measure all your food and figure out the correct amount you should be eating and you will succeed. Some people will tell you to restrict certain foods. I think you can eat anything you want in moderation as long as your at your calorie goal. If you occasionally mess up and over eat, don't beat yourself up over it. It happens to every single one of us. The key is to just keep going. You've made a great first step!!!!
  • sparklelioness
    sparklelioness Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    It feels amazing :) It is so, so worth it. I feel more at home in my body and in my skin, I'm more comfortable wherever I go, and I can walk around for hours without being tired or uncomfortable.

A big thing for me was letting go of mess ups and just moving on. Before, if I messed up even a tiny bit, like going over by 100 calories at breakfast, I said "well, day is messed up now, might as well eat a bunch of decadent food and start again tomorrow". Now I know how self-defeating that mindset is. Now if I go over, I totally realize that 100 calories over is a lot better than 1000 calories over, and that EVERY little step I take towards health and fitness matters. If I go out for a walk and am not feeling it and come in after 20 mins - at least I did 20 mins! If I dont exercise - at least I stayed on track with calories! Every little bit helps.

You can do it - just don't ever give up, no matter what :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!