Ending My Plateau

Options
Plans for rekickstarting this weight loss:
1. Every morning when I wake up (or within the first 30 minutes of being awake) I am going to go for a couple laps around the block and drink a glass of water while I do so.
2. I am going to drink a glass of water before I go to bed.
3. I am going to drink a glass of water before every single meal, no matter what.
4. I will cook breakfast at home before I leave for work or school, no matter how early wakeup will have to be.
5. I will work out at least five days a week instead of doubling up on workouts and only working out three days a week, no matter what. I have to.
6. I will try to take the dining shift or closing shift at work when possible, aka running out orders, taking out trash, lots of walking and lifting and cleaning, rather than just sit at a register.
7. Try to limit cheeses and foods high in dairy as much as possible.
8. Try to limit bread intake - I get too much bread in my diet. I will only eat one bread product (bagel, toast, tortilla etc) per day as much as possible and within reason.
If you guys have any other ideas please let me know!

I know some of this sounds restrictive, but I am determined to get out of this slump, and am only limiting dairy and grains to see if it helps with some skin issues I am having, because maybe what I am putting into my body I don't react to well, especially considering I have a lactose intolerance a bit. Anyway, I'd like to hear your opinion on things and if you have any ideas as to what on this list isn't going to work and what I could add to it to be more successful.

Replies

• miss_phat_booty
    Options
    Just curious but have you been weighing all your food? If not, I'd start there first.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Why not just eat at a calorie deficit?. A plateau just means you're eating at maintenance check the accuracy of your logging.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Plans for rekickstarting this weight loss:
    1. Every morning when I wake up (or within the first 30 minutes of being awake) I am going to go for a couple laps around the block and drink a glass of water while I do so.
    2. I am going to drink a glass of water before I go to bed.
    3. I am going to drink a glass of water before every single meal, no matter what.
    4. I will cook breakfast at home before I leave for work or school, no matter how early wakeup will have to be.
    5. I will work out at least five days a week instead of doubling up on workouts and only working out three days a week, no matter what. I have to.
    6. I will try to take the dining shift or closing shift at work when possible, aka running out orders, taking out trash, lots of walking and lifting and cleaning, rather than just sit at a register.
    7. Try to limit cheeses and foods high in dairy as much as possible.
    8. Try to limit bread intake - I get too much bread in my diet. I will only eat one bread product (bagel, toast, tortilla etc) per day as much as possible and within reason.
    If you guys have any other ideas please let me know!

I know some of this sounds restrictive, but I am determined to get out of this slump, and am only limiting dairy and grains to see if it helps with some skin issues I am having, because maybe what I am putting into my body I don't react to well, especially considering I have a lactose intolerance a bit. Anyway, I'd like to hear your opinion on things and if you have any ideas as to what on this list isn't going to work and what I could add to it to be more successful.

Check back in 3 days and see how this plan works. vs weighing your food and eating at a reasonable deficit.
  • ashleyjohnstonn1
    ashleyjohnstonn1 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I am eating at a deficit and do weigh my food (admittedly not 100% of the time, but when possible I do). However I am eating some of my exercise cals back, so instead of going for my allotted 1360/day I'm eating somewhere around 1500 in actuality most days.

Edit: Thank you guys for your suggestions, though. Clearly you know what works based upon your lost cals! :) I am going to try to refocus on weighing all my food and be more accurate as much as possible.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    You sound like a lady with a plan! Get it!

I just started drinking 64oz of water every morning after coffee before I'll let myself have tea.

I wouldn't have assumed that it would make any difference but it has.

Good luck.

:-)
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I am eating at a deficit and do weigh my food (admittedly not 100% of the time, but when possible I do). However I am eating some of my exercise cals back, so instead of going for my allotted 1360/day I'm eating somewhere around 1500 in actuality most days.

Edit: Thank you guys for your suggestions, though. Clearly you know what works based upon your lost cals! :) I am going to try to refocus on weighing all my food and be more accurate as much as possible.

This is probably the problem and overestimating exercise calories. Consider investing in a heart rate monitor with a chest strap to get a better idea of your steady-state cardio burns. The MFP database usually overestimates the burn which can really cause you to eat more than you think unintentionally. Also, consider starting a weight training program to help you retain as much lean body mass as possible while you are eating at a deficit.

ETA: Cutting back on carbs may help you lose some water weight and glycogen stores but as soon as you go back to eating them you will gain that weight back.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Definitely weigh everything, even packaged foods if you can... it's typically heavier than what a serving really is.

Carb is not the enemy but yeah, I have to limit bread/bagels/tortillas/pasta etc to once a day as well or I get too hungry.