Artificial Sweetner Alternative

Options
I need HELP! I am algeric to artificial sweetners (haven't found one yet that doesn't give me terrible headaches) I'm not that fond of water to be able to drink it constantly. I do drink unsweetened tea which is a nice change but it too gets old after a while...Does anyone have any recipes or found anything wonderful that is low or no cal without artificial sweetner????

Replies

• 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    To get me off of sodas - I started with Propel - it has sugar but is low cal. Now I drink just plain water. BTW - if you are drinking regular caffeinated tea - you need to add the same amount in additional water. Caffeine acts as a diuretic. Good luck :-)
  • NuNusMaMa
    Options
    Im allergic also...the only one that doesnt give me headaches is Splenda!!! I use it while baking, in my water with lemon & in my coffee...have you tried it? I also tried truvia *sp* once and i was ok with it...but i like splenda so i stick with it!! Good luck!!! My friends tell me i should live in a bubble because im allergic to EVERYTHING :( lol
  • jetierney
    Options
    I use Stevia. I've not had any reactions to it, and it has left me with no cravings. Check it out on Wikepedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stevia
  • mlervold
    Options
    I have the same issue! Have you tried that new stevia stuff? (Truvia or whatever it's called) I was going to try it and see if it is better. Otherwise I also drink the flavored teas (Celestial seasonings brand). Some of them are good cold and not as monotonous as plain water.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    A few Natrual sweetner calories will not hurt you. Try honey, real maple syrup
  • crystalroy
    crystalroy Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Can you use honey? Its all natural, just limit what u intake.
  • missygil
    Options
    Hey Mal,
    I use Truvia...comes from the Stevia (sp) plant...I LOVE it!!!
  • kjsweigart
    Options
    Stevia is the best. All natural alternative!
    212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Here is a nice article that might make you rethink using any kind of artificial sweeteners:

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1711763,00.html

A couple things to note about the article. The studies found that rats that consumed artificial sweeteners ate more calories (1) and the sweeteners changed how their bodies actually burned calories for the worse (2). It also goes on to say that each diet soda you drink per day increases your chance of being obese (3).

Direct quotes from the article:

1) "When an animal eats a saccharin-flavored food with no calories, however — disrupting the sweetness and calorie link — the animal tends to eat more and gain more weight, the new study shows."

2) "The sugar-fed rats, for example, showed the expected uptick in core body temperature at mealtime, corresponding to their anticipation of a bolus of calories that they would need to start burning off — a sort of metabolic revving of the energy engines. The saccharin-fed animals, on the other hand, showed no such rise in temperature."

3) "for every can of diet soda people consumed each day, there was a 41% increased risk of being overweight."
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I use xylitol. It's a natural plant bases sweetener with less that half the cals of sugar, low GI and good for your teeth! . :flowerforyou:
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    If you are having the headaches to ALL of the artificial sweetners, it may not be the "sweet" at all. Most of the sweetners sold in the US have additives in them to make them compliant for the FDA. Truvia sold in the US is not pure stevia, the FDA made the manufacturers cut it with an additive to be sold in the grocery stores. It may be the additive causing you problems. Try ordering some pure stevia online from another country. Stevia is the most "natural" of the "fake" sugars out there since it is from an actual plant and not manufactured via chemical reaction. Getting natural honey is getting difficult too, but it is still out there. The stuff in the grocery stores are pasturized and processed for shelf life and color consistancy.

Good Luck!