As you get older, do you find yourself...

Options

Replies

• juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    No. I married the love of my life when I turned 50. We saved up enough money to build our dream vacation home this year. I started running two years ago at age 53. I ran half marathon distance Sunday, and reached my weight loss goal today. And this is just the beginning......

I just :heart: this!
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    No, but I find my priorities changing. It may look like settling to other people, but I'm finding my priorities are lining up with what I actually enjoy rather than what other people think I should enjoy. I work a job that probably sounds boring but I like the people and like the flexibility. If I quit, it will be to spend more time with kids, instead of pursuing a career. It turns out I actually like my kids! I "sit at home" on weekends because that's the most relaxing and enjoyable thing I could possibly do... I've really cut down on the jam packed schedule and I love it.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Geez..... I guess I'm doing alright. Chin up!
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    No! :flowerforyou:
  • shutyourpieholeandsquat
    shutyourpieholeandsquat Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Opposite. I settled at 28 in my relationship because I thought I was supposed to "get married and have kids". Now that I don't have that weight on me I feel like I can do whatever I want and there's no ticking clock above me.
  • ronbo62098
    ronbo62098 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Actually, I find myself doing the complete opposite..I find myself more motivated to keep getting better in all areas of my life. =)
    ^^^ This.

Relationship: planning a(nother) romantic getaway for our 16th anniversary this month.
    Job: as my boss says, I don't want you to think of it as your "next" job, but as your "last" job. I will work here until I don't work anymore.
    Weight: down over a dozen pounds, got a couple dozen more to lose - not stopping at this point
  • jalrashdi
    jalrashdi Posts: 34
    Options
    I think it is the complete opposite for me. I have recently took a risk to get a new job that is challenging to me. I am finally trying to lose weight for myself and no one else. As for relationships, I value true ones-family and friends. As for a love relationship havent found the right guy yet :-)

So no I dont think I am settling. Its harder as you get older cause you are scared of risks (because you have to take care of kids, etc). But I find myself more like I was in my early 20's more willing to take a risk. I will be 40 in a few weeks. In my 30's I think I settled more.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I guess like others have said my priorities change. Yes I am 10 lbs heavier than I use to be. WW had me at 145, my goal is 155 I dont have to be perfect like I thought when I was young. I can eat more and think older women look better a little heavier. I am 60.
    Also my first marriage was all about superficial stuff, looks, etc. I learned it was all about him. My second marriage he is ok looking and very good to me. My job is much more simple, but I am glad I had a good job when I was young when I had a mortgage, raising children, etc. Now not so much about money but wanted out of stress and had my bills paid so why not enjoy a job with less money that I enjoy and have good hours.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    No. I've certainly made a major change in work/family/me time balance, but that is far from settling. My relationship has never been better, and I'm far better at cordoning off time with the wife and kiddos.
  • grillnchill
    grillnchill Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Actually, I find myself doing the complete opposite..I find myself more motivated to keep getting better in all areas of my life. =)

^ definitely this
  • epigirrl
    epigirrl Posts: 54 Member
    Options

this ^^

This is me, too.

Just turned 50 last month. I am now healthier, happier, fitter, less risk averse, and have more clarity on what matters to me. Was single by choice for over a decade...now in a great relationship with someone I have known for years. Had a good, well-paying job...that I just left last week...because the possibility of creating my dream job is right in front of me. Exceeded my wildest dreams in terms of weight loss/fitness...and all of the amazing unintended consequences that came with that. But, I am definitely still a work in progress.

Can't imagine ever settling again...
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Opposite. I settled at 28 in my relationship because I thought I was supposed to "get married and have kids". Now that I don't have that weight on me I feel like I can do whatever I want and there's no ticking clock above me.
    \\

My kids are gone and I no longer stress about having to provide for anyone or having to look after anyone but myself. I'm not hard on myself and am more accepting of others.

I'm happy with where I am in my life!

I live on my own and have a great circle of friends and a wonderful girlfriend who I love spending time with. I have my health and the money I need, I'm a happy guy.
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Up to age 34-35 yes.

Since then, it's been completely the opposite. I'm 37 and the last two and a half years have been a whirlwind for me of rearranging and renovating everything in my life, no longer settling, and enjoying life so much more. I have totally different priorities in all areas.

This - Life is way too short to settle. LIVE IT UP :)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Deena_Bean/view/100-days-a-subjective-beginning-and-the-big-year-666179
  • BaldheadSlick
    BaldheadSlick Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    No, I won't say that I'm settling. I just don't sweat the stuff that I thought mattered oh so much "back-in-the-day".

For everything else, I've realized even more how much power I have to create change.
  • andeey
    andeey Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    No way! If anything, I'm far more selective and "prune" the sh*te out of my life. I am at the best spot I've been in as far as family, job and friends are concerned because I pick and choose very carefully and have no hesitation to say "adios" to anything that doesn't enhance my life.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    No. I'm not settling. I did that before.
    I got out of that.

And I won't do it again.

If you find yourself settling, rethink it.

LIfe is too short for "meh"
  • cindyj7
    cindyj7 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Settling? And not settling for pure crap, but for mediocrity? Are you settling for a sufficient relationship that's alright, instead of looking for a great one that gives you what you want?
    Yes.
    Are you settling for a certain size/weight, and not worrying about the last 10 pounds you'd like to lose?
    No.
    Are you settling for a job that's ok and pays decent, instead of going for one you're passionate about?
    All the jobs I am passionate about do not pay enough to allow me to eat and maintain shelter.

This is me, exactly.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Nope. I'm much more particular about everything in my life. I don't settle on relationships, work, the way I spend money, the restaurants I'm willing to go to, and even the movies or tv I'll watch. Anything worth doing should be done right. It actually makes my life easier and happier.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Only with my job, but to find a job I was more passionate about I'd have to move and/or travel a lot which would interfere with my family life which is more important right now. I'm very happy in my marriage, with my family, working on getting happier with my body (although I'm pretty good with it now), and my fitness, working to constantly improve be better, etc.