BACK PAIN sufferers and conquers

Options
Grimmerick
Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
Hello all,

I have a few questions for those of you suffering from or having conquered back pain. My husband has Grade 1 (meaning small) spondylolisthesis and it is causing him all kinds of pain, everyday, all day, pain, spasms, leg weakness and tingling, and loads of Sacroiliac Joint pain and dysfunction. He has not had surgery to fuse the area because we would like to try anti inflammatories, PT and injections first to possibly calm the area enough for him to strengthen his core for lumbar stability. I have a feeling he has a very weak core, he never exercises, and now he can't. So I ask, if you suffer or suffered from back pain, what are you doing or have done all around to help ease or get rid of back pain. What did or do you find works best for you? Whether it be, ice therapy, physical therapy, injections, core strengthening, physical therapy, anti inflammatory foods, quitting smoking. If you had surgery was it successful or did you find you were in more pain or it didn't do anything? Please share and tell me your story I am open for anything. Thanks!!

Replies

• kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I visited my chiropractor who suggested ice therapy each night and strengthening my core. She showed me some stretches and exercises to help.
  • LilithElina
    LilithElina Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hey emmy,

I don't suffer from back pain, so if you don't want my suggestion, that's perfectly understandable.
    However, I am currently reading a nice e-book called Yoga for Regular Guys (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/yoga-for-regular-guys-diamond-dallas-page/1113010204?ean=9781594746888), which is kind of the ancestor to thequite popular DDPYoga program. Diamond Dallas Page (DDP, if you're not into wrestling, like me) had a back injury and used yoga to get rid of his pains. Of course, in a case like your husband's, it would be better to ask his doctor if he's allowed to do yoga, if you want to try.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I have worked in EMS for 11 years and every patient I've ever talked to about a past spine surgery to fix back pain has told me it was one of the worst decisions they've ever made. Complications requiring more surgeries and worsening pain are some of the things they've mentioned. I've never met anyone who said they were happy they did it. I'm not a doctor and this is just anecdotal evidence but this is what I know from talking with my patients over the years. If it were me, I would try everything else before thinking about surgery so I think you guys are headed in the right direction. My mother lost a lot of weight and has used cortisone shots for years with decent results.

Your doctor is the real expert and any decision you make should be in cooperation with him.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    I have lorodosis (a very mild form of scoliosis) resulting in a weak lower back, which frequently caused me back pain during the day, particularly if I was on my feet for too long. The two things I found to be the biggest help to me have been yoga early on to help with my flexibility and basic core strength and compound lifts (specifically squats and deadlifts) to strengthen my lower back. The combination has helped me a lot. He could start with basic bodyweight exercises and progress up from there as he gets stronger. Probably a good idea to talk to a PT though. They'd have better information.
  • Grimmerick
    Options
    Yeah we want to avoid surgery if possible. Most pro football players have spondy's but their cores are so strong it stabilizes the slipping vertebra so much that they either don't notice or it doesnt' usually bother them much. hubs has had this spondy for years since his youth most likely and one friggin car trip down to florida 3 years ago and it has been a nightmare of pain ever since. I just don't understand and it friggin sucks.
  • AdventureFreak
    AdventureFreak Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    MSM, weight loss, chiropractic, and hydration. I have degenerating discs and osteoarthritis and that all helps. My mother had a neck fusion which led to two more in the same place and now she has lost almost all the mobility of her neck and has a lot of the same issue still.
  • Grimmerick
    Options
    MSM, weight loss, chiropractic, and hydration. I have degenerating discs and osteoarthritis and that all helps. My mother had a neck fusion which led to two more in the same place and now she has lost almost all the mobility of her neck and has a lot of the same issue still.

what's MSM?
  • joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I have done stretching exercises, which has helped greatly. There's a series on PBS (and on DVD) that's all about stretching and relieving pain... Classical Stretch. Non-impact. Really, look into it.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Arm chair PT here. No qualifications other than solving my own back pain.

I think he's got a find a way to build muscle around his spine.

http://breakingmuscle.com/mobility-recovery/proof-that-functional-strength-training-cures-low-back-problems-and-pilates-wont

pic3.jpg
    pic4.jpg

To get him help with the pain (from Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spondylolisthesis)

"Anti-inflammatory medications (NSAIDS) in combination with acetaminophen (Tylenol) can be tried initially. If a severe radicular component is present, a short course of oral steroids such as Prednisone or Methylprednisolone can be considered. Epidural steroid injections, either interlaminarl or transforaminal, performed under fluoroscopic guidance can help with severe radicular (leg) pain. Lumbosacral orthoses may be of benefit for some patients but should be used on a temporary basis to prevent spinal muscle atrophy and loss of proprioception. "

Also, get him a weight lifting belt. It should take some of load away from his lower spine. Try to not use it all the time, though. But definitely in the beginning.

Here's a bunch of other articles with ideas:

http://breakingmuscle.com/bmsearch?keys=back pain&default_text=Search

I hope he gets better.
  • LiveLoveLift67
    LiveLoveLift67 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I have been suffering from back pain for 3 months now. My vertebre is bent in my lower back and pressing the nerves causing me sciatica pain. I was very active before this happened. I saw a chiropractor for 12 visits and really didnt notice a huge difference doing that except in my bank account.

I did physical therapy and started a stretching routine and getting massages a couple times a month ( deep tissue / theraputic) and i notice a huge difference since doing that. I also went back to exercising and strengthening my core since i wasent able to exercise for over a month.

