How bad is subway?

Options

Replies

• AzaleaNicole38
    AzaleaNicole38 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Bump
    I gave up fast food and was looking into subway as an option when I'm out on the go
  • PippiNe
    PippiNe Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I find that eating a 6" turkey sub loaded with veggies way more filling that it's 350-400 calorie equivalent at McDonalds. Subway is my usual choice when I need to grab a quick meal on the go just for that reason.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    On one topic on here I saw someone saying that subway is just as bad as it mc donalds? Surely it can't be though..

First you have to define "good" and "bad". At either restaurant, you will find choices that fit easily within your day's targets, and ones that blow them away with a single meal. At McDonald's, I'm partial to their Deluxe Cheeseburger (no mayo, pickles, ketckup, or mustard) which has protein, fiber, calcium, and reasonable sodium. At Subway, I'm partial to their oven roasted chicken breast, with all the fresh fixings and none of the preserved ones, which is similarly reasonable.
  • meltedsno
    meltedsno Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    6" vegie on honey oat, no cheese, all the vegies, one pass of sweet onion, one pass of honey mustard = 230 calories about four times a month x 11 months = dropping 8 sizes (I choose not to use the scale to measure weightloss so cant tell you how many pounds I've lost). The workers at the local Subway don't even bother asking what I want anymore. They just know.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    As far as calories there are some pretty good choices @ Subway. Some McDonald's choices are better than others... Grilled Chick Sandwich for one is not horrible. The "bad" part is the fact that the meats are processed... The key is when you are on the road and must eat fast food, study the menu and find what is within the calorie budget. Naturally, whole foods are better but when you are out and about, you can find things that won't wreck your efforts.
  • ibleedunionblue
    ibleedunionblue Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Dont care what others think. I love my 6 inch veggie sub on wheat, no cheese, but load me up with spinach :)
  • ZarrX86
    ZarrX86 Posts: 38
    Options
    That's exactly what I get!!!

I find eating that sandwich is great compared to mcdonalds, but I agree with some that the sodium is still really high. I think its 900 something for that. But still if your on the run you can't help the sodium thing.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    like other's have said, it depends on what you get.
  • misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Depends how often you eat it, everything is "bad" for you if consumed excessively. I eat both but very rarely, (I had a Mcdonalds on Tuesday this week for the first time this year & I've been to subway twice this year so far).

If it is not a regular everyday thing then I wouldn't overthink it all that much trying to decide which establishment is "better" or "healthier" for you....just go to whichever you want most, order what your taste buds want & enjoy it.

If it makes you go over your calories for that day then you can always do some extra exercise or have a lighter few days that week to "make up for it" if that is your preference... or you can just move on since once in a while isn't going to derail you :smile: Obviously if you eat out a lot it is probably a good idea to give it more thought but if it is occasional I wouldn't stress over it.
  • MatthewsModernLife
    Options
    Some of the subs are high in calories if you don't pay attention... especially some of the sauces.

But if I've only had around 500 calories throughout the day... a 900+ calorie sub for dinner isn't going to kill me.
  • rustyguy
    rustyguy Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I like a 6" flatbread with double turkey and all the vegetables I can squeeze on. Eat that with baked lays and it's under 600 calories.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    There are no good and bad foods... they're all just foods. If you want to eat them, make them fit into your day.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    If it fits into your day, then it's not "bad" for you.

Personally, I usually get a double chicken salad with ALL of the veggies and sweet onion dressing on the side. YUM-o.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,659 Member
    Options
    On one topic on here I saw someone saying that subway is just as bad as it mc donalds?
    Surely it can't be though because if you compare meat bread and salads to deep fried chips and greasy burgers surely subway would be better?

For me, both are stack high with sodium
    Which unless one has an issue with high BP or hypertension, isn't really an issue.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you get at either place. You can get a 1,000+ calorie meal at Subway and you can get somethng sub 500 at McDonald's. You need to make sure you're making the right choices rather than relying on the virtuous reputation of a restaurant's food.
  • stevee290
    stevee290 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    For me fast food is like the anti food it actually makes me hungrier so I avoid it. If it fits into your calorie goals it shouldn't really hinder weight loss.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    It's alot easier for me to eat healthier at McDonalds then Subway.
    I would also be willing to bet that more people lose weight eating McDonald's then they do eating Subway.

Agreed! I can get a small sandwich, a salad with basalmic vinaigrette, and a medium diet Coke for $3.00--and it totals around 400 calories and 600 or so sodium. It costs a lot more for Subway to begin with, and even if I can get comparable calories with a six-inch sub, it won't be as filling and the sodium is closer to 1000 grams.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    I would also be willing to bet that more people lose weight eating McDonald's then they do eating Subway.

Agreed! I can get a small sandwich, a salad with basalmic vinaigrette, and a medium diet Coke for $3.00--and it totals around 400 calories and 600 or so sodium. It costs a lot more for Subway to begin with, and even if I can get comparable calories with a six-inch sub, it won't be as filling and the sodium is closer to 1000 grams.

You sure about that bud?
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you get.

A turkey sub with veggies with mustard is decent, but yeah a meatball sub or tuna probably have over 1000 cals for a footlong
    True - but those 1000 cals are way more filling (I feel anyway) than fries and a flat burger. It's been a while since I've eaten a meatball sub but I remember being just stuffed for hours after.
    What she said.

The meatball sub is a surprisingly good choice. I'm planning to have one for lunch and it's 1040 calories and 48g of protein. All the fat and fiber keep me full for hours. The sodium isn't even that bad.

I think my favourite at the moment is ham and cheese with pepperoni, but that one is a sodium-fest.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options

You sure about that bud?

After spending a while on MFP comparing portions and calories and sodium and, after eating at McDonald's and eating at Subway and comparing my receipts and my fullness . . . yep.

Edited to add:

I am not claiming that McDonald's food is "healthier" by any stretch of the imagination. No fast food, in my opinion, is truly "healthy" food. However, it's "easier" for me to afford choosing from the dollar menu, which has surprisingly good choices and it's "easier" for me to choose McD's in terms of convenience (drive-thru). Ultimately, Subway might have the "healthier" choices in terms of fat (I don't worry about tracking fat too much, as opposed to sodium), but the carbs and sodium in a Subway sub are generally much higher than in the small McDonald's sandwiches (I personally like the grilled onion cheddar burger) and I do need to track carbs and sodium. Ultimately, it's about making the "healthier" and "easier" choice for yourself--and I was speaking for myself.