I'm very weak. Where do I start with strength training?

Options
I started on my diet 4 weeks ago. I've lost 4 lbs & I feel like that's right on target. My problem is that I am weak, very weak. I have always hated exercise & I'm not athletic at all. I want to build strength & muscle but I don't know where to start. I'm 40 & work a desk job. Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• miss_phat_booty
    Options
    I like Stronglifts for its simplicity.

from the site:

Stronglifts 5×5 uses five free weight compound exercises: the Squat, Bench Press, Deadlift, Overhead Press and Barbell Row. You do three of these exercises each workout, three times a week, for about 45 minutes per workout. You Squat every workout, three times a week. 5×5 stands for five sets of five reps. These are the sets and reps you do on every exercise except Deadlifts. Deadlift is only one set of five reps (1×5) because doing more would beat you up. Plus, Squatting three times a week will get you stronger at Deadlifts since it works similar muscles.
    Read more: http://stronglifts.com/5x5/
  • 1974lynnette
    1974lynnette Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I'm going to check that out now.
  • akuaafriyie
    akuaafriyie Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    you could get great and proper instruction on any kind of excercise for your level at fitness blender at thier website or on you-tube. their videos are all free and high quality . using their website has been very beneficial to me because i dont have the the time or the money for the gym and all their workouts require no equipment
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    We all start somewhere. Most people are going to suggest compound exercise, e.g. deadlifts, squats, etc. But if that's not your thing quite yet, you could always begin with bodyweight exercises and bands to ease into. Pull-ups, uprights rows, pushups, etc are compound moves too. I got back into the gym end of March and I didn't rush right back into barbells, instead I picked up dumbbells for most movements to just get my body back to the grind and to work out mechanics. That I am not recommending for you, but I think the principle could be applied. Either way, commit yourself to it and plan your gym time accordingly.
  • 1974lynnette
    1974lynnette Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I loved the 5x5 concept on the website & I would love to get there but I know it's not for me right now. I like the idea of resistance bands, etc. to start to build the strength I need. Thanks.
  • Krapfi
    Krapfi Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    When I started I was very weak and in much back pain. I had trouble walking, moving in general and am still not able to lie down on a flat surface so I felt very restricted when it came to sport but I wanted to do something.

So I joined a gym I felt comfortable in, more like a sports club as they offer different kinds of exercise (gym, swimming pool, table tennis, soccer, bowling...). I started to go swimming 1-2 a week. I did not only swim but I also worked out the pool, stretching and walking, jumping around like a bunny and so on. Now I even run in the pool (when I have it for myself so nobody gets drowned) and I love it! This helped me a lot because my body got stronger and I had fun doing it.

I also do weights and I basically do the machines I fit into ;-) Not all machines are built for my size so a friend showed me what to do with the ones who were suitable for me (an instructor whould be able to show you as well). I am doing 3 x 10 reps and I am getting stronger and stronger every time, my back pain hurts less and I am more active and have higher energy level.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I like Stronglifts for its simplicity.

from the site:

Stronglifts 5×5 uses five free weight compound exercises: the Squat, Bench Press, Deadlift, Overhead Press and Barbell Row. You do three of these exercises each workout, three times a week, for about 45 minutes per workout. You Squat every workout, three times a week. 5×5 stands for five sets of five reps. These are the sets and reps you do on every exercise except Deadlifts. Deadlift is only one set of five reps (1×5) because doing more would beat you up. Plus, Squatting three times a week will get you stronger at Deadlifts since it works similar muscles.
    Read more: http://stronglifts.com/5x5/

I second the recommendation for stronglifts. Or Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe - which is a very similar programme, it's not free (stronglifts is free) but there's so much more information about strength training while stronglifts is just the basic programme.

You said you're very weak... it may be the case that the starting weights for stronglifts are too heavy for you to begin with - don't be afraid to use lower weights than the programme says. The starting weights were chosen with male beginners in mind, a lot of women start lighter than the given weights.... but you will gain so much strength doing this programme that it really doesn't matter where you start, you'll end up much stronger. The important thing is to start with weights light enough that you can practice to get the form right, then each workout you add a little more weight and this is how your strength increases. As a beginner you can increase your strength by a lot in a short time, just follow the programme, and be sure to begin with you get the form right. Also, for me, I practiced form using a broomstick on my back before I even started doing the lifts with a barbell.

there's a stronglifts for women group on here
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    If you aren't ready for heavy lifting try googling convict conditioning or bodyweight workouts on fitnessblender.com.

