How many sets should I do?

Options
Lisa1971
Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
So right now I usually do 8-10 reps with a weight as heavy as I can tolerate and then repeat the same sequence. Should I do 2 or 3 sets? After 2 sets I'm really feeling it and by now 30 mins have gone by. Should I lighten the weights to squeak out another set or keep it as it is? My goal is to lose body fat!

Thanks so much!

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I would recommend following a program and then doing whatever amount of sets it specifies instead of picking an arbitrary number. Having said that, most programs will fall in the 3-5 set range per exercise. Some even as high as 10 sets. I'm not sure if I've ever seen a program that only had 2 sets, that seems outside of the norm.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    ....After 2 sets I'm really feeling it and by now 30 mins have gone by.

i'm unclear. are you saying that you wait 30 mins or longer between sets?
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    WUT R UR GOALZ
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    WUT R UR GOALZ
    Excuse me? I don't understand this.
  • Cranquistador
    Options
    WUT R UR GOALZ
    That's because you're old.
    come here a sec.
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    WUT R UR GOALZ
    come here a sec.

direwolf.gif
  • Lisa1971
    Options
    ....After 2 sets I'm really feeling it and by now 30 mins have gone by.

i'm unclear. are you saying that you wait 30 mins or longer between sets?

No..sorry if I was unclear. I do a upper body or lower body routine depending on the day. I rest about a minute in between sets. It takes about 15 mins for me to complete about 8-10 reps of each exercise that I do and I do 2 sets of each exercise.

For example, Monday I do bicep curls, OH press, tricep presses, rows, pushups, lateral raises, front raises, and chest presses. To do all of these it takes me roughly 15 mins doing about 10 per set. Just wondering if I should do 3 sets or keep it to 2.

Sorry for the confusion!
  • DavPul
    Options
    Thank you for clarifying. It makes more sense now. You're doing a circuit. If you're relatively new to fitness, twice may be enough. Then add a 3rd, 4th or 5th round as you see fit.

You should add some lunges and stiff leg deadlifts in there right now. As you progress, some tuck jumps, split jumps, and burpees will ramp up the difficulty.
  • 34blast
    34blast Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you might be doing circuit training. Nothing wrong with that. Circuit training would be something like
    Squat 1 set
    Bench 1 Set
    Row 1 Set
    Overhead Press 1 set
    Curl 1 Set
    Triceps extensions 1 set
    Shrugs 1 set
    Repeat circuit

Many folks do that while cutting with little to no rest between between exercises

During strength training you typically do 1 or 2 things together
    Squat 3 sets x 5 reps with any where from 30 seconds to 5 minutes rest between sets staying on the same squat rack. I always do about 2 minutes
    Move onto bench press and repeat
    Move onto Rows and repeat
    etc

To answer your question it depends. For circuit training if you are doing a bunch of exercises it is probably enough. Shoot for 30 - 50 minutes or what you can tolerate. IF traditional lifting if you are doing it 3 times a week, 2 x 10 is probably enough, but I would shoot for 3x8 or 3x10 for 40 minutes working the major muscle groups.
  • TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    WUT R UR GOALZ

That was rude.
  • Lisa1971
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone!
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    WUT R UR GOALZ

That was rude.

:noway:
  • Cranquistador
    Options
    WUT R UR GOALZ

That was rude.
    we are friends...he was playing around with me,:flowerforyou:
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    WUT R UR GOALZ

That was rude.

They are friends and he was teasing her. They are joking on our newsfeed about it, she wasn't offended. It was rude of you to report it.
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    WUT R UR GOALZ

That was rude.

Reported. Violation of community guidelines.

1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.

b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.
  • DavPul
    Options
    Why are people hating on trail nurse? She's thought she saw an insult and she reported to get the insult removed. She, nor the mods should not be expected to know what's a joke or not, and even if they could, joking exchanges get strikes all the time.

If people want to run around reporting people all the time, then it should be expected that someone we or our friends will get reported too. The least we can do is be adult about it and take it like the men and women we are. Comes around goes around.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Why are people hating on trail nurse? She's thought she saw an insult and she reported to get the insult removed. She, nor the mods should not be expected to know what's a joke or not, and even if they could, joking exchanges get strikes all the time.

If people want to run around reporting people all the time, then it should be expected that someone we or our friends will get reported too. The least we can do is be adult about it and take it like the men and women we are. Comes around goes around.

I can understand reporting it if you really thought it was an insult, I don't understand coming back and calling "troll" because you just did what you found so offensive.
  • DavPul
    Options
    I see what you're saying, but since I call virtually everyone on the site with a ridiculous question a troll I have to forfeit my right to be offended by non swear words. YMMV
  • margannmks
    margannmks Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Her post said upper body or lower body depending on the day ,so i dont consider that circuits,she gave her upper body as an example of what her exercises were for that day, i do that and do 3 sets of 10. If her weights are to heavy to do that then she probably would benefit from less reps per set and more sets. Not really sure if time is her issue or what. If its time than subtract some of the exercises from the equation and do more sets of the others.
  • DavPul
    Options
    Her post said upper body or lower body depending on the day ,so i dont consider that circuits,she gave her upper body as an example of what her exercises were for that day, i do that and do 3 sets of 10. If her weights are to heavy to do that then she probably would benefit from less reps per set and more sets. Not really sure if time is her issue or what. If its time than subtract some of the exercises from the equation and do more sets of the others.

Now I've reread her clarification 3 more times and you may be right. I'm still not sure to. I'm confused AND I BLAME THE OP. She's caused nothing but trouble today! Getting people strikes, breaking up friendships, creating drama and her most egregious offense to date, forcing me to admit that I may be wrong.

*shakes first at sky*

DAMMIT OP, YOU WILL PAY FOR SINS TODAY!