Confession

Options
I am addicted to sugar. I have been fooling myself, not charting certain sweets I eat, sneaking sugary items when no-one was looking. Trying to convience myself it's ok, just this once. Today is my first day of no sugar. It's 7:12pm and so far so good. I am however drinking slim fast which has sugar in it but what I"m addicted to is the likes of cake, pie, candy, ice cream ect. I have got to get over this addiciton. I never had a sweet tooth but I quit smoking last dec. 26th and after quitting I developed a sweet tooth like you wouldnt believe. Hence, I've gained over 50lbs. I just felt like If I posted my problem perhaps it would make it more real to me and therefore assist in putting an end to it. I work 3:30 to midnight so I've several more hours to go. If i can just make it through work and the gym tonight I can go home and crash before I have the chance to mess it all up. Wish me luck. This just might be the hardest addction I'll ever break.

Replies

• ToniMaybe
    Options
    First off, congrats on quitting smoking!

Now, I personally have never smoked, but I hear it's a dang hard thing to quit. If you can do that, you can beat this addiction! Good job posting it and making it public and holding yourself accountable. Just take it one day at a time, and if you ever need support, I'm here for you, as are the thousands of others using this site.

Whenever I'm craving something sweet, a piece of fruit or, randomly, celery, helps calm the craving.

You can do it!
  • jerseygirl777
    Options
    Good luck! Try the extra dessert gum, or sucking on a piece of sugar-free candy if the temptation arises! And don't cheat your food log. Maybe log the food BEFORE you eat it, so that the guilt may keep you from indulging. These are some things I do... hope it helps!
  • happy115
    Options
    I have the same problem... It's usually my sweet tooth that pushes my calories wayyyyyyyy beyond what I should be having...
    I'm trying to eat sugar free jello/pudding to help w/ my sweet tooth ...
  • artickb22
    artickb22 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the support! I'm going to need it!! I'm finding gum is helping so far and sunflower seeds but they are so full of sodoium. I am also drinking a TON of water. I know I can do this. Thanks again for the advice, suggestions and support.
  • TracyL0228
    Options
    I am with you on the sweet tooth!! I love anything sweet especially chocolate! I find that if I get my mind off the craving it will go away in 10 to 20 minutes. I try listening to music, starting a conversation with someone (not about eating sweets though!) or chewing some minty gum. I find that strong gum such as peppermint or cinnamon makes sweets less desirable when my mouth feels minty fresh.

Tracy
  • Suedre
    Suedre Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I brush my teeth. I never want sugar right after.
  • TuscanySun
    TuscanySun Posts: 3,608 Member
    Options
    A HUGE congrats on quitting smoking...been there and its not easy. Suggestion with the sugar thing...check out what you're eating...if you're consuming alot of franken-sugars (Splenda, aspertame, sucralose and all the other fake sugars) and they do put it in alot of things (ie anything that says sugar-free, diet pop, sugar free gums/puddings/jellos etc)....try cutting these out. Some studies show that in certain people, these fake sugars actually make your brain crave sugar/sweets. Totally counter productive to trying to kill the sweet tooth.

Good luck and good job on holding yourself accountable!
  • kaslack
    Options
    Do something positive that is time consuming - when I quit smoking, I would slowly peel a "Clemintine" orange (the really little ones) and eat it. It will take your mind off of what you're not supposed to be thinking about (sugar in this instance) and help you to put something good into your body.

You can do this! Think about the end result - if it was easy, everyone would do it!
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Good for you for putting it out there and making it known. You do want to be held accountable and we will certainly encourage you to make better choices when those sugar cravings occur. Previous posts are good regarding brushing your teeth and finding a sugarless gum that satisfies; drinking lots of water is great too! Good luck to you on breaking this addiction. You have already proved how tough you are by quitting smoking...kudos to you!!!!!!!!!!!
  • FlashBang
    Options
    I do not know anyone more addicted to carbs of all kinds than me. I have never smoked but I think it is similar. The cravings go away. Log it all no matter how far over it takes you. If it fits your overall all calorie goal you win. Go over and you loose. It is not about the sugar it is about the deficit. Keep your deficit and you will loose weight. If the carbs do send you over, target them and get them down. They are not bad, in fact many are very good. I deny myself nothing I just eat very little of it. I thought Halloween was going to be a problem, candy does not taste as good as I remember. I ate plenty, even went over, but, 5 pounds are now sitting on the kitchen table and could care less. My sweet tooth is gone, eating healthy and eliminating artificial sweeteners did the trick.