I started with 30 day shred and did that for 60 days before I started lifting.

eta: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I started on my diet 4 weeks ago. I've lost 4 lbs & I feel like that's right on target. My problem is that I am weak, very weak. I have always hated exercise & I'm not athletic at all. I want to build strength & muscle but I don't know where to start. I'm 40 & work a desk job. Any advise will be greatly appreciated.
    Easy and free way to start is pushups leaning onto a wall.
    Do proper form and when you master that, go with something lower like a countertop.
    Then to maybe a lower desk.
    Ultimatly down to your knees, then a "real" pushup once you master the above.
    Heck, while you are watching tv do a set during each commerical break.
    Or at work......only takes a minute!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Start with what you can lift. You *will* make progress from there.
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I belong to a gym that doesn't have a real free weight section, just dumbbells and smith machines. I wanted to do Stronglifts, but don't have access to the proper equipment (yet - saving up for my own power cage). I also wasn't strong enough to really start with Stronglifts. I did a modified version using dumbbells. Eventually I will advance past the dumbbells, but it was good for me to be able to start the compound lifts with smaller weights.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    If you're worried about the barbell right now, use dumbbells, but I also think that Stronglifts is the best place to start.

Have you tested your functional strength? Just go in and pick up a dumbbell. If it feels light in your hand, pick up the next, and the next, and the next. You'll very quickly get an idea of how much weight you can hold in your hands.

Try bodyweight squats and goblet squats.
    Bench press with just dumbbells until you can press the bar.
    Use dumbbells for overhead press. Sit on a bench and press the DB over your head, one shoulder at a time.
    You will be amazed at what you can deadlift. I promise.

When I started lifting, I was extremely weak. My legs jiggled when I ran because I had no visible muscle on me. I got very ill, went through chemo, and had to rebuild from there. You just have to set your mind to it and do it.
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I loved the 5x5 concept on the website & I would love to get there but I know it's not for me right now. I like the idea of resistance bands, etc. to start to build the strength I need. Thanks.
    Lots of good suggestions floating around here. I am a big believer in those compound exercises. When you're working with the bands, do those exercise, squats, deads, presses, along with bodyweight and as galatea recommends find your functional strength to establish a baseline.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I do Stronglift 5X5. When following the program correctly, you start with just the bar which is 45 pounds and add a little more each session if you can do all your reps with proper form. I'm sure you could get a lighter bar if that is too much for you. There is an iPhone app to help you keep track. I find that moving up 5 - 10 pounds each session on some of the lifts is too much too soon, so I changed the settings to boost me 2.5 - 5 pounds instead. (I bought some 1 1/4 pound plates to accommodate this) Here are some helpful links:

http://stronglifts.com/5x5/

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

Good luck to you in whatever you choose to do. I think you will be really happy with the results of weight training.
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies! I too was interested to know this
  • silverstarrlyte
    silverstarrlyte Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Looking this up now... very good info.
  • leahking6
    leahking6 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I work a desk job too. Then have 4 rowdy kids to take care of when I go home. A few weeks after I started my lifestyle change I would do squats and wall pushups when I went to the bathroom at work. I started just doing what was pushing the limit..like my legs would get really tired and my arms would get really tired. Then as i got used to those I would push for a few more progressing each week. In addition to that I started doing 5 pound dumbells at night. You can go on Pinterest and they show all types of exercises you can do with those to build strength. I also do leg lifts, planks, flutter kicks and those type things at night. After doing that for a few weeks and increasing reps I moved up to 8 pound dumbells. I continue to do the squats and wall pushups in the bathroom on breaks. I also added about 15 mins of the 8 pound weights in the morning as well as the night time routine. For cardio my husband and I walk or do Just Dance videos with the Wii (which the kids like too). I have A LOT to lose but doing this and staying in my calorie goals I have lost 75 pounds since January. I really started noticing a change in my body when I started the strength exercises. It has also help with my skin not being so loose as the fat melts. :)
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options

Yeah 5x5 is the best way to go, but if you're not moving much already or particularly athletic, going a few months with some lighter stuff won't hurt.

That said, do not be afraid of barbell training. There's nothing scary about it, and it's as much for beginners as it is for advanced lifters.

The only thing I will tell you is to take it slow and start light (although I don't think that will be a problem for you). No such thing as too light. Then just follow the program and increment up as you go.
  • alexandriamarino
    alexandriamarino Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    i want to second the poster above - try to examine why you feel that using a barbell or strong lifts would be scary. i'm wondering if that might be a little bit of psyching yourself out... it's really not so bad :):)