Need some Advice

Options
So I see a lot of great challenges on here for P90X and Turbo Jam and am interested in what, if any, the fitness level is needed to start these programs.

I am 226 pounds and am fairly active as I walk approximately 2 miles a day with my dog..but I am finding I need a more intense cardio/toning program to keep the weight dropping.

I have heard that the P90X is not for beginners and no I can't do any pull ups.

I would like something that is good for beginners and ramping up in intensity.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I damn near died doing Insanity...but the thing you have to remember, is to push yourself to YOUR limit, not anyone elses...it's not going to work if you give yourself a heart attack....seriously it doesn't matter your fitness, just listen to your body. Those little girls on Insanity look all ripped, but they have to take breaks too, this is HIGH INTENSITY...it's not just lollygagging on the stationary bike, this is all out *kitten* kicking...but if I can do it anyone can...there's tons of support on here for Insanity and all the other DVD work outs...you just have to try your best
  • mccorml
    mccorml Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    yah i just started insanity today and got my *kitten* kicked.. i was laying on the carpet cuz i didnt wanna get up and rest
  • tater8589
    Options
    You might try walking at a faster pace or even jogging. If it'll fit in your buget a gym would be a good thing cause they have lots of options. Or maybe even a a bike, regular or stationery. Hmm... you might even look for a dvd workout that specifies for beginners. I'm looking at yoga for beginners, just been waiting for pay day to come lol.
  • ANewNorene
    ANewNorene Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I personally have not tried P90X work outs, just the thought of "insanity" made me run the other way since I already have enough real insanity in my life :laugh:I would suggest Zumba or any other fast pace dancing, its semi-intense and fun. If you are near any type of gym or dance studios, they usually offer it at about $25-$30 a month if its in your budget. Im currently doing Zumba and Hip Hop Dance Class. A couple of years ago I started out at 230lbs now I'm about 169lbs. The dancing REALLY makes the inches come off. I dont have any kids but I suffered from a "mommy pouch", the dancing has made more of a difference than anything else when it comes to my tummy. Hope this helps :wink:
  • aspencer122
    aspencer122 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    When I started P90X for the first time I was 325 pounds. So i think it really doesn't matter where u r at in ur life it depends on ur drive. I just finished it up and saw great improvements not to mention lossing 55 pounds all together. But if all u want to do is loss weight I would really recommend turbo jam. It is soooo much fun and I'm a man lol. Sometimes to kick urself in gear all u need to do is shake ur butt lol.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I think that starting a program that you may not be physically ready for could be discouraging. I'm all for pushing yourself during workouts. But, yes, it should be pushing to YOUR max, not someone else's. Increasing the intensity when you walk can help.. try walking as fast as you can for a few minutes, then a normal pace, then fast again, etc. Perhaps working up to jogging at some point? Add some other types of exercises when you can: bike riding, dancing, strenght training, etc.
  • o2blori
    o2blori Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I love Turbo Jam! That's all I can say. I've lost 30lbs so far, and I wasn't skinny when I started. I'm still not skinny. BUT it's been so worth it!
  • FavDaughter1
    Options
    Maybe try Tony Horton's 10 Minute Trainer series. He uses some of the same principals as P90X, but separated into 10 minute sessions. You can stack them together and do 3 or 4 at a time, or just do one - whatever works for you. If you can master that first, then maybe you can tackle P90X!!!
    Good Luck!
  • jennylynn84
    Options
    I've done SOME P90x... I never finished it because I prefer my gym workout. But my brother and his wife did it. And at first they were both pretty out of shape. They just didn't finish the set. They'd go in with the intention to do a little more of the video than last time, and then a little more and so on and so on until they were able to finish them.

Your fitness level aside, sometimes the workout is just a different routine and is therefore hard to handle. When I started P90x i'd been lifting weights, swimming and playing racquetball, I was at the gym at least 5 times a day. I still did not finish it the first few times I tried it.

No matter what you do for exercise, know your limits. If you dig walking, try jogging in intervals every now and then. But you still have to know when your body has had enough.