I started with walking which was a huge help for me. I found that i had little pain when i walked and it does help the back. I bought a book on stretching and make sure that i do that several times a day. I also use ice on my back a couple times a day plus ibuprofin or advil.

I was going to try yoga but have been hearing that if you suffer from low back pain alot of the moves can make it worse.

I still suffer from mild pain and a spasm now and then but, doing the above things has made it less and less.

As for foods....i noticed ( in my case) when i cut out most of the junk sugar ( sweets , cookies cakes etc) my imflamation went way down as well as not eating as much processed food. Alot of those types of foods have so many addatives etc that can cause imflamation in your cells.

In the several weeks i spent doing nothing but , laying down and resting i felt the worst. Inactivity will make it worse. Hope it helps
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Yoga or Pilates.
  • GFreg
    GFreg Posts: 404
    Options
    Well I never had any severe pain or issues like your husband is experiencing, but I did have a little bit from carrying around extra weight. I was able to take Aleve and I started doing yoga. I have noticed a great improvement. I also notice that strengthening my core with squats and deadlifts was very beneficial. I am not a doctor or anything though so I can't suggest those for your husband.
  • ravenmyst
    ravenmyst Posts: 1
    Options
    I had a bulging disc that was hellish. Walking, meds (just to get out of bed) and PT were life savers. I tried the cotizone injection, but id did nothing for my back pain or the pain that shot down my legs, although it did make my butt numb for a couple days. And then it just takes a lot of time. Ice worked better for me than heat and one of those electrical pulse machines got me through the bad days. Hope this helps and my heart goes out to him. It took almost a year for mine to get better, so expect a long road.
  • sstolii123
    sstolii123 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Emmy! I am a current back pain sufferer due to degeneration in my discs. First of all I am pleased to see their are some helpful suggestions above. My chiropractor recommends the following Lumbar / Core Strengthening and stability, hydration and stretching. Here is a link to exercises and stretches from Princeton University. http://www.princeton.edu/uhs/pdfs/Lumbar.pdf

I have not had surgery or shots in the past
    My Chiro says surgery is the absolute last option!

I would be interested in hearing results from anyone that has had shots to help with pain management!

Regards,
    Steve
  • sstolii123
    sstolii123 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Arm chair PT here. No qualifications other than solving my own back pain.

I think he's got a find a way to build muscle around his spine.

http://breakingmuscle.com/mobility-recovery/proof-that-functional-strength-training-cures-low-back-problems-and-pilates-wont

pic3.jpg
    pic4.jpg

To get him help with the pain (from Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spondylolisthesis)

"Anti-inflammatory medications (NSAIDS) in combination with acetaminophen (Tylenol) can be tried initially. If a severe radicular component is present, a short course of oral steroids such as Prednisone or Methylprednisolone can be considered. Epidural steroid injections, either interlaminarl or transforaminal, performed under fluoroscopic guidance can help with severe radicular (leg) pain. Lumbosacral orthoses may be of benefit for some patients but should be used on a temporary basis to prevent spinal muscle atrophy and loss of proprioception. "

Also, get him a weight lifting belt. It should take some of load away from his lower spine. Try to not use it all the time, though. But definitely in the beginning.

Here's a bunch of other articles with ideas:

http://breakingmuscle.com/bmsearch?keys=back pain&default_text=Search

I hope he gets better.

Great Response!

Thanks for the info as well!
  • cantfail
    cantfail Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I second the Yoga recommendation. Look into DDP Yoga. It is very "guy friendly". In fact it used to be called Yoga for Regular Guys. There is a very inspirational video that went viral a couple of years ago:
    http://youtu.be/qX9FSZJu448

Check it out. I originally looked into it for a client of mine with serious flexibility issues (I'm a trainer), but started doing it myself and I love it. The workouts are on DVD and are really great at encouraging modification based on whatever limitations you might have.
  • jeannemarie333
    jeannemarie333 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I am a back pain sufferer and I too have heard that surgery is a super last resort. I use Yoga, exercises, stretching, ice, massage, and am going to take the idea of core exercises from this topic and start doing them!! thanks for the topic :)
  • lexbubbles
    lexbubbles Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I have rheumatoid arthritis. I find a hot bath helps for immediate pain relief (I pretty regularly "boil myself"). Other than that staying hydrated, eating healthily and trying not to 'over-do' it seems to stave off flare-ups and unmanageable pain for the most part.

Building up core strength will help support the spine itself and take some of the strain away.

Oh, and anti-inflammatory pills when necessary.

Not sure how helpful any of that will be though since our conditions are very different.
  • BrotherBill913
    BrotherBill913 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I broke my spine at the L5, had to re-learn to walk, my left leg was in atrophy and I was in a wheelchair way too long. Then several years later I broke my neck at the C7 - T1 ( Motorcycles, I like to go fast :) ) Almost lost my right hand die to nerve damage. That took a longggggggg time to recover.. Have had pain on and off over the years. right now going through some stuff with knots in my upper back that really suck, lol, I go to massage therapy, the chiropractor. and do stuff at home on my own. Don't quit. Pain can really get us down, it can tear us up physically and mentally. ... Just don't quit.............
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    the best thing you can do to support your back is to strengthen your core - this is from my dr - oh and drop any excess weight that you are carrying

and just to throw an opposing point of view, my mom had 2 ruptured discs in her back repaired surgically 30+ years ago, did her pt day in and day out - still does it sometimes now just to stay flexible - and has never regretted the decision to have the surgery (had had no follow up problems at all).