With daily exercise...

Options
... can you really lose eating 1900 calories?

Replies

• rrlwelter
    rrlwelter Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I know someone who can... of course, he's in his 20's and weighs over 300 pounds. So yeah, HE can do it. I'm 59 and weigh 140. If I ate 1900 calories, I'd have to do nothing BUT exercise to lose weight.

Totally depends on where you started and what you're doing.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • ravenmiss
    ravenmiss Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    As long as it leaves you with a deficit then yes.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you're doing. Are you doing strenuous exercise regularly, like 6-7 times a week? Then the answer is probably yes. If you're doing something less heart pumping 2-3 times a week then that's probably too many calories in a day.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I usually eat between 1900 and 2200 depending on my workouts and I am losing just under a pound a week, which is a rate I am quite comfortable with.
  • Happy_Niss
    Happy_Niss Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. Some can, some can't.
    It's something people on this site need to understand is everyone is different, no one loses the same.
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I'm losing on around 2200. So yes.
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I eat between 1700-1900 most days and seem to be losing...

I try to get 120 minutes of cardio in a day though so that helps. I'd rather work out and not be hungry all the time then try to go down to 1400-1500 and likely feel like a caged animal ready to kill for a burger.
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you're doing. Are you doing strenuous exercise regularly, like 6-7 times a week? Then the answer is probably yes. If you're doing something less heart pumping 2-3 times a week then that's probably too many calories in a day.

Isn't the daily recommended amount of calories for the average sized woman to maintain on 2000, and a male 2500?

Not sure how you come to the conclusion that eating 1900 daily calories, on top of exercise won't be enough to lose weight.
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I can lose eating 1900 calories a day even without exercise. I get to eat more if I do exercise. It all depends on your weight, height, age, and gender.
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I lose a boat load eating only 1900 a day. Even more if I exercising regularly at the same. I can even lose eating 2500 calories a day if I'm consistently training. In fact, over 2-1/2 years at this counting calories stuff and I still change it regularly depending on where I'm at and which direction I want to head in.

However, I am not you. You need to set your own goals based on your body and true activity levels. Best of luck to you!

P.S. If you need help defining your goals, you may want to start by searching the forums for "Your Guide to Sexy Pants" or something like that.
  • _EndGame_
    Options
    A simple way is find out what your BMR is. There is an app on here for it.

Another way is by working out your TDEE.

If you factor in your exercise, then your TDEE would most certainly be above 1900 calories a day.

If I didn't exercise - at all, and ate 1900 calories per day, I'd still lose weight.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options

Isn't the daily recommended amount of calories for the average sized woman to maintain on 2000, and a male 2500?

Not sure how you come to the conclusion that eating 1900 daily calories, on top of exercise won't be enough to lose weight.

What I'm saying is the more calories you burn the more calories you need to eat to keep the body properly fueled. So if you're burring 600 calories a day you'll need to take in more calories than someone who isn't burning that many. Hence, why I said it depends on what you are doing. I also don't like to give definite answers concerning weight loss because everyone is different which is why I used the word "probably."

And she isn't trying to maintain, she's trying to lose.
  • missylectro
    missylectro Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    To everyone who posted: I have calculated my TDEE based on a month of logging on here and it is around 2500... Thus I calculated that I need to eat around 1900 in order to lose... HOWEVER I find that hard to believe... You know the saying "eat less, exercise more"... This site suggests that I eat 1200, so that's a BIG difference
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    OP yes you can if you get your TDEE correct. Personally, I eat 2K on most days and have 1 to 2 days a week that I'll eat at maintenance ~2650.
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3, 290lbs and eat 1800 calories. I had been trying to do 1500 and plateaued as my body was all *middle finger* so I went back to the 1800s and have been slowly starting to lose again :).
  • _EndGame_
    Options

What I'm saying is the more calories you burn the more calories you need to eat to keep the body properly fueled. So if you're burring 600 calories a day you'll need to take in more calories than someone who isn't burning that many. Hence, why I said it depends on what you are doing. I also don't like to give definite answers concerning weight loss because everyone is different which is why I used the word "probably."

And she isn't trying to maintain, she's trying to lose.

Well, I don't know the OP's weight and height, but my point is I guess, if she is overweight by whatever amount of calories, then based on the average amount of calories an average sized woman needs to maintain, 1900, with or without exercise will leave her in a deficit.

My Mum, for example. She is 5'4, and 126lbs. she eats (roughly) between 1800 - 2000 calories daily, and she has maintained her weight for the last 3 years, and she is 61.

Sorry if I came across as snarky, that wasn't my intention. It's just a lot of people restrict themselves because of a lot of conflicting information out there. I like to try and simplify things.
  • _EndGame_
    Options
    I am 5'3, 290lbs and eat 1800 calories. I had been trying to do 1500 and plateaued as my body was all *middle finger* so I went back to the 1800s and have been slowly starting to lose again :).

Me too.

I started at 404lbs, at that weight, I could make drastic deficits and get away with it. Now, I'm 260lbs, and to get a 2lbs per week loss, I need to eat at around 1850 daily calories, sometimes I eat more, sometimes less, but weirdly enough, I tend to lose weight more consistently when I eat more? Go figure.

I do swim 5 times per week though, which I know holds onto water in order to repair the muscle. Again, I notice weight loss (scale weight loss) only seems to come down once I've had a couple of days off.

The more I eat and the less I exercise, the more I notice the scale number decrease.

The inches I lose are constant. It's a good incentive.
  • _EndGame_
    Options
    To everyone who posted: I have calculated my TDEE based on a month of logging on here and it is around 2500... Thus I calculated that I need to eat around 1900 in order to lose... HOWEVER I find that hard to believe... You know the saying "eat less, exercise more"... This site suggests that I eat 1200, so that's a BIG difference

1200 is an absolute minimum that MFP can suggest, it's a guideline, at best.

Personally, I wouldn't suggest it. That kind of limitation makes me miserable, because I'm constantly having to overthink what I can or can't eat.

If you're exercising, factor that in to your calories with your TDEE, you will notice a much more steady and sustainable weight loss.