Binge, Fast, Burn - Need EXPERT Advice

Options
So, here's the deal, I love my MFP family, but for this discussion, I'm really looking for input from nutritionists, dieticians, doctors, physical trainers, etc. Opinions and anecdotes than cannot be supported by large data sets or scientific evidence will just not be useful. Plus... I'm sure many of you would be curious to see the answer to this question.

When I started on my journey about 6 months ago, I was looking to make changes to my life that were sustainable for the long haul. 6 months and 70 lbs later, I know that I have made those changes. My diet and exercise patterns are consistent and manageable, and I will maintain them.

But... there is one albatross looming, and I knew, even when I started, that there was one thing I was simply not willing to change about my life. That thing is NFL Sundays. I want to be able to sit in front of the TV with whatever junk I want in my lap (or sports bar), and munch and watch football. I DO KNOW that I will not have the volume of food or even the horrible quality of food that I once had. Fried wings will be replaced by naked tenders, chili cheese will be replaced by guacamole, etc. BUT... I will still want to snack and chow without concern for that day's count.

So, in my mind, the best way to offset the extra caloric intake would be to get a big burn workout in, and a semi-fasting day in to help offset the In/Out ratio for a 48 hour spread.

Here's the question:

Is there a difference or does it matter what order this is done?
Eg... Sunday junk, Monday morning burn, Monday ~500kcal day?
Maybe Saturday fast, Saturday evening burn, Sunday snack?
Sunday morning burn?

I figure when you add up the in/out over a 48 hour period, it is what it is, and the order shouldn't matter as long as I hit my window, but I'm curious to see if there is a more scientific answer.

Thanks!

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    It's not gonna matter if it's in a 48 hour period. Do whatever you feel like.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    NFL Sundays.

I'm sorry. You had me at NFL Sundays!:drinker: :drinker: :flowerforyou: :heart: :heart:
  • nyiballs
    nyiballs Posts: 147
    Options
    This article supports the post-binge workout and fast... just not sure if it's reputable.
    http://fatburningman.com/4-simple-strategies-to-burn-fat-after-a-binge/

I'll be honest, it really has me scared. I've made major changes to my life and I want to be able to give myself this, without knocking down a house of cards.
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    I do that too. Or sometimes spread it out over a week and eat 50-100 or whatever calories less everyday. Although I prefer the 48-hour window. I was curious about whether or not this is healthy myself.
  • greentart
    greentart Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I know this is going to sound maybe a little strange... but why don't you try it? Do it for one Sunday, and see if it works. See if your body feels okay doing that. See if you gain 5 lbs from just one day (highly doubtful). I'm not a nutritionist, but I know that people can have "cheat" days and be perfectly fine.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I know this is going to sound maybe a little strange... but why don't you try it?

This. This is what I was going to suggest. As with any routine, to make sure it's truly going to work for you, give yourself some time to test it out.

(Any truth to a depletion workout ahead of the cheat too?)
  • nyiballs
    Options
    Alrighty... we'll give it a shot.

The concern doesn't lie in one week mind you, it lies in 17 weeks, will it start me on a gaining path over a few weeks? I'm comfortable and confident enough to know I can adjust as needed. Come football season, we'll do a Saturday weigh-in and then a Wednesday weigh in and see what happens.

My plan will be to trim back late Saturday, do a mini-intermittent style fast Saturday evening until game-time Sunday to give me some good burning time, with a good Sunday morning workout. Eat till my heart's content on Sunday, then do a very light day Monday with a monster workout using all the energy I injested the day before. Tuesday should flush me out, and Wednesday should give me a good benchmark.
  • dmorinn
    dmorinn Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    if you're counting calories/macros everyday and eating right all week, you should reward yourself with a cheat meal once a week. I do intermittent fasting where I only eat within an 8 hour window and the idea is to work out in a fasted state to burn the most fat then you have your largest meal (suggested 50% of your calories) after your workout. So what I would suggest doing is fast all day sunday, work out before the game then reward yourself with a huge meal afterwards! Then get right back on schedule monday morning.
  • nyiballs
    Options
    if you're counting calories/macros everyday and eating right all week, you should reward yourself with a cheat meal once a week. I do intermittent fasting where I only eat within an 8 hour window and the idea is to work out in a fasted state to burn the most fat then you have your largest meal (suggested 50% of your calories) after your workout. So what I would suggest doing is fast all day sunday, work out before the game then reward yourself with a huge meal afterwards! Then get right back on schedule monday morning.

So let's say I want my cheat meal around the 1pm start time. Would you say, eat dinner night before and nothing after 7, let's say, then do my 1000kcal workout around 11am, and party on? Given my goals, that could afford me a 1500 kcal lunch without much concern?