HIIT on machine

Options
funfang
funfang Posts: 200 Member
Hi,

After reading some articles about doing HIIT on stationary bike and elliptical machines, I started to try that about 3 days ago. I don't see more calories burned ( according to the machine) is that because I was so tired after the work out, my 10 minutes cool down is a lot slower? I do notice that I sweat A LOT more and I was super hungry after the work out. Did I not do it right?

So I warm up for 5 minutes, did 30 seconds action and 90 seconds break. then 10 minutes steady speed as cool down.

My stationary bike is old and I couldn't adjust the resistance, so I would paddle as fast as I can ( speed 14 according to the machine) for 30 seconds, rest for 90 seconds with 9 or 10 speed, repeat 10 times.

I also tried to do that in the gym with elliptical machines. I kept the slop at 8, resistance at 13 for 30 seconds, then resistance at 3 for 90 seconds, again, repeated10 times.

anyone does HIIT on machines can give me some suggestions/advice? will be much appreciated! Thank you for reading and have a good weekend!

61180394.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    When you say you rested, did you stop completely?
    You are supposed to keep going but at a much lower intensity.
  • funfang
    funfang Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I do 30 seconds high intensity (slop 8, resistance 13 on elliptical machine, as fast as I can on stationary bike speed 14) then 1 minute and half low intensity ( slop 8, resistance 3 on elliptical machine, slow down in stationary bike speed 9 or 10) I do it 10 times, then steady speed ( slop 8 resistance 3 on elliptical machine, stationary bike speed 9 or 10) for about 10 minutes.
  • WTramontana
    WTramontana Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't go by any machine that you have to grab onto a sensor for it to read your HR. I do HIIT, and have been losing fat with it. I use a H7 Polar Bluetooth Heartrate Monitor. They're $53 at Bestbuy right now...with that I pair it to my phone and use an 'free' app called iCardio that cost me a one time cost of like $3 to 'enable sensors' so it'd pair with the HRM... It shows me an ongoing graph of my HR throughout my entire workout. That's how you KNOW you're doing it right (to answer your question).

Here, the link below is one of my workout's that was reported to iCardio. You'll see in the beginning that my heart was going high/low/high/low while I was doing HIIT (my intervals are spread out further, I'm out of shape and need the longer recovery) ... About half way there is a long low point where my HR stayed in recovery- I was switching to a different machine that I'd never tried before- but everything after that clearly is not HIIT. It's me getting my butt handed to me :D

http://my.digifit.com/site/share/workout/d6b1a28cfe8c11e39c06399bb1669cbf.html