Bit confused - help please anyone?!

Options
Hey, so I'm new here and to the mobile app and I was wandering if any of you will be willing to help :D?! I'm basically going out for a meal tonight with my family and I will have no idea the weight or calorie intake? so will any of you be able to give me some advice on how I put this onto my diary?! anything will help as I'm worried I may go over my allowance! not only in calories but carbs and fat!

Thanks for your comments in advance! xox

Replies

• serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    Depending on where you are going, you may be able to look up the nutritional value on the restaurant's website. If not, guesstimate as well as you can and relax. It's one meal. It isn't going to make or break you.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Is it a chain restaurant?
    They often have their menu available online and it is also often in the database.

If it is not, I look for the dish in the database if it is a common one and choose the higher calorie ones.
    Or I try to find dishes I know have similar ingredients. Or do a breakdown of the ingredients you can identify, particularly the higher calorie ones.
    You won't get exact but one day of inexact won't kill you.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    checking the website is a good idea. here in california, they list the calories on the menus, which is very helpful. you may search your meal here on myfitnesspal as they have an extensive database of foods including restaurant foods. also you may be able to order stuff you can figure out - a slice of wheat bread or a dinner roll you can compare to similar store-bought versions. a baked potato, plus you can approximate what's in it. you get the idea. have a nice dinner :)
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Assuming there is no nutritional information provided by the restaurant, there are some things I think you can do to make estimating the calories easier.

-Order something simple with as few ingredients as possible.
    -Avoid sauces; you have no idea what went into them.
    -order dressings on the side. At least then you can eyeball how much you're putting in.

Alternatively, just get what sounds good, don't go overboard, and don't make it a habit.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Just assume a 1300 calorie meal.
  • dh313
    dh313 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I find that when I type in most dishes I order at a restaurant I can find something similar. For example if I order buffalo chicken dip it pops up with a bunch of options. I type in "buffalo chicken dip restaurant style". Works with most things on the menu's. Hope that helps