LONNNNNGG Runs...

Options
Hey fellow runners,
So i just had a quick question about long runs. Yesterday I ran about 5 miles give or take (I always underestimate rather than overestimate) and that's pretty much all I can do distance wise. Actually no, I have done 6 miles a couple of times, but at that point, I start to notice that my knees hurt and they feel like they are going to give out on me, so I stop. How do you guys who run marathons and half-marathons push through the pain? Is it just that I need to strengthen my knees more? Should I just be ignoring the pain I feel and keep on running? I'm sure I can do a 10k and even a half marathon, but a marathon seems like it does more damage than good.

Replies

• robles0209
    Options
    how fast are you running your five to six miles. I find that on my long runs I have to slow down my pace quite a bit in order to last the entire time. Do not ignore your knee pain but it also helps that you lift leg weights to build up your strength. Hope this helps you.

Don't forget to ice your knee after long runs and sometimes if you can handle it take alieve or advil before the run.
  • emorym
    emorym Posts: 344
    Options
    I use the run walk method. It seems to work for me. An interval timer is a good thing to help keep you on track. I did my first half ironman this weekend and used this method for the 13 mile run portion. There were tons of people around me doing the same thing. I would like to be able to run that distance but this is what I am able to do now and getting out there is the important thing.
  • cheapassmama
    Options
    I don't run through pain. Soreness, sure, but not pain.

If you are sore, try stretching your ITB - the muscle between your hip and knee, use a foam roller (youtube ITband & foam roller), ice. Wall sits to strengthen your quads, and add miles slowly - only about 10% each week.

halhigdon.com is a good resource for training plans.
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    could also be runners knee. Where does it hurt? Outside of the knee area that radiates up your thigh or down your calf is normally IT issues. Its usually SHARP pain. Runners knee is affected around your knee cap. Its normally a ache pain. You may need new shoes, may need to slow down, you may be running on tired legs to much or your running to fast to much in the week. Basically overdoing it. You should run a few small runs and a nice long to mid run maybe 1 week till you build up. I normally do 3 days at 4 miles and do a 6-8 miler on the weekends. My long run is slow. I have 1 faster run and the rest are just whatever...I do that sort of during my off times bewteen races. I pick up miles depending on the races. I will swim and bike coming up here soon to start getting ready for tri season training. This summer I only ran.
    You can also start some slow yoga. Hot yoga is great for runners. Ice is great. Anti inflammatories are great :) If it gets worse or doenst go away I would see a orthopedist