Exercises to tone abs?

WalkingGirl1985
WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,046 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
I have about 56 pounds to go I believe on my weight loss and I'm currently doing cardio, strength training, some wrist weights for my arms, and yoga...and for those the girls who have a semi "six pack" how did you achieve that? I'm just looking for some tips..or should I stick to the usual crunches, sit-ups..etc.,

Replies

• Its all about cardio and diet. In all honesty you can do 1000 crunches a day but if you have flab over the abs you wont ever see them. Running is great for losing belly flab. But you gotta eat right too!
  • The simple answer is fat. You have to remove the layer of fat that is over your abs. Everyone already has a 6 or 8 pack of abs, it's just covered in fat. Doing ab exercises don't make your abs magically pop out of the fat. Good nutrition and cardiovascular exercise help you lose fat, but unfortunately you can't choose where you lose fat unless you get liposuction. So just wait it out, let the weight come off where it wants, and then when you get lean enough (I'm talking really lean, very low bodyfat %), you'll see a nice set of abs.
  • mccorml
    mccorml Posts: 622 Member
    um planks 1 minute side planks 1 minute each side crunches 50 side crunches 50 each side and if you can hanging leg raises
  • tim_fitbuilt4life
    tim_fitbuilt4life Posts: 301 Member
    Keep doing cardio to lose the fat around your stomach. You can do crunches and tighten your stomach, but you muscles will merely be hidden behind the fat. Also, reduce the amount of fat in your daily diet.
  • mccorml
    oh and you gotta be about 10% body fat to show abs
  • mccorml
    i think it was 12 for women
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,046 Member
    So stick to mostly cardio right?
  • ZUMBA! Combine the fat loss with Zumba and you have it. A lot og gyms are offering the classes. I hate crunches and sit ups. I can see the results mostly ABs and arms. A great cardio workout that tones your abs.
  • FitnessTim
    FitnessTim Posts: 234 Member
    I have about 18% body fat and my abs are noticeable, but so is my slight roll of belly fat.

I have quite an extensive ab routine so the muscles are definitely there but even at 18% for me it is still "meh".

Hollywood, Fitness magazine and daytime soaps are all lying to us. Normal people don't have ripped abs regardless of how healthy or fit they are. Only through excessive calorie deprivation, dehydration and unnaturally low levels of body fat can a person get the ripped abs shown on magazine covers.

I still strive for that look but with the clear understanding that I'm doing it for vanity reasons only.
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    The simple answer is fat. You have to remove the layer of fat that is over your abs. Everyone already has a 6 or 8 pack of abs, it's just covered in fat. Doing ab exercises don't make your abs magically pop out of the fat. Good nutrition and cardiovascular exercise help you lose fat, but unfortunately you can't choose where you lose fat unless you get liposuction. So just wait it out, let the weight come off where it wants, and then when you get lean enough (I'm talking really lean, very low bodyfat %), you'll see a nice set of abs.

Agreed!
  • jogging is an excellent exercise because it let you lose weight
    evenly throughout your whole body. If you want to lose weight in
    specific areas, you should target them with exercises. If they are
    your problem areas, they will be very difficult to tone. You will have
    to work double on them. The best approach is this:
    1. Lower/control your daily calorie intake (control for normal
    weight, lower for overweight).
    2. Run/jog to lower your overall body fat percentage.
    3. Target your problem areas with exercises.
    an excellent exercise, you can do it in front of your TV: sit on a
    stool, and put your toes under something (piece of heavy furniture,
    for example). In your hands hold a little dumbbell. Please, make sure
    that it is not very heavy, start with one kilo, for example, or you
    will damage your back and spine! Slowly move the upper part of your
    body back, until it's parallel with the ground. Stop for a second and
    move it back to the sitting position. Repeat ten times. Every week add
    to the number of repetitions. You will see the results in a week,
    guaranteed! You will see or feel under the fat - if you have any - six
    pack and muscles. Dumbbells do wonders. Much better than these
    crunches - I came up to three hundreds and there was no results AT
    ALL. With the dumbbells you will see it in a week.
This discussion has been closed.