Couch to both marathon and triathlon in a year?

Options
I am looking for advice and perspective on the sanity of trying to lose 60 pounds while training from zero to marathon and triathlon participation, all within one year.

I have hatched a hare-brained one year plan to go from comfy couch surfing to entering and finishing both a marathon as well as a triathlon (ideally Olympic distance but otherwise sprint distance), in approximately one year’s time. I am just looking for a finish in each of these events rather than setting a new land speed record, and my target marathon (BMO Vancouver marathon) permits walkers and has a 7 hour finish window.

I bring very little of advantage to this scheme: I am a 51 year old male, at least 60+ pounds overweight, seriously deconditioned, with perpetually sore feet and a possibly dodgy knee and some persistent right shoulder soreness related to movement. The last time I ran any distance at all was almost 4 decades ago when some really tough-looking grade 4 girls chased me for my lunch money at recess (I went hungry that day; apparently even back then I was not very speedy). Also, I don’t actually own a bike, haven’t ridden in years and years, and although I apparently still have a pretty good front crawl in terms of technique acquired in childhood, I have no endurance beyond a couple of laps.

The 60 pound weight loss in a year I believe is just at the outside margin of doable for me if I can stay committed (despite the fact that it has not been doable for me for the last ½ decade that I have been this obese and periodically trying to lose weight). Trying from zero to triathlon finish strikes me as doable, again with commitment (and assuming I acquire a bike!). I am less sure about going from zero to marathon in one year, and even less sure about doing that while also including cross training in biking and swimming.

Is it wildly unwise to include both the marathon and triathlon in one year (bearing in mind my starting point)? I would be grateful for any comments. Feel free to call me stupid if that seems appropriate (I get a lot of that at work already, so I won’t be offended).

Replies

• fire_under_ice
    fire_under_ice Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I started last May at 48 years old with the aim of getting fit in time for my 50th birthday (August coming). I didn't have a goal in mind for either the fitness or weight. I have lost 50 lbs and have done 2 parts of a triathlon 40km bike followed by 10km run - not so keen on the swimming! - in 2 hrs 23 just for the fun of it on my own, i.e. not part of an organised event. Have only run a maximum of 15 miles at the moment but that is mainly due to personal circumstances that mean I can't put the time in for longer runs than that.

What I would say is that having such clearly defined goals in that time frame could lead to you trying too hard, overtraining, injury and burning out. I think having them as goals is fine but you might want to be more open ended about your timeframe.

Good luck - it feels great to be that aerobically fit!
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    As someone who went from 235 to 200 at age 48 and completed a marathon within 12 months of starting to run after a 15 year layoff, I would recommend against it. I ended up training too hard and developed compartment syndrome in my calves, which caused massive cramps. My sports medicine doctor said it was quite common among sedentary people to develop this condition once they started exercising (usually too vigorously). My advice would be to take two years to train for the marathon. Do the C25k rountine, then do it again. Train for a 10k, then do it again. Train for a half marathon, and then decide if you're ready to tackle a full marathon. Get a HRM and keep your heart rate at 70% to 75% of max. Take it slow, and don't increase your mileage more than 5% to 10% a week.It's not a stupid desire, but I would stretch your timetable.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    As someone who went from 235 to 200 at age 48 and completed a marathon within 12 months of starting to run after a 15 year layoff, I would recommend against it. I ended up training too hard and developed compartment syndrome in my calves, which caused massive cramps. My sports medicine doctor said it was quite common among sedentary people to develop this condition once they started exercising (usually too vigorously). My advice would be to take two years to train for the marathon. Do the C25k rountine, then do it again. Train for a 10k, then do it again. Train for a half marathon, and then decide if you're ready to tackle a full marathon. Get a HRM and keep your heart rate at 70% to 75% of max. Take it slow, and don't increase your mileage more than 5% to 10% a week.It's not a stupid desire, but I would stretch your timetable.
    I didntwant to be the first to say it.

It is great to have ambitous goals but they also have to be reasonable.

