Pushup - normal vs inclined

Options
beabria
beabria Posts: 541 Member
I'm working on improving my upper body strength and am including pushups in my routine (along with assisted pullups, bench press, and push press). But, I can't do very many. I can do 3 sets of 3 reps of regular pushups or 3 sets of 7 reps with my hands on a low bench, at a 30 degree incline. Does it matter which I do in terms of continuing to build strength? Or is one type better or worse for my joints?

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I would use the low bench and keep trying to work my way lower. Or perhaps do my first set or two on flat ground and then the last set or two on the incline after I was fatigued. Either way, as long as you're persistent , you'll improve.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    OP if you want to get good at pushups, a great program to try is called 100 pushups. You can start the program at any level including if you can only do 1 pushup at the beginning. The program will progress you though, fairly reasonably. You might never get to '100' but you'll definitely improve a lot. I've done it before and it was pretty effective and it is something you may be able to do in addition to whatever your normal workout is (that's what i did). http://hundredpushups.com/
  • beabria
    Options
    Thanks for the thoughts. Interesting site - the idea of doing 100 pushups just seems crazy right now, but I'd be ridiculously happy with 20 consecutive ones!
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I did the 100 push-ups programme starting from only being able to do 5 and it took me way longer than the 6 weeks on the schedule, but I did get there (and can still do them). I definitely recommend it!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Start with an incline, move to regular pushups with your knees on the ground (the "girlie" ones), then move to regular pushups. Check here: http://scoobysworkshop.com/zero-to-100-pushups-for-complete-beginners/
    he has a good plan, even if your goal is not the hundreds of pushups at the end.
  • rsoice
    rsoice Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Do the reps you currently can (regular push-ups) until you're too fatigued to execute another push-up using proper form/technique, then drop to your knees and repeat push-ups until once again too fatigued to execute. Repeat two to three sets. Also vary your arm locations as they work different muscles. Wide arm, standard and hands together forming a diamond. You will see progress. We've been doing it that way in the Army for years.
    Another option is rather than shooting for a number, shoot for time. Number of correct push-ups in 30 seconds, 1 minute, 2 minutes. When you're working against time and you can't push anymore but time remains, stay in the push-up "position" (we call it the front leaning rest position) for the remainder of the time.
    One last tip, don't look down, it's bad for your form.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I would use the low bench and keep trying to work my way lower. Or perhaps do my first set or two on flat ground and then the last set or two on the incline after I was fatigued. Either way, as long as you're persistent , you'll improve.

this. very much this.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    OP, just keep it up. Incline are a great start. I like DavPul's advice a lot. Do one set regular and 2 incline.

As for what you will be able to do, you'll be amazed.
  • beabria
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I'm not really a fan of knee push-ups. My build (short femurs and excess weight mostly in the lower body) make them not challenging for me. But, I'll keep up with the incline and throw in regular ones until I can do them all (100 maybe?!?) as regular pushups.
    *edited for spelling*