D-Day June 6, 1944

Options
BigVeggieDream
BigVeggieDream Posts: 1,101 Member
70 years ago tomorrow, 156,000 Allied Soldiers Invaded the Normandy region of France. The average soldier was 20 years old, so they would be 90 today. Operation Overlord was and still is the largest seaborne invasion in history. Most people remember the Americans, British and Canadian forces that were there, but there were many more. The Australian and New Zealand military were there, as well as the exiled free forces of occupied Europe, from Belgium, Czechoslovakia, France, Greece, Netherlands, Norway and Poland. Please remember all the men who fought this day to liberate Europe. As Tom Brokaw said, this was the "Greatest Generation".

Replies

• wardamnirish
    wardamnirish Posts: 395
    Options
    The guys who invaded Normandy had balls of steel, that's for sure.
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    At the going down of the sun ...........
  • CaddieMay
    CaddieMay Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • 04hoopsgal73
    04hoopsgal73 Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Remember and honor them.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Sobering thought that at 17 you are too young to join this site but at 17 my Dad volunteered to join the army in WW2 and served in tanks and armoured cars throughout the fighting in Europe.
  • BigVeggieDream
    BigVeggieDream Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    Sobering thought that at 17 you are too young to join this site but at 17 my Dad volunteered to join the army in WW2 and served in tanks and armoured cars throughout the fighting in Europe.

Well thank your dad for me for his service. Was he under Patton?