I suggest going step by step. A marathon is a huge feat, but one that doesnt come easily or quickly.
    Start with the 5K program, seek out a 10K, then set your sites on a half and then a full. Fulls can be very brutal even for seasoned runners. I have done a number of halfs and love them but I started with the 5k's.

Set yourself up for success. Taking it one step at a time will give you major milestones and accomplishments to reach and it wont seem like such an endless journey.
  • hermann341
    Options
    Also, the injury led to putting the weight back on over a 2 year period. I started losing it again this past January (with help from MFP) so that I'm back to 200 again at age 50.
  • itodd4019
    itodd4019 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    with the starter injuries, I say yikes to the marathon

the olympic = doable, and alot more fun to train for

Sweat Daily
    Todd
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that if you train consistently both goals are doable. The marathon is more ambitious than the triathlon in that triathlon training, by it's very nature, provides a high level of cross-training which in turn provides improved injury resistance.

I would recommend looking at a sprint tri first (or even a try-a-try) just to get rid of some of the first race jitters. It'll give you a chance to practice your transitions etc.

If you can manage walking @ 6km / hr you can finish the marathon within the cutoff time.

In the interest of full disclosure I started running in my early 50s but have yet to run a full marathon (my PB for a half is 2:14;47). Train consistently and you'll amaze yourself with what you can accomplish.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others that your goals might be a little too ambitious for one year's time. I have done lots of Half Marathons and I know how much time training for that has taken up in the past. I am also training for a sprint duathlon in three weeks. Have you considered that? I hadn't ridden a bike or been swimming in decades so when I decided for something more than just another Half, I went with the duathlon. That way I was only adding on one new thing at a time. Why not tone down the goals a little bit? There is nothing wrong with a sprint Triathlon and a Half Marathon or 10 Mile race for the first year. I mean if you do a Marathon and Olympic Triathlon in your first year, what bigger goals do you have to achieve in the second year??? :smile:

Whatever you decide, good luck to you!!!!
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I will also be the voice of caution here. A marathon is a huge undertaking even for someone who is fit. I have seen a lot of people who have been running for years crash and burn on the marathon. Why not set some longer term goals with shorter ones along the way? You are changing your life for the rest of your life, not just one year. So why not a one year goal of doing a half marathon and a sprint triathlon? Make the marathon your 2 year goal. All the best to you on your journey to fitness!!
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    The toughest thing about training for marathons and triathlons is avoiding injury. You are already injured. Set a goal to rehab your injuries and lose, say, 15 pounds. Then reassess, and move on from there.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I did, and had mixed results.

Started running in earnest January 2013. In June at 200mi, ran a HM (not my first though). Two weeks later, sprint tri (mid-Jun, pool), month later, Xterra (mid-Jul, OWS/MTB), and another month later, sprint tri (end of Aug, OWS). One week after the last sprint tri, I ran my first full marathon (first wkd of Sep). At the time of the marathon, I had 600 miles since picking up running.

In hindsight, I should have held off on the marathon and spent more time swimming. I felt that my marathon performance was a disaster considering my expectations, and my first and third tri were learning experiences. I had a blast at the Xterra though and won overall in the sprint distance thanks to piddly competition.

My future with all of it... I'm concentrating on the marathon. That's my priority. Eventually, I'd like to get back into triathlons and complete an Ironman (bucketlist, not as a regular competitor), but my time as a single dad is a scarce resource and I am afraid of the swim (ehhh).
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I definitely think that you have some very high, almost unattainable goals in a short time. For example, if you injure yourself, you're S.O.L on your time frame. Do you know what your running pace is? Mine is super slow. It takes me an hour and a half just to run 6 miles right now. I definitely don't want to be running for the better part of a day doing a marathon. I ran my first 5k last year and this year am concentrating on running 5ks consistently and increasing my speed. Maybe this fall I'll attempt a 10k but most likely that'll happen next year.

