Two weeks in...

Options
I've lost 6 lbs. Still have so far to go. But, I've started walking and I'm trying to do that everyday. Yesterday, I went 2 miles, today only a little over 1 mile at one time (I have a dog, so I have multiple walks). I stay within my calories. My job keeps me traveling for much of the year and that's what I'm most nervous about. Right now, I'm home for a month. That's why I'm starting this now, to get things going. I just don't know how to adjust to life on the road. Very nervous...

Replies

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome!

There's plenty you can do over the next month to make the transition easier.

You could make a list of common chain restaurants and all the acceptable choices from their menu, along with the calorie and macro counts. Put this list somewhere where you'll always have it with you, like on your phone.

You could research healthy snacks that you can take with you so that you can avoid temptation due to lack of availability.

You could take a look at what hotel chains normally offer gyms and whether there is an extra fee.

You could research online workout programs/videos that don't require equipment so that you can keep up with it in your hotel rooms.

You can make peace with the fact that you can eat whatever you want, as long as you keep the portions reasonable and within your calorie goal. This can be difficult to wrap your head around, but once you do, it will help alleviate cravings and urges to binge. It's so much easier to eat ONLY a small serving of cake if you know that you can have another small serving of cake tomorrow.

Good luck!
  • felicia8604
    felicia8604 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    If you are going to be staying in hotels most of them have a gym also. So that should help you keep up your 2 mile walks. Maybe even some weights or swim laps in a pool. Good luck!!
  • sugarlemonpie
    sugarlemonpie Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I second the hotel gyms!

Luckily a lot of places have nutrition facts available, especially if it's a major chain. If you are eating out a lot on the road, try to go to some place where you can order from the 'light' menu (usually say 600 calories or less or whatever). A lot of places are putting healthier choices on their menu, so that might be helpful to you. If you're eating out on your own, Panera lists their nutrition facts on their wall menu, Subway veggie subs are good, etc. If possible, try to log exactly what you'll get before you even go to the restaurant so you won't be tempted to get something else!

I hope that helps.
  • CarolinkaCjj
    CarolinkaCjj Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    All great advice. So many restaurants have their nutritional info on line, it is a lot easier (and even if you do not frequent chain restaurants, you can use them as a guide). Measure at the free breakfasts (I carry measuring spoons in my purse - better than nothing). Check out the hotel gyms. Leslie Sansone has on line walking videos that can be done in an office, hotel room - pretty much anywhere.
    Keep up the great progress! :flowerforyou:
  • moonbeams896
    moonbeams896 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! These are some great tips! I definitely plan on making use of the hotel gyms. It's the eating that I'm nervous about. But, I eat out a lot now and manage to stay within budget. Panera's is one of my favorite places!

This is the first time in my life that I can remember truly feeling motivated to lose the weight. There's no stopping now!
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Try getting a pedometer and track your steps daily. It could help you out if you can manage to get to a gym during traveling.
  • hoyagirl03
    hoyagirl03 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Whenever I'm traveling out of town, I usually try to see what restaurants are nearby and in the hotel and research their menus and see what they have. Like, Panera Bread has a "secret" menu--- things like that. A good rule of thumb, no matter where, is to get things grilled instead of fried; tons of veggies and make sure you're eating your fiber. And when if you have to go out for 'drinks' and you don't want to really drink but not feel 'left out', just quietly get some club soda with a twist of lime/lemon.

I usually take advantage of the gym hotels. I also bring resistance bands and if I have a laptop, I'll bring workout DVDs with me if I feel like the gym may be a little too small and/or everything's taken up in the gym when you want to work out. :)

You've got this! When there's a will, there's a way for sure!