Does anyone else have that little voice in their head

Options

Replies

• lousoulbody
    lousoulbody Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Yup. We all do. Ignore the jerk. My voice's name is Clarence. He's a bitter, bitter, sad, pathetic voice. He's always there but I just tell him to shut up and go about my merry way.

I just love that you named your voice, and yes Clarence needs to shut the heck up!
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    I do. Mine sounds exactly like my mother, always saying I might be pretty if I just lost a few pounds, and that it's a good thing I can cook because heaven knows my looks won't ever land a man.
  • alisonmarytuck
    alisonmarytuck Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Answer it with I'll prove you wrong and treat yourself with something that isn't eating - a nice bath, a walk, a chat with a friend, a run, or whatever..... And keep answering !!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    That voice is the reason I work out VERY early in the morning. ....because that lazy b*tch isn't awake early enough to talk me out of going to the gym! :laugh: :laugh:
  • GameGirl777
    GameGirl777 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Yes. But I try to separate my body and mind. That voice starts to go away when you ignore it. Listen to your body.

You CAN do it! Be strong.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Yes. I have to tell it to "shut up" often. UGH!
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    OP here's a good voice to listen to:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/yoovie/view/because-im-not-invisible-damnit-666120

ETA: actually not just OP, this is a great counterpunch for anyone dealing with a toxic inner critic. I'd go on here, but there's nothing to improve upon.

Thank you for posting this link. Absolutely beautiful post that made me cry.

As far as me, my little voice is Large Marge. She's a real beeotch and is especially vocal when I'm a little bored, a lot hungry and when I'm clothes shopping. But I ignore her (most of the time) and think I'm worth the time and effort to work out vs snuggling in bed and lounging around with my coffee. I might really enjoy the taste of that _____ ( fill in the blank) but unless I've planned for it I will be mad at how it screws up my day. I ignore her and listen to imaginary Stacy and Clinton who go on all my shopping trips with me now and help me to love the body I have and try on things that flatter it vs trying to be somebody I'm not genetically capable of being.

It's a constant battle to shut her up but I'm worth it!
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Yes, I tell to shut up, and do what needs to be done.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    liar-voice-in-head.jpg?w=540
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Not exactly that. But I do have a little voice in my head telling me that I just do NOT look that different than I did at around 260 lb (now 182 lb). I do. But part of me is still confused or not yet used to the change, and when I think back to around like 2004 or so, I feel like I looked exactly like I do now...and I was really happy with my body/looks around that time...but I was MUCH heavier. It's like my brain just can't compute.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Kinda. I have a voice that has told me I look fat at every single weight I've ever been (135-210) but it's all disordered thinking.

As I've gotten older I've become less concerned with being "attractive" and more concerned with feeling strong, capable, & feeling like *i* am in control of food and not the other way around.
  • goalss4nika
    goalss4nika Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Yes! The voice has been in my head for a long time. Everyday, I try to prove the little voice wrong.
  • LondonSuz
    LondonSuz Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Yup I have one too! I refer to it as my alter-ego 'fat-Suz' who wants to get me to eat anything and everything! I try up imagine her as how I would end up if I did actually keep eating anything and everything and it's not good!

Some days she's easier to ignore, at moments of weakness it's hard and a battle to not give in and head to the cupboards...
  • weblur
    weblur Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I tell my negative voice, "I hear that you are frustrated (or sad or angry or whatever). We're still doing this, though." It helps me not be driven by the negativity.

Also, I love this:
    liar-voice-in-head.jpg?w=540
  • Menix8
    Menix8 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    The Oatmeal has a fantastic post about his; he calls it the Blerch. I highly recommend you check it out; it's quite hilarious and true.
  • ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    ...that tells you to give up, you will never reach this goal, you're too old to lose weight and be attractive again, that you might as well eat everything in sight because it's the only thing that makes life bearable?

I hate that little voice in my head! Wish I could gag it!:angry:

I thought this post was the exact opposite of what you just said, lol
    I thought you were gonna ask about the voice in their head that says they CAN do this. Thats whats in my head. Might I suggest using that same negative energy and flipping your mindset. You CAN do this!!!!!!!!
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Oh, I've always been the glass is half empty kind of a mindset. But I am glad to know I'm not alone in this.

I like some of the suggestions too... I'll give my voice a name (probably name it after a co-worker I despise) and will do all I can to shut her up when she babbles. Even if she's saying Nah Nah Nah you ate too much I'll still tell her, yeah, well, tomorrow is another day, b**tch.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    ...that tells you to give up, you will never reach this goal, you're too old to lose weight and be attractive again, that you might as well eat everything in sight because it's the only thing that makes life bearable?

I hate that little voice in my head! Wish I could gag it!:angry:

I thought this post was the exact opposite of what you just said, lol
    I thought you were gonna ask about the voice in their head that says they CAN do this. Thats whats in my head. Might I suggest using that same negative energy and flipping your mindset. You CAN do this!!!!!!!!

This is me too. I don't think for a second I can't do this. It's a done deal and I'm planning ahead for maintenance and what my next (fitness) goals might be. But then, I've never taken "no" for an answer, and I consistently believe I know more than anyone else thinks I do..

I used to have the negative voice a bit in the past. Like someone else said it used to sound like my Mom, nagging endlessly about my weight, and how perfect my life would be if I lost the pounds. Blah, blah, blah. Didn't listen to her, or to the voice either. It disappeared completely from my life 2 weeks into my weight loss phase, about Feb 15 actually..
  • microscrubbers
    microscrubbers Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    The voices are lying....! Otherwise I would do whatever my Rice Krispies tell me to do....!
  • cwoyto123
    cwoyto123 Posts: 308
    Options
    No, and even if I did I would ignore it.