At the very least, start a C25K program and reevaluate when you're finished.
  • aswearingen22
    aswearingen22 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Wow, let's start with some small goals before we reach for the marathon. I ran my first marathon after running 30+ miles/week consistently for 3 YEARS and it was still the toughest thing I've ever done. And I'd been running 3 miles here and there a few times a week for 10 years. A marathon seems to be a bucket list item for a lot of people, but it wasn't for me, it was a natural progression. I started with 5k's, moved onto half marathons for a few years, then decided to take on the marathon. I highly suggest you go get fitted for running shoes at a local running specialty store and start the Coach to 5k program. Once you are comfortably running 5k's (and assuming you can with the injuries you're starting with, I'd highly recommend going to a chiro or sports med dr and getting those worked out BEFORE starting the coach to 5k program). A marathon and the training is very hard on your body, you can't start out injured or you'll never get to the starting line.

I like the idea of a sprint tri. More cross training will be easier on your body. The 5k races work in nicely with this distance. After you've been consistently running for 1-2 years, THEN consider the marathon. Otherwise I really think you're setting yourself up for failure, and that's no fun.
  • adopp062715
    adopp062715 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I agree with a lot of people here that you have some aggressive goals. Not that that's a bad thing but it may be too much especially for someone who hasn't run in a very very long time. I would say set your sights on either of the goals but not both at the same time. Also instead of a marathon in a year (which can be done with a lot of hard work and dedication) maybe try for a half marathon in a year. The time commitment of a half marathon vs a full marathon is significantly less just because you aren't running as long of a distance. You should seriously think about what you want to do and probably talk to your doctor to get some advice. Or even a fitness expert.
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    On the triathlon front.

I am twenty years old and haven't had a bike since primary (about 11yo) when I used to ride every day no hands etc.

Two days ago I bought a bike and went a cycle.

It was terrifying, so much so I just didn't indicate because there was no way I was lifting a hand off the handlebars.

Moral of the story try a bike before you go off on this triathlon tangent.
  • sparky00721
    sparky00721 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all your responses - excellent points, solid advice and very much appreciated!

I have decided to shelve the idea of a marathon for the time being and scale back my goals: currently aiming for a minimum goal of a sprint triathlon plus a 10 km run event and 60 pounds weight loss within the year, but I am not so stressed about that timeline that I would be tempted to push myself too hard just to meet it. Trust me, lots of things successfully tempt me into unwise action - mostly pizza-related things - but pushing myself too hard is not one of them!

If it looks like a half-marathon might be doable for me within the year after I become regular and comfortable at the 10 km distance, I'll consider. But I am super-concerned about the prospect of injuries, and even with my earlier wildly ambitious goal of a marathon within the year, I was planning on starting super-duper slowly (13 weeks of walking only, then walk/run for another 13 weeks). I am 4 weeks into the walking stage at present. In any event as some of you have mentioned, whatever the running distance, I should hopefully benefit from the cross-training for a modest triathlon activity.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your advice and experiences, and congratulations on your various achievements in the past. I am grateful to have found such an experienced, supportive community!
  • hermann341
    Options
    For what it's worth, just losing the 60 pounds can have a dramatic impact on your performance. I lost over 20 pounds between my last two marathons, and improved my time by 28 minutes (4:56 to 4:28).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I am looking for advice and perspective on the sanity of trying to lose 60 pounds while training from zero to marathon and triathlon participation, all within one year.

Years ago I did the couch to tri (Olympic) while losing 60 lbs part of this. Didn't run a marathon until the following year, however, but I did do a Half. I was only 32-33 at the time, though, and went from 180-120.

I think the Tri part of it would be totally doable for you, barring injury, as well as the weight loss. Just realize that anything can happen, of course. I actually didn't start training (although I'd been running a lot and swimming some) until some months in, after I'd lost 35-40 lbs, since I was getting bored with less focused cardio and my weight loss was stalling a bit. I wasn't super hardcore about the Tri training vs. the kind of training some people do, and I found all the required cross training and even the bricks were generally a lot easier on the body than when I'd been running more days a week earlier in the process and than the long runs when I later did do the Marathon training.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    If you're happy to do the Marathon at a slow pace, don't see any reason why not.
    It's that along with the dodgy knee that would worry me. Won't be helped by trying to lose weight - which will help the knee, but will likely harm recovery not having spare energy lying about to use.