Back Squat - Form Question

Options
This seems super simple, but I'm getting different answers from everyone.

Half of the people I talk to say you have to squat down to where your thighs are parallel to the floor.

Then there are those "*kitten* to grass" people that say it's not a squat unless you're deeper than parallel to the floor.

So, which is it? I'm now squatting 120 lbs and I record myself every so often to check out my form (I work out at home alone). I'm definitely getting parallel every time and I try to go as deep as I can, but I don't get a whole lot deeper than that. I can definitely go deep in a bodyweight or lightweight squat no problem, but with the heavier weights and no safety rails/power rack, I don't want to risk tipping back or having to bail out of the squat.

Thoughts?

Replies

• levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I squat below parallel, not ATG but pretty low. I agree that if you can't squat below parallel, you may as well go home (or just use lighter weights til you can :smile: )

How is your stance? I stand somewhat wide with my toes slightly turned out which puts me in a position to just sit down naturally and get very low.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    first things first

low bar or high bar?
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I squat below parallel, not ATG but pretty low. I agree that if you can't squat below parallel, you may as well go home (or just use lighter weights til you can :smile: )

How is your stance? I stand somewhat wide with my toes slightly turned out which puts me in a position to just sit down naturally and get very low.

I have a wide stance with toes slightly turned out as well.
    first things first

low bar or high bar?

High bar.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Bumping cause I want to know too!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    you should squat below parallel... it doesn't have to be literally *kitten* to grass though
  • robweaver77
    Options
    If you're doing lowbar squats, a bit below parallel (hip crease below the top of the knee) is best. Try to go too much lower and you'll unload the glutes/hamstrings and lose power. If you're doing highbar squats, going ATG is fine, since you are primarily working the quads. I am not as familiar with highbar squats, so someone else might know better than me about them. Personally, I do lowbar and front squats. Lowbar I go for just below parallel and front squats I go until my hamstrings hit my calves.
  • TKhamvongsa
    TKhamvongsa Posts: 287
    Options
    I do high bar - I squat below parallel - basically ATG because my legs are short and I like to feel the burn/muscles across my butt move before I move up and clench.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I agree with neandermagnon...on my warm ups I get ATG...

on my working weight almost ATG...but definately below parallel and I work out at home.

If you have someone in your life that is handy have them build you a squat rack with rails..my husband son did for me...

It's crude but it works and I now have that safety thing taken care of.

Another suggestion would be to get a box for your squats at the height which is below parellel but not necessarily ATG...

I did that on my first deload and it helped me a lot..however I wills say this...

Parellel squats @ `180 aren't as hard as almost ATG squats @ 160....
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Looks like I'll be fixing my squats tomorrow. Hopefully I don't have to deload. We'll see.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    This has got to be the most useful thread I've seen all week. Thank you!
  • Meredith8684
    Meredith8684 Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I love ATG squats, both back and front. They do a much better job at working my quads AND glutes. Plus, they're super impressive!
  • TKhamvongsa
    TKhamvongsa Posts: 287
    Options
    Looks like I'll be fixing my squats tomorrow. Hopefully I don't have to deload. We'll see.

As SezxyStef has suggested - get a box just below parallel and use that as guide - with this - I doubt you'd have to deload. This was the only way I taught myself how to get low.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I agree with neandermagnon...on my warm ups I get ATG...

on my working weight almost ATG...but definately below parallel and I work out at home.

Another suggestion would be to get a box for your squats at the height which is below parellel but not necessarily ATG...

I did that on my first deload and it helped me a lot..however I wills say this...

Parellel squats @ `180 aren't as hard as almost ATG squats @ 160....

I would agree with almost all of this except box squats.
    Under 80% of my 1 rmp is ATG.
    80% to 100% winds up being breaking parallel.

Moving on
    I'm a big fan of pause squats rather than box squats- mostly because releasing significant weight solely on your spine (so working weights) with the sitting can be extremely hard on your body. using unweighted box squats- or just the bar and a box at the right height is a good idea, or better yet

Get under the bar- have your friend eye ball and tell you when you hit depth.- and how much further are you going- so you need to know where you are hitting- having someone there is helpful for this.

I definitely warm up and go all the way top to bottom as long as I can.

I went and saw someone because I felt like I had significant issues with my squats. He recommend a belt- not because my form was bad- but because I wasn't properly bracing my abs. And it was causing an elevator up *kitten*- then chest- then *kitten*.
    So make sure THAT isn't' happening as well.

One of my reason was- just chest up enough (which I was aware of ) but secondly was poor bracing/valsavla technique... I currently only use my belt when I'm at 80% or higher and I have trouble bracing- but using the belt has helped me get a better feel of what needs bracing- even with internal breath- so that might be an option..

ATG for low bar is out.

But High bar- you at LEAST want to break hip crease to knee.

Check Kelly starlett as well for mobility work if you're finding ankle hip tightness limiting you.

I found bringing my feet in just a hair gave me more drive- but it took some time to adjust to that. Felt awkward as hell the first couple of sets but it gets better!!!
  • SezxyStef
    Options

As SezxyStef has suggested - get a box just below parallel and use that as guide - with this - I doubt you'd have to deload. This was the only way I taught myself how to get low.

Don't use a box. That is horrible for your spine. You have all this weight on your shoulders being supported, and you sit on something. That has a multiplying impact straight down your spine. When I see people do that, I cringe.

I never ever sat on it tho...ever (well once when I had an epic fail)

for me it was just a "guide" to know I was low enough

ETA: it was suggested on the "so you think you can squat" series on youtube which I did find quite useful.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    You can also use a small rubber ball or something that just gives you a queue. Me, personally, I'd just not do it at all.

teh stability balls are okay for this- you can use them set inside a stepper riser (the black square things) so they don't roll away.

Personally I find doing reduced weight pause squats with someone there- or you actually watching yourself *which is easier to do with lighter weight is extremely effective for getting a good feel for the depth you need to hit.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    first things first

low bar or high bar?

Since you're my go-to gal, explain low bar and high bar please. Thank you.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    You can also use a small rubber ball or something that just gives you a queue. Me, personally, I'd just not do it at all.

teh stability balls are okay for this- you can use them set inside a stepper riser (the black square things) so they don't roll away.

Personally I find doing reduced weight pause squats with someone there- or you actually watching yourself *which is easier to do with lighter weight is extremely effective for getting a good feel for the depth you need to hit.

this is what I do now...I deloaded again and am currently working up again getting below parallel on the low bar back squats.