For women only: Tampon or Softcup?

Options
EmmieBaby
EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
Hello Ladies,

I will be running my second mud run this year next week. and Aunt Flow is expected (thankfully not during the heaviest time)

I've worn pads since my first period.

At almost 27 years old I've only recently tried tampons (still not 100% I am doing it right since I feel it in there) and I have never tried soft cups (are they easy to put in?) - I honestly feel like a shy 12 year old asking mom for help.

Any suggestions as to which would be best for the Mud run? (Mud hero to be exact)

Replies

• EmmieBaby
    Options
    bump
  • ladyargentum
    ladyargentum Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Go for a tampon. Menstrual cups can be a lot of effort to get use to and if you have never used them before I wouldn't try to just for this. (Certainly give them a go if you want but I needed time to get use to the damn things). With the tampon if you can feel it generally that means you need to insert it further. Give the pamphlet that is in every box another read.

Good Luck :)
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    I've never been able to properly insert the softcup.. I stick with tampons. I wanted to try the cup but then the mess of removal and clean up is... daunting, to say the least.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1311772-ladies-tom-what-do-you-do?page=3

third page- half way down- naiomigee- says she mods some groups for softcups- she would probably have some thoughts for you.
  • EmmieBaby
    Options
    Thanks guys =)
  • Ringer1022
    Ringer1022 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I've used tampons since I was 15.... I started my regular cycles at the ripe age of 11. I absolutely loath pads because of the mess they leave on ME.

I agree with the before poster; if you can feel them, you're likely not inserted properly. You should also try different brands and varieties. I prefer the Gentle Glidesor Pearl ones; they seem to have a much better fit than any of the "carboard tube" style ones. Also easier to insert the full distance since the appliator is smooth. There are other

Hope this helps some.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Tampon....

I haven't used the cups. Tampons work just fine for me.
  • Thom_Kat
    Thom_Kat Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I use the DivaCup most of the time and it is honestly one of my favorite investments. It does take some time to get comfortable with and learn how to properly use. Plus, there is a bit of an "ick" factor involved. Don't try it if you're squeamish. Pro tip: Definitely use with panty liners until you get the hang of it.

That said, tampons are better for me when I exercise. By far!
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I found tampons a bit hard to use for the first few years but the ones with the plastic applicators changed all that and I thought 'wow, this is so much easier, cleaner and more comfortable, I'm never going back to sanitary pads'. Anyway, now I use a cup and I had the exact same thoughts but about tampons. It's so much better, more hygienic, better for the environment, and doesn't smell (because what smells is the blood soaking into the cotton and coming into contact with air, etc.). I can also wear the cup in races if I think my period is due but it hasn't started yet, which you wouldn't with a tampon.

But next week might be a bit too soon.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Just remember that toxic shock syndrome affects 1 in 100,000 women. I don't know how current that statistic is but those are the numbers I remember reading on the pamphlet that came with my mother's tampons when I was growing up. What can I say, we didn't have magazines in the bathroom. Good luck on your Mud Run!
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I use the DivaCup most of the time and it is honestly one of my favorite investments. It does take some time to get comfortable with and learn how to properly use. Plus, there is a bit of an "ick" factor involved. Don't try it if you're squeamish. Pro tip: Definitely use with panty liners until you get the hang of it.

I'd be interested to know why... only because they say they are so comfortable (from what I've read) you can PM me separately if you don't want to disclose in public. or tell me to go pound sand it's to personal LOL- I'm good either way!!!
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    I've used tampons since I was 15.... I started my regular cycles at the ripe age of 11. I absolutely loath pads because of the mess they leave on ME.

yep, can't stand pads. I haven't tried the cups and don't really have the desire to at this time. If your flow isn't very heavy, you can get a lighter absorbency tampon to use, and like previously stated, if you can feel it it probably isn't in far enough.

Good luck on your run!
  • Thom_Kat
    Thom_Kat Posts: 17 Member
    Options

I'd be interested to know why... only because they say they are so comfortable (from what I've read) you can PM me separately if you don't want to disclose in public. or tell me to go pound sand it's to personal LOL- I'm good either way!!!

No problem discussing here. Sorry if this is TMI (we are big girls, right? For the sake of info.), but tampons stay in place better. I almost always spring a leak with the cup if it's a heavy day. I guess it shifts? Light days are fine either way. Of course, that is just my own personal experience.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Just remember that toxic shock syndrome affects 1 in 100,000 women. I don't know how current that statistic is but those are the numbers I remember reading on the pamphlet that came with my mother's tampons when I was growing up. What can I say, we didn't have magazines in the bathroom. Good luck on your Mud Run!

Toxic Shock Syndrome can actually happen to anyone. Men and children get it from skin infections like chicken pox, packing for nosebleeds. TSS is also linked to the diaphram and contraceptive sponge too, but it's pretty rare to get it.
  • JoRocka
    Options

No problem discussing here. Sorry if this is TMI (we are big girls, right? For the sake of info.), but tampons stay in place better. I almost always spring a leak with the cup if it's a heavy day. I guess it shifts? Light days are fine either way. Of course, that is just my own personal experience.

it's mfp- some of us are adults - some of us- not so much!!!

okay- that's fine- I know they say it's usable with sports- but I wanted to know from someone first hand. I get the feeling it would feel weird/.uncomfortable with heavy internal pressure days- like squatting requires a great deal of internal pressure and it seems like it might be weird there.

But thank you! I appreciate it!
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Non-applicator tampons FTW

I find applicators tend to 'ram' them into the wrong place making them uncomfortable. Non-applicator you can wiggle into place more gently so you won't notice them.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I prefer the soft cup. Tampons are uncomfortable for me, but I can't feel the cup. Agree about the squeamish factor, though.
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I've never tried the cup. It looked tempting to, but I'm approaching menopause and I've used tampons and pads all my life. And I doubt I could learn to use the cup, anyway.
  • ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    Options

lol, you are so well informed
  • Chaskavitch
    Chaskavitch Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I can never get a softcup to stay in, but I <3 my DivaCup. I find that tampons make my cramps worse (it might be all in my head, but it still happens), and I HATE wearing pads. Definitely a little bit of a learning curve for how to put it in and when you're trying to figure out how often to empty it, and it is a little icky if you don't like blood or your lady-bits. However, I haven't bought tampons or pads in 5 years except to stock our guest bedroom and it is amazing.

I think I have to take it out less often then I ever did using tampons, it is more comfortable once you get the hang of it, and mine never leaks unless I actually forget I have it in and don't empty it (which still takes a long time to happen). Also, no strings! Great for swimsuits :)