Imbalance in the numbers

Hello all,

I am a new member (mid April) and really enjoy the site. I am guessing that this post might generate a bit of controversy but here goes. I have been working a medically supervised liquid weight loss program since March 3 and have dropped 60 pounds (started at a modest 426 and am "all the way down" to 366 as of 5/5). The program nutrition is 800 calories, 50 carbs, 125 proteins, and some fat (don't remember the count). This phase of the program is 90 days. Yes, I am aware of the criticisms regarding low carb, muscle loss, etc. There is a good deal of history with this program and this phase is short term so I can live with it. I am allowed to eat up to 10 additional carbs per day.

The problem with this phase is that I really can't do much exercise without triggering starvation responses. As you might imagine I am feeling so much better with this initial weight loss that I really want to exercise. With that in mind I have added some protein to my exercise days to help counter this. It seems to be working so far but I wonder how far I can carry it.

Thats the background to my question. When I record my food I end up way over in proteins, good in carbs , and about 1200-1500 calories. I understand that excesses in the body store as fat. If I add more protein but keep the calories/carbs in line am I causing a problem for myself?

I still have a long road to go to get to my goal weight and don't intend to continue it with this method. Eventually I will be counting calories more than carbs.

Replies

• timragan
    timragan Posts: 117 Member
    Hello all,

I am a new member (mid April) and really enjoy the site. I am guessing that this post might generate a bit of controversy but here goes. I have been working a medically supervised liquid weight loss program since March 3 and have dropped 60 pounds (started at a modest 426 and am "all the way down" to 366 as of 5/5). The program nutrition is 800 calories, 50 carbs, 125 proteins, and some fat (don't remember the count). This phase of the program is 90 days. Yes, I am aware of the criticisms regarding low carb, muscle loss, etc. There is a good deal of history with this program and this phase is short term so I can live with it. I am allowed to eat up to 10 additional carbs per day.

The problem with this phase is that I really can't do much exercise without triggering starvation responses. As you might imagine I am feeling so much better with this initial weight loss that I really want to exercise. With that in mind I have added some protein to my exercise days to help counter this. It seems to be working so far but I wonder how far I can carry it.

Thats the background to my question. When I record my food I end up way over in proteins, good in carbs , and about 1200-1500 calories. I understand that excesses in the body store as fat. If I add more protein but keep the calories/carbs in line am I causing a problem for myself?

I still have a long road to go to get to my goal weight and don't intend to continue it with this method. Eventually I will be counting calories more than carbs.
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    First of all I want to say....congrats for losing the first 60! I think its amazing and good for you!!!

I have very little if any knowledge on liquid diets but feel better knowing your being monitored by your doctor...still I can only imagine how hard it must be! so hugs!

Second...I am again not too sure but I'm sure you'll get better info on this as well, but I also go over here and there on carbs and protiens and feel its okay for me, but since you're doing this special diet as well ....what does your doctor think? again I wish you luck!!! and hope you get to exercise soon...good for you!!!

hugs!
    Ali
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    I think the only real issue with liquid diets, etc., is that people try them on their own. Congratulations on your incredible loss so far and on being under your docs supervision and care! I would definately seek your docs advice on this - as we are not docs and don't know exactly what he has in mind.

You are doing awesome!! Congratulations on a healthier new life!! Hugs from me too! - Kim
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    the important thing to note here is that it is "medically supervised". I have no problem with any diet that is being monitored by a doctor. I have personally done a lot of research on this topic, and everything I have found says that the vlc diets (like what you are on) are good for people who are morbidly obese, as long as they are supervied by a doctor and have a strict end date that weens you back off the vlc and toward a more normal weight loss program.