Fit Bit

Options
lqichick
lqichick Posts: 162 Member
Hey does the Fit Bit that it the arm band work with calories used? Is it good, close? Do you like yours?

Thanks for the help.

Replies

• bekahlou75
    bekahlou75 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Re-write your first question.....it makes no sense.
  • lqichick
    Options
    Very true trying to type between appointments.

Does the Fit Bit wrist band work well? Do you believe the values it give you for calories burned during exercise? thx again
  • criticaltodd
    Options
    I'm not positive I get the question but I think it will estimate the number of calories burned but I think that these estimates are very rough and not reliable. Not sure if you can pair one up with a heart monitor but I think using a heart monitor will make the estimates much more accurate.
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    if I understand your question, i tend to wear my fitbit on my bra and I find it somewhat accurate

I wouldn't wear it on my arm since I I type a lot in the office and I don't want a false reading
  • bekahlou75
    bekahlou75 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I have a Fit Bit One that I wear clipped to my bra. I've never worn an HRM so I can't tell you if it's close or not. I will say that my TDEE that is calculated in the IIFYM site is within 25 calories of the calories that the fit bit tells me I've burned.
  • AzaleaNicole38
    AzaleaNicole38 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    The fitbit is better for counting your daily steps. If you're looking to measure calories burned during exercise, you're better off with a hrm.
    I too was confused, so bought a fitbit thinking it would work like a hrm. Come to find out I have to log my exercise the same way I log it on mfp.

I will say that I love my fitbit regardless because it got me moving and walking a lot more. I still do my 30 minute exercise, but now I also will take the dog for a longer walk, park further from the store, get off the bus a couple stops before my destination etc.

All those added steps seem to be doing some good, because I've been losing weight ever since I started using my fitbit regularly.
  • carriejgray
    Options
    I have a Fit Bit Flex and I love it. It keeps up with your steps and exercise including the intensity of the work out. I have had mine for 3 weeks now and I love it. I helps to keep me moving and off the couch at home. At work I am printing to farthest printer so I can get those steps in.

My husband has had one for 3 months. He works out twice a day and runs regularly. He is the reason I have mine. I thought it would help me stay motivated on my new healthy lifestyle. I am constantly checking my Fit Bit status and MFP for updates.

It also tracks your sleep which is really nice.

Let me know if this didn't answer your question.
  • thornburg57
    thornburg57 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've used Fitbit everyday day for about a year now. I does count calories, steps, distance and active minutes. Not going to go into how accurate it may or may not be, I don't think it matters. You set a goal and check your results throughout the day. I'd be lost without mine.
  • mamarundrc
    mamarundrc Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    I have a fit bit flex and I find it is more helpful for monitoring my total activity for the day than with specific workouts. There are some days that I hit 10000 steps just at work from running around like crazy, other days I barely hit 4000. I think it has helped me choose a better activity level for my lifestyle and helps me adjust calories on days that I don't "workout" but I am extremely active. My profile is set at sedentary since I have a desk job so I days I am on my feet the information is nice to have.

For logging specific workouts, I still use a heart rate monitor. The fitbit can tell activity level but without the heart rate monitoring it can not tell actual exertion. So if you are walking at a slow pace it will look the same as if you are hiking at a slow pace with a 20+ pack. The hiking would obviously be burning more calories but the data would look the same.
  • lqichick
    Options
    Thank you for all of the answers, everyone hit the nail on the head. Do you have a "best pick" of a HRM?
  • criticaltodd
    Options
    If you have a smartphone that supports it, you can look for a bluetooth HRM, such as this one: http://www.wahoofitness.com/devices/wahoo-tickr-heart-rate-strap.html

There are a good number of apps that you can use without having to buy another device to display/log the heart rate data.