Can too much protein slow weight loss?

Options
2»

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I would like to change to 40/30/30 How do you do this?i seem to be going in circles

Go here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/my_goals

and select "Change Goals"

then choose "Custom"

and you should be able to set your macro percentages from there.
  • nsala86
    nsala86 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Oh man. What are you eating? I can never seem to hit my protein macro without a supplement.

MFP seems to say that I need about 85 g of protein on average on days that I'm exercising (which is usually every day). I usually end up getting about 100. I eat egg whites/turkey bacon in the morning (sometimes I'll have a fruit smoothie with a scoop of protein powder which I guess is a supplement but thats only about 15 g). Lunch usually fish or chicken with veggies and dinner usually some kind of grilled protein source (steak, chicken, fish) with veggies. Snacks are usually veggies with hummus, cheese sticks, fruit.
  • nsala86
    nsala86 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    If your trying to lose weight protein should be your go to macro, aim over as much as you can. Even if you don't exercise.

Thank you! That's helpful. Now I'm not quite so concerned about it. I am exercising daily now so, I find if I try to lower my protein intake I'm hungry all the time

well if you have bad kidneys i wouldn't recommend just overloading on protien. and if you don't have bad kidneys, and you overload on protien for years, and you don't exercise, it could give you bad kidneys.

not that i'm anti-protein, just figured that was worth mentioning.

it would not slow your weight loss so long as you are at or under your calorie goal

if anything it should speed it up, as protein is the least efficiently absorbed macro and it takes the more energy to change excess energy consumed in the form of protein into stored fat then it does carbs

I dont know if 100 grams a day is overloading...I'm pretty new to this. I do sometimes have kidney stones but no major problems other than that. I am always under calorie goal, just didn't want to go overboard with the protein if there could be negative consequences. Thanks for mentioning this!
  • zuko71
    zuko71 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I would like to change to 40/30/30 How do you do this?i seem to be going in circles

Go here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/my_goals

and select "Change Goals"

then choose "Custom"

and you should be able to set your macro percentages from there.

Thankyou just did it, i can throw the calculator away now :smile:
  • snowbunnyA
    snowbunnyA Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi As far as I can remember, it was about 2 ounces lunch time and about five at teatime....I just shows how long it's been for me, I'm still thinking in ounces....

Just to clarify, are you sure you're not talking about the weight of the meat (or whatever protein source)? 5oz (about 140g) of chicken breast contains 29.4g (1oz) of protein. To get 140g of protein, you'd have to eat 667g of chicken (23.5oz)!!!!!
  • ken_m
    ken_m Posts: 128
    Options
    mfp, the greatest source of misinformation on the internet

*fireworks explode in the distance*
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    If your trying to lose weight protein should be your go to macro, aim over as much as you can. Even if you don't exercise.

Thank you! That's helpful. Now I'm not quite so concerned about it. I am exercising daily now so, I find if I try to lower my protein intake I'm hungry all the time

well if you have bad kidneys i wouldn't recommend just overloading on protien. and if you don't have bad kidneys, and you overload on protien for years, and you don't exercise, it could give you bad kidneys.

not that i'm anti-protein, just figured that was worth mentioning.

it would not slow your weight loss so long as you are at or under your calorie goal

if anything it should speed it up, as protein is the least efficiently absorbed macro and it takes the more energy to change excess energy consumed in the form of protein into stored fat then it does carbs

I dont know if 100 grams a day is overloading...I'm pretty new to this. I do sometimes have kidney stones but no major problems other than that. I am always under calorie goal, just didn't want to go overboard with the protein if there could be negative consequences. Thanks for mentioning this!

i've had kidney stones in the past too. haven't had any issues in years and i eat a lot of protien.

how much is too much probably depends in large part on how much you weight and how bad your body needs it based on your activties. 100 g does not sound excessive.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I have eaten a minimum of 100g of protein almost every day for the past 2 years. It's a minimum for me and keeps me full. It hasn't affected my losses at all. If anything, it's one of the reasons why I have remained very muscular even though I didn't lift weights at all in my first year.
  • MBrothers22
    MBrothers22 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    At/below your calorie goal and above your protein goal is awesome and not always easy to do. Keep doing that.

Only too many calories will stop weight loss.