Moderation

Options
punkypump
punkypump Posts: 30 Member
Seriously in need of some help.
Looking for tips on how to moderate my intake.

I can eat healthy for weeks straight, not touching any unhealthy foods, will power of an ox (not to toot my own horn but I do very well).

BUT when I do feel like I should allow myself to induldge in "regular" foods that typical non-dieters eat, I go nuts. It's like, I can't just have one donut, I have to have like 4. Or, I can't just have one unhealthy cheat meal, I keep eating unhealthy till my stomach pains.

I guess what I'm saying is I'm very an all or nothing person.... and I would really appreciate anyone's tips on how to stop myself from bindging out. I just want to be able to have the occasional unhealthy thing without going nuts.

Replies

• Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same problem. I feel ya.

What I do is I don't keep ANY of those tempting binge foods in my kitchen. When I want to treat myself or indulge, which is something I need to do to stick with this, I'll go buy a SMALL amount of it. Like if I'm wanting chocolate, rather than buying a whole tub of ice cream and scarfing it down, I'll buy a small chocolate bar. Same with chips, I'll buy a small bag of chips too.

Also I make sure to LOG everything I eat... if I binge, the numbers on the log will shock and shame me right back into better habits.

They had donuts at my office today, and I managed to take only one, whereas three weeks ago I would have had 4.
  • bah_bug
    bah_bug Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Some people are moderators - people who can do things in moderation, and maintain control of the behavior without undue stress. Some are abstainers - people for whom it's simply easier to totally avoid something; it doesn't make them overly unhappy, and doesn't stress them out..

It sounds like you're an abstainer. That's okay, there's nothing wrong with that. There's nothing that says you have to allow yourself 'an indulgence,' especially if it will only make you unhappy and stressed out.
  • Lonestar5775
    Lonestar5775 Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    One important part is that you recognize the tendency in yourself. Until you are aware, you can't do anything about. That's a big first step!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same problem. I feel ya.

What I do is I don't keep ANY of those tempting binge foods in my kitchen. When I want to treat myself or indulge, which is something I need to do to stick with this, I'll go buy a SMALL amount of it. Like if I'm wanting chocolate, rather than buying a whole tub of ice cream and scarfing it down, I'll buy a small chocolate bar. Same with chips, I'll buy a small bag of chips too.

Also I make sure to LOG everything I eat... if I binge, the numbers on the log will shock and shame me right back into better habits.

They had donuts at my office today, and I managed to take only one, whereas three weeks ago I would have had 4.

This sounds like good advice. ^^

Also, maybe not going so long between treats might help. Perhaps your subconscious is wanting to eat all the donuts because it's going to be so long before it gets another one.

Also, if there are some treats that you binge on more than others (often referred to as "trigger foods") try keeping treats that are not triggers in the house.
  • Sedna_51
    Sedna_51 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Like many others here, I have some foods that I just don't keep in the house anymore- the effort of not eating them is too much for me to handle (I am looking at you, potato chips). When I do decide to treat myself to them, I go out and buy a single serving. That might be a viable option for you.

I also really agree with what btente is saying above- moderation is much more difficult than abstinence! It's perfectly OK to decide that there are some foods you just can't allow yourself to have for now. Once you've spent some time practicing good habits and learning yourself, then you might feel more ready to try those foods again without being as afraid you'll lose control.

Best of luck!
  • mrsminiver1
    mrsminiver1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I absolutely agree with you Steve