The Endgame: what's a healthy weight?

Options
Although I still have a long way to go, and have been setting smaller, achievable goals along the way, it would help to know better what the final target is.

From what I've been reading in online articles and blogs, general consensus seems to be the standard BMI chart is not a good indicator of true healthy weight, that it's an out-dated and inaccurate system created for the insurance industry using very general parameters.

I've also read of a handful of other formulas that can be used to calculate ideal weight, but there seems to be up to a 20 lb. discrepancy between them.

Anyone know of a reputable resource that provides more reliable information on calculating healthy or "normal" weight for your age, gender, and height?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Replies

• terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Yeah, BMI and I are not friends lol. I don't like it at all. If you have any amount of muscle mass, it says that you are overweight. I wasn't in the acceptable BMI range until I was 9% body fat, which is very fit. I watch body fat % as an indicator of body composition. Your weight can vary quite a bit but still have a good body fat %. It just depends on how much muscle you have. How low you want to get your body fat depends on your goals. 10-15% is perfectly fine if you're just trying to get into decent shape. If you want to go lower, it gets more difficult from there.

Allan
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    BMI works fine for me. There is no "one healthy weight". For each of us, it'll be a range. Feel free to use your own judgement as well. Pick a starting point like the top of 'healthy BMI' and then re-assess when you get there.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Anyone know of a reputable resource that provides more reliable information on calculating healthy or "normal" weight for your age, gender, and height?

Your doctor
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    From what I've been reading in online articles and blogs, general consensus seems to be the standard BMI chart is not a good indicator of true healthy weight, that it's an out-dated and inaccurate system created for the insurance industry using very general parameters.

No, it's actually pretty good for the vast majority of people, the vast majority of the time, and there certainly is no "general consensus" to the contrary.

To your question...you can't define "healthy" weight without defining a context and a goal. If you want to be able to survive a six month famine, then "healthy" will have a lot more pudge factor than if your goal is to run fast and far.

Define "healthy" first, and the answer will follow naturally from that.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

Your doctor

Eh. Most doctors only care about BMI. Personally, I'd say anywhere in the 10 pounds range in the middle of the healthy BMI for your height is fine (obviously if you're really into building muscle it doesn't apply).