I need new shoes... help!

Options
Hi All,

For the past year I have been wearing Nike free 5.0's. They are super comfy and I do love them, despite somethings getting cramps in my arches.
I recently ran my first 5k and afterwards I developed shin splints...
Could be unrelated as I do overpronate, but I don't think the nike's give me the arch support I need for running/cardio.
I still plan to wear my free's for weight training, but Im looking at getting a new pair of shoes.

I used to wear Brooke's and had no problems with shin splints when running in them, but I don't particularly care for them for weight training and other cardio.

What brand/style do you recommend? I have been looking at New Balance but I have yet to actually try some on..

Replies

• EllaIsNotEnchanted
    EllaIsNotEnchanted Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    -most people will recommend shoes that work for them.
    -keep looking around if you do not like the shoes suggested to you by a shoe store that specializes in running shoes and look at your running form.
    -there is always the option to buy weight training shoes and have Brooke running shoes.
    Shoe party.
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Have you ever gone to a running store and had someone check it out? That would be my first suggestion. From there, they can bring you a few different model and brands you can then try out for yourself.

As far as lifting, depending on your routine, a compressed sole is not recommended for certain lifts, as in, Squats and Deadifts. Bare feet, socks, Chuck Taylor, or something with a flat sole, would be optimal.
  • katerams
    katerams Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have been lifting in my nikes for a year (squats, deadlifts, lunges, cleans, KB work etc) with no problems?
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I have been lifting in my nikes for a year (squats, deadlifts, lunges, cleans, KB work etc) with no problems?

Depending if you're going "heavy" , remember heavy is only relative to yourself, a compressed shoe can cause stability issues with those type of lift. Therefor, it's recommended and beneficial to lift with a flat sole. The close to the ground, the better, and more power you can generate.
  • daynerz
    daynerz Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Lift with puma
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Could be unrelated as I do overpronate, but I don't think the nike's give me the arch support I need for running/cardio.

gov and get properly fitted for running shoes, and only use them for running.

As you overpronate you're more likely to benefit from a motion control shoe, but you'll damage the ability to contorl the motion of your running if you use them for other things.