shopping makes me feel so fat

Options
2»

Replies

• JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    JustAnotherGirlSuzanne Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I have clothes from H&M that are size 8 and I have other clothes that are a size 14. I also have clothes in my closet that are a size small and clothes (that fit tightly) that are an extra large. Nothing changed sizes in the wash.

It's just a number or a word and really doesn't mean anything. I'd never buy something online from H&M because their sizes or so off. Usually if I know I'm a size 14 at a store I'll just buy size 14 for everything... but then when I fit into an 8 in other clothes from there... it's just weird.

Don't take it personally, we all get it and it's really annoying for everyone. Even people who actually do fit into a size 2 have all different sizes in their closets.
  • H0llyG0lightly
    H0llyG0lightly Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Just remember that sizes vary between different shops; they aren't actually standardised properly. Example (with British shops): I can buy size 8 trousers from Warehouse & New Look, size 6 in M&S (not that that happens often), but in TopShop & H&M I'm at least a size 10 and I can never buy trousers from Zara or Mango (my hips are too big for their clothes!). It's partly to do with their target customers - if they're aiming at a teenage market, the clothes tend to come up smaller, as do brands from places like France.

So don't beat yourself up about it & don't take the insensitive comment that the sales assistant made to heart. :)

Reminds me of when I shop at Mango/Zara (I think it's those stores), and they say "US M/Eur L" or something like that. Makes me feel like a fat American (but only for 10 seconds).
  • annabeladcock
    Options
    It happens to all of us - I've gone home and cried after a shopping trip like that!! I'm a size 8/10 (UK) and sometimes I've gone into shops and size 12's are tight! And sometimes I find a pair of jeans that are a size 8 and DO fit, but I look at myself and my thighs look blubbery and fat and tell myself that I may be a size 8/10 but I'm only 5"2 so I look much fatter than other girls...

In summary, it's a girl thing. It happens to all of us, we all hate our bodies and crave to have a body other than our own. Try and use this to drive your workouts or whatever your weight goals are :):flowerforyou:
  • nursegirl072005
    nursegirl072005 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The sizes are just crazy, a psychological mind blow. This is what you do. Find a store that you like and get the size that you fit, look in the mirror and say "I look good." The size is really irrelevant. Its not like the size is on the outside and public knowledge. Its how the clothes make you feel. If you feel good and they fit good, it will show and no one will ask what size it is. Good Luck!!!!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I have clothes from H&M that are size 8 and I have other clothes that are a size 14. I also have clothes in my closet that are a size small and clothes (that fit tightly) that are an extra large. Nothing changed sizes in the wash.

It's just a number or a word and really doesn't mean anything. I'd never buy something online from H&M because their sizes or so off. Usually if I know I'm a size 14 at a store I'll just buy size 14 for everything... but then when I fit into an 8 in other clothes from there... it's just weird.

Don't take it personally, we all get it and it's really annoying for everyone. Even people who actually do fit into a size 2 have all different sizes in their closets.

I TOTALLY agree with this. My stepmom and stepsister have both been around size 5/6 their entire lives and they have everything in their respective closets from 00 to 10, XS to L!

I am 5'8" and currently 182 lb, wear a size 12-14 and I have this one dress in my closet that I found in a thrift store, it is Walmart Faded Glory brand and the label says "S 4/6"...what in the world?! It fits me with room to spare. My husband likes to make jokes about the People of Walmart regarding this, but I just think it's ludicrous.
  • anapankonien
    anapankonien Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    that's a good idea to buy inexpensive clothes while you are still losing weight... thanks
  • manicautumn
    manicautumn Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I tried on two dresses at H&M today. Both were a size 8. One fit me fine and the other wouldn't even fit over my hips.

Don't feel fat because they can't have goddamn standard sizes. That's their fault, not yours. Look at the way the clothes feel, not the number on the label. I guarantee no one is going to ask whether they're an 8 or 16 when they're complementing you :)
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    My mother in law used to work as a cutter in a clothes factory. She told me years ago that, as they were all paid for the number of pieces they cut, if they were coming to the end of the roll of fabric they would cut closer and closer to the pattern just to get as much out of the roll as possible as it took such a long time to get another roll out and wasted time was wasted earning time! Thats why you can get 3 items, same size, same style etc off one rail and they could all fit differently!! Since then, Ive become much less obsessed about the size label!! x
  • kittykat1994
    kittykat1994 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I've given up caring about sizes! I have work trousers (provided by work) that are a size UK 20, yet I tend to find that my clothes size is around a 14/16.

I find that sometimes going for a bigger slightly looser size looks so much better, as clothing that is too tight can often look very unflattering.

Try not to care about clothing sizes! Always go with what makes you feel most comfortable and confident.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i love shopping... but i never know what size i am, especially since i have been loosing a bit of bodyfat, i always take the item i want to try on in at least 3 sizes! i have stuff in my wardrobe thats anything from a size 6 to a size 12!

my advice is to ignore the number and choose stuff based on what fits well and looks good!!
  • kk_140
    kk_140 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I love shopping, especially now that I look good in everything lol.

I've seen your posts on here before and you're in need of help. Love yourself more. This is the only life you have, enjoy it
  • GeorgiaLeighBurn
    Options
    I used to be the exact same, I hated the way that the mirrors in the changing room absolutely surrounded me and I was forced to look at my body in every possible way. However, this only proved to me as motivation, to the point where I almost don't mind it now because it only spurs me on to perfect those flawed areas.

Sizes in the UK are very varied, in my opinion. I can go from a size 6 in primark dresses to a 10 in jeans, but an 8 in skirts and tops? I wouldn't let it affect you, I'm sure you look gorgeous either way :)
  • oneoddsock
    oneoddsock Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Just remember that sizes vary between different shops; they aren't actually standardised properly. Example (with British shops): I can buy size 8 trousers from Warehouse & New Look, size 6 in M&S (not that that happens often), but in TopShop & H&M I'm at least a size 10 and I can never buy trousers from Zara or Mango (my hips are too big for their clothes!). It's partly to do with their target customers - if they're aiming at a teenage market, the clothes tend to come up smaller, as do brands from places like France.

So don't beat yourself up about it & don't take the insensitive comment that the sales assistant made to heart. :)

Agreed. In most shops I'm a 12/14, but in M&S I'm a 10. I stopped shopping in H&M because the biggest size they seem to do is a 16, which doesn't fit me. It doesn't make sense, but the shops aimed at younger people do seem to do smaller sizes, which is a shame because that's the age at which you're less likely to realise that not all size 12s are created equal - doh!
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    1. No one sees the number on the tag once you have the clothing on. Buy clothes that fit and flatter your body no matter the size.

I have said this to my friends soooo many times. So many. I totally get feeling 'not so good' about the way you look in some things. Fitting room experiences can be hit or miss, but I don't understand getting hung up on the number on the tag. If a 6 is the size that fits great. If a 16 is the size that fits, also great. What's important is how you feel in the clothing, not the size that the maker put on the label. OP, this comment is not directed at you, just a general statement.

BTW, isn't numbered sizing is really just a way for the consumer to determine the difference in one piece when compared to the next?
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    I found a '90's play suit at GoodWill a few months ago & it's a size 11 & I could barely button it up. In today's sizes I wear anywhere from a small to a large in tops & jeans can be anywhere from an 8 to 12.