Sugar Consumption and Weight Loss

Options
13»

Replies

• LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Truth is fat doesn't make you fat. Sugar does. Learn to lower your sugar intake and be accurate with calorie in and calorie out. It is that simple. The best to you.

If sugar made me fat...how did I lose still eating it? Am I magic?

You must be! What sorcery is this?!
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Truth is fat doesn't make you fat. Sugar does. Learn to lower your sugar intake and be accurate with calorie in and calorie out. It is that simple. The best to you.

2ebacjt.gif
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options

2ebacjt.gif

There is nothing better in this world than Monty Python gifs. :drinker:
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options

2ebacjt.gif

There is nothing better in this world than Monty Python gifs. :drinker:

:flowerforyou: truth! This I can belieeeeeve
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

I could have sworn that eating too much makes people fat.
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I am diabetic and I don't watch my sugar macro that much. I mostly check total carbs. My sugar is at 65 a day. I'm usually under the daily amount for sugar and carbs but I don't think it's even as low as 25 ever. My blood sugar numbers are good right now too. I'm also on medication. Doesn't sound like you are eating that much. I'm at 1720 calories a day and I've been losing about 2 lbs a week. I only exercise 2-3 times a week, I know I need to increase for health reasons. I'm not sure how much weight you have to lose.
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Hi MFP family,

I am struggling with sugar! It is in everything and I am having a hard time staying at 25 grams of sugar in a day. I have an extreme sweet tooth and just eating fruit with every meal puts me over. I also really enjoy frozen yogurt and sugar in my coffee. These things really help me get through my stressful days. Any advice? Do you think you still get good weight loss if you go over only on sugar?

Thanks!

And just looking through your diary you need to eat more and definitely more protein!
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I don't look at carbs as sugars and complex carbs. I just count the total carbs.
  • NewME9006
    NewME9006 Posts: 27
    Options
    Very informative thread... I was told by my trainer to cut out the sugar entirely because it's excess sugar that leads to weight gain. What you guys are saying here makes much more sense to me. Thanks
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Join the group "The Skinny on Obesity" for more information.

Added sugars are the primary cause of many health problems today.

I love sugar too, but I feel much better when I stay below a certain amount.

No. There is zero evidence that this is true.

Unless you are a diabetic, get rid of the suger and track something useful like fiber.

Except that added sugar, even from one sugary soda a day, increases risk of diabetes by about 18%.

And that added sugar is incredibly calorie dense and constitutes about 750 calories a day in the average American's diet hence a significant contributor to obesity.

And those extra calories are nutrient void and obesity has also been linked to malnutrition.

All that being said there are negative correlations between fruit intake and diabetes and obesity, so the OP doesn't need to worry about sugar from fruit intake.

References:

Consumption of sweet beverages and type 2 diabetes incidence in European adults: results from EPIC-InterAct. Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg. (2013)

http://www.ifpri.org/publication/micronutrient-malnutrition-obesity-and-chronic-disease-countries-undergoing-nutrition-tr

http://www.usda.gov/documents/usda-factbook-2001-2002.pdf

http://www.bmj.com/content/347/bmj.f5001

Thanks for this. I also find it hard to stay under the sugar goals that MFP has set for me but I definitely keep it on my screen as a reminder to try to keep it as a treat not a staple.