How to BULK?

Options

Replies

• AzaleaNicole38
    AzaleaNicole38 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. He's 22 and I'm guessing he wants to gain muscle mass and weight?
    He already has a lot of muscle, but I'm guessing he is thinking that if he weighs more, he will have more muscle. Is that naive thinking, or is he accurate in assuming that?

He is not on any type of program, just lifting dumbells at home and doing exercises that can be done with your own body weight (like squats, push ups.) We could afford to go to the gym, but we would rather put our money elsewhere because we are both students.

he can build some muscle with dumbells and body weigh exercises, but the problem is that it is somewhat limited. the key to building muscle is progressive overload (lifting a progressively more weight) if you just have a set of dumbells as he gets stronger he will soon find that they are to light and he will platto

there is so many different variants of BW exercises out there that people of any fitness level will be able to find one for a given muscle group that they can only do 8 reps or less of. once you start doing more then that you look for a more difficult variant.

I didn't realize that myself until a lot of knowledgeable people proved it to me on this site.

That's a good point, I'm not sure if he's increasing his weight when lifting. I know he alternates between weight, but not at a steady incline. I will let him know about bw exercises as well.

Also he is currently taking six star pro nutrition creatine and whey protein. One in pill form, the latter in powder. I want to buy him a few other things from the line, but is it worth it?

http://www.sixstarpro.ca/products/

I'm sure the whey protein would help, but I don't know if the other products are gimmicky or not.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    anything other then protien suppliments is a gimic IMO

creatine is ok but i don't bother with it.

the thing with suppliments is that they are just the same as food, just more convient to consume.

don't expect anything out of them that you wouldn't from eating food
  • cwoyto123
    cwoyto123 Posts: 308
    Options
    Eat
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link, great read. I am a few weeks into my first attempt at a bulk and I have to say it is far harder mentally that losing weight.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Speaking of beach body, I'm doing Insanity and I told him to join me. Is this too much cardio for him? He feels like P90X would be more strength based.

both are far from ideal for putting on muscle. with p90x being somewhat less so.

the nutrition guide for insanity does discuss how to eat to gain weight, but honestly one would be better off skipping the cardio almost altogether (should do some to keep up your heart health), especially if he's a hard gainer.

Assuming he has enough weight that he'll fail at 8 reps or less, it wouldn't be crazy to do just the lifting days from p90x. although i'd suggest pausing often because so fast its nearly like cardio. and find a different solution for legs. because p90x legs IS cardio

are you sure that's right??? the bolded part- Insanity is like pure HIIT cardio.

he's not putting on any muscle with that program.

As noted- he needs to be on a PROGRESSIVE lifting program- using dumbbells and stuff isn't going to cut it.

If he doesn't want to do a gym barbell program- please please please read waldo's site.

It's probably the most comprehensive site on body weight building. not just body-weight workouts- it's geared and written by some one bulking and aiming to get bigger.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Fast foods are an incredibly unhealthy way to gain weight.

Disagree.

@OP
    He needs to eat more.
    Make sure he gets his proper macros
    Lift Heavy
    Rest
    Give it time
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Speaking of beach body, I'm doing Insanity and I told him to join me. Is this too much cardio for him? He feels like P90X would be more strength based.

both are far from ideal for putting on muscle. with p90x being somewhat less so.

the nutrition guide for insanity does discuss how to eat to gain weight, but honestly one would be better off skipping the cardio almost altogether (should do some to keep up your heart health), especially if he's a hard gainer.

Assuming he has enough weight that he'll fail at 8 reps or less, it wouldn't be crazy to do just the lifting days from p90x. although i'd suggest pausing often because so fast its nearly like cardio. and find a different solution for legs. because p90x legs IS cardio

are you sure that's right??? the bolded part- Insanity is like pure HIIT cardio.

As noted- he needs to be on a PROGRESSIVE lifting program- using dumbbells and stuff isn't going to cut it.

If he doesn't want to do a gym barbell program- please please please read waldo's site.

It's probably the most comprehensive site on body weight building. not just body-weight workouts- it's geared and written by some one bulking and aiming to get bigger.

With P90X, I would say it is possible...only if you go into it with the mindset of forcing yourself to go up in weight.....
    Which I don't think the workouts really allow for this just due to the quickness you are going through it.

But I think good old basic gym sessions are the better way to go.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Agreed I wouldn't say EITHER are ideal-

I guess if I HAD to throw a dart and pick one- because those were the only two options- i'd pick p90 over insanity for muscle growth- I mean hell the yoga DVD on that pack is nothing to scoff at!!!
    no question.
  • CCSavage88
    CCSavage88 Posts: 191
    Options
    Tell him to checkout the HodgeTwins on Youtube
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options

while i'd agree that HIIT is probably the most muscle friendly cardio... its technically not HIIT by the strictest definitions. close enough if you ask me.

