Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

People DON'T drink enough water

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Why are people talking about being thirsty and hydration?! This post in nothing to do with being hydrated or drinking when you're thirsty. It's about not retaining water. Which is what you will do if you do not drink more water than you need.

Why is retaining water such a bad thing? Sure, it may make the number on the scale a little higher, but it doesn't help you lose fat. Ultimately, "weight loss" is a misnomer. We don't really want to lose weight, we want to lose fat. That is the goal. Weight is just a way of measuring fat loss (and an inaccurate one too, because it fluctuates based on a million different factors, including water retention).

Retaining water makes you look fatter, we don't want to look fatter.

psh it makes the muscles look bigger which is what a lot of us want...I mean come on...
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    I love some dodgy science in the morning
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    It's only obvious if you know the facts! There's hundred of people that could be dropping weight if they drank more. This is for them. Thank me later!

Water and caffeine... water and caffeine... bye bye retained water... then a carb re-feed with slightly less water intake.... hello glycogen going into my muscles... hello sub-cutaneous water being dragged in with the glycogen... hello bigger muscles... hello better looking body :-)

Great, have you got any studies you can post to support this. Plus I take it this only applies to people eating a diet high in carbs? I eat low carb high fat, will this apply to me?

There's loads out there. Google things such as 're-feed' 'carb re-feed' Check out bodyrecomposition website. Stuff by Lyle McDonald and Layne Norton. Lots and lots of stuff on water retention and the re-feed.

If you're low carb, now and again you should raise your carb intake! Has all sorts of benefits. Again, google re-feed and leptin levels etc

Lol - sounds like you google enough for all of us!
  • rodduz
    rodduz Posts: 251 Member
    It's only obvious if you know the facts! There's hundred of people that could be dropping weight if they drank more. This is for them. Thank me later!

Water and caffeine... water and caffeine... bye bye retained water... then a carb re-feed with slightly less water intake.... hello glycogen going into my muscles... hello sub-cutaneous water being dragged in with the glycogen... hello bigger muscles... hello better looking body :-)

Great, have you got any studies you can post to support this. Plus I take it this only applies to people eating a diet high in carbs? I eat low carb high fat, will this apply to me?

There's loads out there. Google things such as 're-feed' 'carb re-feed' Check out bodyrecomposition website. Stuff by Lyle McDonald and Layne Norton. Lots and lots of stuff on water retention and the re-feed.

If you're low carb, now and again you should raise your carb intake! Has all sorts of benefits. Again, google re-feed and leptin levels etc

Here you go:

http://www.simplyshredded.com/layne-norton-the-most-effective-cutting-diet.html
  • alishaq14
    alishaq14 Posts: 16
    That's why I love working out, because now it makes me want to drink tons of water! Before I wasn't drinking that much, but now its practically all I drink
  • rodduz
    Why are people talking about being thirsty and hydration?! This post in nothing to do with being hydrated or drinking when you're thirsty. It's about not retaining water. Which is what you will do if you do not drink more water than you need.

Why is retaining water such a bad thing? Sure, it may make the number on the scale a little higher, but it doesn't help you lose fat. Ultimately, "weight loss" is a misnomer. We don't really want to lose weight, we want to lose fat. That is the goal. Weight is just a way of measuring fat loss (and an inaccurate one too, because it fluctuates based on a million different factors, including water retention).

psh it makes the muscles look bigger which is what a lot of us want...I mean come on...

Maybe this is aimed more at the lean people. When you're pretty lean, it's the water between your skin that's making you still look a little fat. Re-feeds will drawer that water into the muscles. But in order to set the re-feed up properly you need your body to be in full on flush everything that comes in to the body out mode. This is done by drinking loads. The science is out there, I didn't make it up. Comes from some of the best in the business.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member

Here you go:

http://www.simplyshredded.com/layne-norton-the-most-effective-cutting-diet.html

Thanks but this is a blog (as in someone's opinion/interpretation) - I was after a study.

Also layne Norton certainly is well versed in nutrition, but his take is based on coming at it from a body building point of view - most on MFP are not looking to get ripped/fit they are looking to get healthy (with elite sports people there can be a big difference between fitness and health).
  • rodduz
    Very true. I'm more interested in the bodybuilding perspective.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member

Maybe this is aimed more at the lean people. When you're pretty lean, it's the water between your skin that's making you still look a little fat. Re-feeds will drawer that water into the muscles. But in order to set the re-feed up properly you need your body to be in full on flush everything that comes in to the body out mode. This is done by drinking loads. The science is out there, I didn't make it up. Comes from some of the best in the business.

what the post in general? or that retaining water makes you look fatter?

If post in general then I suspect they don't need to worry about "losing weight"

If it's water retention makes you look fatter I am sure they just don't care...

Water weight is inconsequential in the long run...it comes and goes and as long as you stay hydrated that's what is important and you just need fluids for that...

This post has gone from drink water you lose weight faster to water retention makes lean people look fatter to bodybuilding (all from the OP)..let's pick a topic and stick to it...

Water (fluid in general) is a good thing, drink it to prevent thrist which can be mistaken for hunger sometimes...it keeps you from snacking (for some) and it helps prevent water retention which can mask weight loss but at the same time don't go all ape **** about it...peeing clear is not a good thing...
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member

Body shaming? People want to reach a stage where they are healthy and happy with the way they look
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    I did some research on water myself.

It turns out that water has feelings. It knows if you're being mean or nice.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2014/06/05/gwyneth-paltrow-mean-words-hurts-water-feelings/?intcmp=features

I'll bet it's reading this thread right now, and you're scaring it with all the drinking water talk.

I learn something fascinating every day on this internet thingy.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    I love some dodgy science in the morning
    Wait for tomorrow's thread - "How to regulate your breathing because my brain doesn't do it for me automatically."
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2014/06/05/gwyneth-paltrow-mean-words-hurts-water-feelings/?intcmp=features

I'll bet it's reading this thread right now, and you're scaring it with all the drinking water talk.

Seems Sgt Oddball was really on to something in Kelly's Hero's! Obviously way ahead of his time :happy:
  • 1sgs
    1sgs Posts: 45 Member
    A good habit that I have developed is to drink a 20 0z glass of H20 upon rising for the day.
  • kk_140
    kk_140 Posts: 518 Member
    About 180 ounces a day
  • StarPlatinumORA
    StarPlatinumORA Posts: 21 Member
    I take lithium, so I GOTTA drink loads. It's kind of a pain sometimes, but luckily I like drinking water. On average I have 3-4 pint glasses of water at work during the day, then just whatever I can have at home from a litre bottle.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Very true. I'm more interested in the bodybuilding perspective.

Your opening post did not indicate that. It only stated that...drink water...lose weight.

I have always drank a LOT of water and yet my weight still climbed to 246lbs. Drinking water alone...even gallons of it...will not prevent weight gain nor result in weight loss...which IMO is what your initial post indicated. Many people lose weight without drinking an excessive amount of water.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member

Seems Sgt Oddball was really on to something in Kelly's Hero's! Obviously way ahead of his time :happy:

Was it Mortimer or Morty 'with the negative vibes?' I remember Sutherland and the Captain from the Love Boat, but the name. . .ugh. Anyone remember? And please, a google search would just be too easy.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,010 Member
    Get it down you people, you'll drop plenty more weight by drinking lots... I promise you!

Amount of water consumed has very little effect on fat loss (none for most people staying hydrated through foods etc). I'm not sure I understand the point of your post and I don't have time to read through the whole thread for follow up posts.
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Get it down you people, you'll drop plenty more weight by drinking lots... I promise you!
    And your pants more.