Very low energy

Options
I have lost about 40 lbs over 6 months (180-141lbs) and still go to the gym at least three times a week. I mostly lift weights and slip cardio in there when I can as well. I do track my calories during a workout, including when i'm lifting. For about a month now i've taken one week offo from the gym then go back the following one, then take a one week break. Not on purpose mostly just get lazy about it. On the weeks I do go to the gym i have realized I have NO engergy at about 1pm. Suddenly I have a hard time crawling out of bed even after 7-9 hours of sleep. I drink coffee in the morning but that really only gets me to about 1pm and I just crash and have no energy the rest of the day. Could someone help me with this? My food diary is public so maybe I'm missing something in there. It is seriously becoming an issue. I thought working out was supposed to increase my energy!! Thank you in advance.:sad: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:

Replies

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Not on purpose mostly just get lazy about it.

Lazy is a state of mind and will impact your general mood and energy levels.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    If you want to go to the gym, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse.

Although you're correlating your exercise with low energy, I don't think that's the problem.
  • bgonzalez1120
    bgonzalez1120 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You are absolutely right! And im not saying that I'm using the low energy as an excuse to not go to the gym. I'm just not understanding my low energy levels early and late afternoon. I dont eat my calories back very often so that may be part of the problem.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Have you adjusted/changed your goals since starting six months ago? You've lost 40lbs and I assume became more active - it's likely your caloric needs have changed. And by your ticker, you're looking to lose about 13 more lbs - is your weekly loss goal set to 2lbs a week? If so, change it to 1/2 lb a week. I'd be willing to bet that 1200 cals is way too low for you, and could be the reason for the exhaustion.

Keep in mind that increasing cals may cause your scale to show a slight gain of a few pounds at first, but stick with it - it can take 4-6 weeks for things to "even out" and start showing loss again. Grab a tape measure and start tracking your measurements if you're not already - when you get down to the last few pounds, often you'll see inches coming off while the scale is busy messing with your head.

Edited to add: Saw your post just above mine - at 1200 cals you should most definitely be eating back exercise cals. Food is fuel!
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    You're averaging 1200 calories or so, and have a few days in the mid-800s. What kind of energy levels would you expect if you're not going to eat?
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I find my energy levels when I work out are greatly affected by what I eat. For example If i eat a lot of low cal food and then go to combat I'll do a great burn but if I eat a little high cal food I completely burn out at combat. Same amount of calories just different ways of consuming them.

This is just my experience yours could completely differ.
  • Michelle2W
    Michelle2W Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're eating enough.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    You're averaging 1200 calories or so, and have a few days in the mid-800s. What kind of energy levels would you expect if you're not going to eat?

Yeah. I think 1200ish calorie diets are fine for some people, but obviously not for you if you're feeling like this and are as active as you are. You might need to deal with losing weight more slowly in exchange for feeling better. Having no energy when you're eating as little as you are is a sign you need to bump up the calories, check your nutrition, and realize you might have to be less aggressive with your loss. No need to feel like garbage if you can prevent it. Some hunger is okay but exhaustion is definitely not.