Nutrition Facts: As Packaged vs As Prepared

Options
Do the "As Prepared" nutrition facts on the labels of items such as Velveeta Cheesy Skillets or Hamburger Helper include the meat, or do you have to count the calories from the meat itself separately?

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Do the "As Prepared" nutrition facts on the labels of items such as Velveeta Cheesy Skillets or Hamburger Helper include the meat, or do you have to count the calories from the meat itself separately?

From the FDA website:

"L22. What are the definitions of “as packaged” and “as prepared”?
    Answer: “As packaged” refers to the state of the product as it is marketed for purchase. “As prepared” refers to the product after it has been made ready for consumption (e.g., ingredients added per instructions and cooked such as a cake mix that has been prepared and baked or a condensed or dry soup that has been reconstituted)."
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    I assume you are asking out of interest only, because I refuse to believe anyone would willingly eat either of those products.

(Disclaimer - my mother fed us Hamburger Helper and I've never really recovered.)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    'as prepared' should include the calories of what you ate adding by following their directions. I would calculate it myself though.