How often do you weigh in to guarantee a loss

Options
Hi MFP peeps!

How often do you weigh in to guarantee a loss every time on the scale (assuming your are sticking to your food/exercise plan)? I'm thinking every other week?

Replies

• thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Hi MFP peeps!

How often do you weigh in to guarantee a loss every time on the scale (assuming your are sticking to your food/exercise plan)? I'm thinking every other week?
    Every saturday late morning.
  • swenkj
    swenkj Posts: 5
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning to stay on track, but only log it once a week. (Friday mornings)
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I personally weigh myself every day, and log every day or at least every 1-3 days.
    I like keeping track of my water weight, and keeping track of my progress throughout the week. It helps me get a better gauge of my average for the week.
  • MBrothers22
    MBrothers22 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    If you are 100% sure you're eating at a deficit, which a lot of people THINK they are but they're not, then weigh when ever you want.
    I KNOW I am eating at a deficit and I weigh basically every day. My weight comes off in chunks (I've been able to learn this by weighing every day) and if I were to weigh once a week, I might catch it on the day before a chunk comes off. I wouldn't want to go a whole week stressing about not losing so I avoid that by weighing every day. I log it usually on Thursdays or if I notice a loss before that.
  • conqueringsquidlette
    conqueringsquidlette Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    The two things aren't connected. Either you lose or you don't. The weigh-in has nothing to do with "guaranteeing" that.

Maybe I'm reading the question too literally....?
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I weigh in daily but only log losses (and that's after a few days at the same weight). I just find it interesting to see the fluctuations.
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    The two things aren't connected. Either you lose or you don't. The weigh-in has nothing to do with "guaranteeing" that.

Maybe I'm reading the question too literally....?

I read it to mean she wants to make sure that she is actually losing at a particular rate, so she can tweak her food/exercise if necessary.
  • lqichick
    lqichick Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I weigh about every 2 weeks or so. If I did it every day i'd so crazy.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Hi MFP peeps!

You can't guarantee a loss. Your weight fluctuates for many reasons and weight loss is not linear so the number on the scales could say you are heavier even though you are still eating at a deficit.. For this reason you are better following your trend of weightloss rather than the absolute figures. As to when you weigh in that's personal preference. i weigh daily but the daily fluctuations do not bother me. If they would bother you less often is more preferable. You need to weigh at such a frequency that the data collected is useful and will help judge your progress which is why a lot of people advise weekly
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I personally weigh myself every day, and log every day or at least every 1-3 days.
    I like keeping track of my water weight, and keeping track of my progress throughout the week. It helps me get a better gauge of my average for the week.

I like to weigh daily, too, just to see the weight flucuations (I find water retention from lifting fascinating in a geeky way, lol). I also am seeing how women's hormonal shifts during their menstrual cycles affects weight as well. For example, I'm up 1.2 pounds as of the past 2 days, and bingo--period's on it's way in a day or so (TMI, I know, but...science!). I'm trying to stick to a Sunday morning weigh in for consistency (Saturday is my normal rest day), and it will be interesting to see if the water bloat remains. If it's still up--oh well, still significantly lower than last month's weigh in during my period. That's a win!

Weight loss is hardly linear (for the vast majority). As long as the trend is in the right direction, it's working!
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every morning, good or bad. I log it to MFP. I usually have it set so that it doesn't post my losses to my news feed. I only turn that on when I'm approaching a big number.
  • chsa22
    chsa22 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    This isn't necessarily answering the op question, but it's also important to note if your clothes feel looser. If it seems like you're not losing weight, but your clothes are fitting better, than you're losing fat and gaining muscle, which is better than the # just going down.
  • mr_mitch
    mr_mitch Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I jump on my scales as a matter of course, every morning.... And it gets logged because I have those fancy scales that automatically sync your weight and body-fat to my fitness pal.

Obviously sometimes the weight goes up slightly, but you can call up a graph to see the difference over the course of a week / month / year.

The body fat fluctuates quite a bit, but everyone knows these aren't massively accurate on those scales anyway!
  • YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I weigh in daily but only log losses (and that's after a few days at the same weight). I just find it interesting to see the fluctuations.

This. Though, I only log the my weight loss into myfitnesspal after losing 2 pounds for whatever reason.

I think I've learned a lot about myself and how my body reacts to foods and exercises by watching water weigh fluctations.
  • Alonzo_Harris
    Options
    If you can cope with the constant fluctuations of your weight (which is normal) then by all means weigh daily; however if you wish to weigh yourself only when you've made progress then I think every other week does sound about right. I personally did every week on Sunday morning.

For me, day to day weigh-ins are meaningless because you can never really tell whether all the frequent weight losses/gains are from your diet's progress or simply due to natural fluctuations. Weighing in at a 1 or 2 week intervals should give you a much more consistent trajectory of your progress.
  • GracieGag
    GracieGag Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every morning. It helps me keep on track.
  • dylangrrrrl
    dylangrrrrl Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thanks fatdoob and all for the replies! It's interesting that so many people weigh themselves every day. This would drive me to cheeseburgers and craziness!!!

I was attempting to avoid the frustration of seeing a gain on the scale due to normal body fluctuations. It really gets me down to see a small gain after eating at a deficit/exercising. I'll try every 2 weeks, I'm thinking that should do it!
  • dylangrrrrl
    dylangrrrrl Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Well said Alonzo!
  • PinkCupcakes84
    PinkCupcakes84 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Everyday
  • annesoucy57
    Options
    every day for me at the same time, then on friday I make an average.