I thought she meant do just insanity and no weight routine.

but even if he was doing a weight routine, if the goal was to gain mass it would be counter productive, you would have to eat all those calories back.

plus she seems to suggest he's a hard gainer.

you know i'm not a beach body hater lol
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options

With P90X, I would say it is possible...only if you go into it with the mindset of forcing yourself to go up in weight.....
    Which I don't think the workouts really allow for this just due to the quickness you are going through it.

definetly agree. i actually put an inch on my biceps during my second round of p90x, but i was eating like there was no tomorrow and certainly a good portion of that was fat.
  • JoRocka
    Options

definetly agree. i actually put an inch on my biceps during my second round of p90x, but i was eating like there was no tomorrow and certainly a good portion of that was fat.
    lol yes- dem gainz- all the food.
    while i'd agree that HIIT is probably the most muscle friendly cardio... its technically not HIIT by the strictest definitions. close enough if you ask me.

Why is insanity not HIIT by strict definition? Can you explain your thought process to me.
    It does not have the same limitations at Tabata.

All tabata is HIIT but not all HIIT is tabata.

just want to get this clear, but either I'm really confused or one of us is wrong LOL
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    idk what tabata is

i mostly said it because i think the strictest defintion of HIIT actually goes by getting your HR at a certain level. so regardless of the format it wont technically be HIIT if you don't get there. This might happen in some work outs and not others, for some people and not others.

but also the format is basically 3-4 min on and 30 seconds off (not that it really works out that way because your encouraged to go as hard as you can and take breaks when you need to). I think typically HIIT 'on' intervals are shorter then that, but i could be wrong (and your 'on' intervals end up being shorter anyway).

I just don't think the format is 100% identical. but the results/effect are/is basically the same.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    tabata is specifically a 4 minute work out with a structured work/rest set up.

There are no set intervals for HIIT workouts- or actually any length- I see you read on Wiki or somewhere like about the 3-4 min.

they can be any arrangements as long as the rests are short-and they do not need to be full rests- like for sprinting I run HIIT with jogging rests- no walking.

If someone says they did an hour of HIIT they are lying.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options

There are no set intervals for HIIT workouts- or actually any length- I see you read on Wiki or somewhere like about the 3-4 min.

they can be any arrangements as long as the rests are short-and they do not need to be full rests- like for sprinting I run HIIT with jogging rests- no walking.

i was saying that 3-4 min are the Insanity intervals, followed by 30 seconds of rest. which to me seemed longer then a typical HIIT set
  • JoRocka
    Options

i was saying that 3-4 min are the Insanity intervals, followed by 30 seconds of rest. which to me seemed longer then a typical HIIT set

OHHHHHH okay.see I knew there was a disconnect!!!

well I know the workouts are like 45 min long.

No it's still technically HIIT. Insanity is still very much a cardio based program.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I'm asking this question for my bf because he refuses to join mfp, saying he doesn't have enough "time," and blah blah blah, but I do digress.

He is trying to bulk - semi successfully - and I was wondering if anyone had any tips. It could be specific or very general common knowledge. He is I think about 5'7 and about 130 pounds if not a little more. He already has lots of muscle and "cuts" because he's so skinny I guess. He wants to be bigger, but he also has a small frame.

The main thing is to bulk slowly, approx 10% surplus, and to make sure your training is on point. Read up on macros as well, and stay in the ballpark. It is not necessary to track macros to the gram, but many do.
    As a sidenote he's been taking creatine and drinking some whey protein shakes. Wondering if such supplements have actual benefits?

Creatine has minor benefit for people who respond to it, and none for non-responders. It's not going to make a big difference. There is nothing magical about protein shakes, but protein shakes are useful if your diet is otherwise deficient in protein.
  • laurenawolf
    laurenawolf Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    In for information.
  • AsianSuperfly
    AsianSuperfly Posts: 73 Member
    Options

Nice write up on bulking but more over an even better write up on cereals. I couldn't agree more. Fantastic work Waldo.
  • CrouchingWayne
    Options
    As noted he will probably hit a plateau with regards to weights if just using DB. You could keep an eye on Gumtree/Criagslift/Similar for a second hand barbell/bench/power rack for cheap.

An article on why you should have a power rack at home:

http://www.peckmeout.com/need-power-rack-home-gym/