What's the deal with coffee?

Options
My weight loss has really stalled. Not sure what I'm dong wrong. The only bad habit I have left to deal with is how much coffee I drink, I drink too much of it, I know. Is it true that it increases insulin resistance?

Replies

• Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I drink two cups a day, one in the morning and one in the afternoon., Black with splenda. Drinking coffee does not affect my weight loss at all. I love my coffee!
  • NatureRunnerGirl
    NatureRunnerGirl Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I would also love to know that answer. I do not use sugar or any sweetners other than half and half. I do count the calories for it. I have heard from a few doctors that artificial sweetners will prevent fat burning.
  • paniolo5
    paniolo5 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I'm not familiar with that aspect of it - everything I have read (mainly in Prevention magazine) is that coffee is actually good for you, especially if you are at risk for Alzheimer's as you age. So I don't see coffee as a bad habit. However, if you are adding things to it - sugar, creamer - that could be where the problem lies.

i would review your food journals - are you eating too little? Too many processed foods? Not enough water?
    And review your exercise journals. Sometimes it just take a little spike in exercise to get the scale moving again.

Good luck! Hopefully someone will have a better answer on the insulin resistance part.
  • lfbarrett
    lfbarrett Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've read a ton of books on diets, health, fitness, homeopathy etc and the books that seemed to offer the best advice, ones that were endorsed by homeopathic or naturopathic doctors always say to cut out coffee.....have you ever looked up "macrobiotics" check out, it too discourages coffee.....i absolutely love coffee, it's my best friend in the morning....i love it so much that i import my coffee direct to my front door from Costa Rica....but I know that if you really want to watch what you're putting in your body then you probably should seriously minimize your coffee intake...and if you switch to decaf make sure it's swiss-water decaf (others use chemicals to remove the caffiene) i only drink 2 cups a day (500 ml) it's very addictive, i go off it every year for 3 wks when i do my detox/cleanse and for the first week i have a serious headache....so i definitely know i'm addicted....if something you're eating/drinking causes headaches when you stop then yah! it's a problem....but like most things, moderation is the key.
  • ncqueenbee
    ncqueenbee Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I love my coffe as well and don't plan on giving it up. I watch Dr. Oz everyday, and he says to make sure you drink one cup of water for every cup of coffee you drink....that's in addition to your daily allowance because coffee dehydrates you. This has helped me and has not stalled my weight loss.
  • mcanals123
    Options
    i found this answer on a website but i dont know how much of it is true since i have tried several diets and they all tell u to drink coffee just without the creamers and sugars n stuff. I myself am addicted to coffee and cant function without it in the morning but i have cut back to having it black with only 1 tbs of half and half and adding sugar free syrups from starbucks.

Caffeine Increases Insulin Resistance
    Research shows that caffeine contributes to insulin resistance, a condition that reduces the body’s ability to use insulin effectively. When our bodies’ become resistant to insulin, glucose and insulin build up in the blood, endangering our health and increasing our risk of developing Type II Diabetes. Drinking coffee can also cause insomnia and sleep deprivation, both of which have been found to increase insulin resistance. Kicking the caffeine habit can help to lower your risk of insulin resistance and help you to manage your weight more effectively.
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Graham's findings seem to represent a reason to re-evaluate your daily coffee pattern. Most experts would agree cutting back on your afternoon or evening consumption is a wise step. You give the body -- specifically the central nervous system -- a chance to recalibrate its insulin response.

"The increasing effect of coffee on insulin resistance is acute in the here and now," said Graham, chairman of the human biology and nutritional services department at the university. "We know it lasts for a few hours."

from: http://www.seattlepi.com/health/229974_condor27.html
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    If you look for it long enough you can find arguments for and against coffee or caffine use. Just like the difference of opinion on what sweetner to use, it will come down to personal choice. I for one am not and do not plan to give up my coffee. I have cut down to 3-4 cups a day, with a little low fat half and half in it. In the morning I have "leaded" and in the afternoon I have "un-leaded". What can I say, I like the taste of coffee with cream.