Please help fat man climb a mountain...

Hi,

I'm Kevin From Queensland in Australia. I am a 46 year old male.

Almost three months ago I was 113 kg at 176 cm tall. I started on a low carb diet, and managed to lose about 10kg. It was easy with pretty rapid weight loss and I was not at all hungry, however exercise was terrible as I just kept running out of energy and i was getting light headed. I worked out what calories I was consuming with MFP and it was around 1200 k cal a day. Not enough with exercise by the way I was feeling I guess.

I really do want to get much fitter and leaner so I switched to MFP as I found when I ate carbs I exercised better. The made me feel hungrier but I felt better. I was craving carbs before also, and did want some in my diet so to me low carb is not a long term option mentally.

While setting up MFP, I decided a 1kg loss would be the way to go and I have lost 3 kg in the past 30 days, but I did badly overeat on a few days out mostly due to being fed up and wanting a beer then overeating following drinking. Stupid I know but I didn't get to 113 kg by being sensible. At the moment with a loss set at 1 kg per week my daily net calories are 1310 and I eat my exercise calories. I exercise for around an hour a day, with one / two rest days a week. I cycle (mountain bike) and walk. I have seen my fitness improve and walking 10 km or cycling 20 km is no problem nowadays. I do want to learn to run, but I want to lose a bit more weight first.

However I am getting increasingly hungry and feeling tired especially on rest days. I'm not sure what to do at this stage. Should I aim to lose less weight and take the long term approach by setting my weight loss in MFP as .5 kg per week and having more daily calories or continue on a 1 kg loss a week.

I do want to maintain muscle and aim to look fit in time. I would like a quick fix but I would rather be able to maintain my weight better in the long term.

What I'm trying to say is 1310 kcal to little? am I exercising too much? Where do I go from here?

Replies