What is the difference between "heavier" and "denser"?

Options
2»

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    This is the "is muscle heavier than fat" question. People keep saying it's not heavier; it's denser. When I ask for an explanation, I get told that a pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle.

Well, no ****, Sherlock. A pound of concrete weighs the same as a pound of feathers, too. But if you fill a 6-cubic-inch box with concrete, and another with feathers, the box of concrete will be heavier -- because it's denser. Right? It seems to me that people are trying to say that if you have two bodies with the same measurements, the one that is composed more of muscle would be heavier than the one composed of more fat, because muscle is denser and therefore the same *volume* of muscle is heavier.

Right? Or am I totally confused here??

like_im_five.png

This is an ongoing debate that will never get resolved. It's like the old woman/young woman optical illusion. There are two right answers. Engage in the debate if it amuses you, or stay on the sidelines if you get tired. Find an :eyerolling: or :sigh: gif if you get jaded.

Its up to you. Just remember, you'll only get the energy out of this debate that you put into it.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Weight= mass x gravity

Density= mass/volume

In space weight changes because there's less gravity. But density won't.

Moral of the story: if you want to weigh less, get weighed in on the International Space Station.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

^^^Makes more sense than a VLCD.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Some people think that if a person has a low weight it must mean they have more fat because "muscle is heavy". But body composition can be more muscle, less fat, no matter what the person weighs. Weight is also influenced by bone structure. A person with a bigger bone structure has more space for muscle, fat, and bigger internal organs, etc.

And actually bone structure influences size also (I should have said that in my first comment). Of course if someone has a 40 inch rib cage they will measure differently than someone with a 26 inch rib cage.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    Weight: ("Heavier") The force experienced by an object due to gravity.
    Density: Mass per volume. Lead is dense, Styrofoam is not.

Heavier = Mahjunk
    "Denser"= Yohed
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    When people say "muscle weights more than fat" they usually imply (and forget to specify) "if the volume is kept constant".

So yes, if you have 2 bodies of the exact same volume, one made of pure fat will weight less than one made of pure muscle.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the whole debate isn't even truly relevant in terms of weight loss because the human body is made up of more than just muscle and fat.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the whole debate isn't even truly relevant in terms of weight loss because the human body is made up of more than just muscle and fat.

True, but a lb of bone weighs the same as a lb internal organs!
  • michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    So, basically, people are playing semantics games and being *kitten*. Thank goodness, I thought I had suddenly forgotten how to science.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    So, basically, people are playing semantics games and being *kitten*. Thank goodness, I thought I had suddenly forgotten how to science.

BUT MY SEMANTICS ARE MORE ACCURATE THAN YOUR SEMANTICS.

AND I'M NOT BEING AN *kitten*. PEOPLE ARE BEING *WRONG* ON THE INTERNET.

!!!!!!11!!!e!even!!!1
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

it's less about playing games and knowing how to use words properly.

I find it annoying because to me even if you know- the consistent lack of details is frustrating. Does it impact me? not so much personally so I don't make a big fuss about it- but well- as an engineer- using proper terminology is important to me. We *can* be fussy like that. (I do not speak for all nerd/science/engineers)

but it makes it really hard to explain water weight and poor calorie deficit to someone who says they gained muscle after 2 weeks of lifting when the choir is shouting- but muscle weighs more than fat!!!
  • likitisplit
    Options

I find it annoying because to me even if you know- the consistent lack of details is frustrating. Does it impact me? not so much personally so I don't make a big fuss about it- but well- as an engineer- using proper terminology is important to me. We *can* be fussy like that. (I do not speak for all nerd/science/engineers)

but it makes it really hard to explain water weight and poor calorie deficit to someone who says they gained muscle after 2 weeks of lifting when the choir is shouting- but muscle weighs more than fat!!!

Are you saying that the 5 pounds I gained after my nacho debacle on Wednesday isn't pure, lean muscle?

ETA: WHY CAN'T YOU BE MORE SUPPORTIVE?

EETA: MEANIE!
  • pearlmullet
    pearlmullet Posts: 81 Member
    Options

Does somebody have a Kool-Aid man gif that says "Not all Engineers!" Cuz that would be good right now.
  • likitisplit
    Options

Does somebody have a Kool-Aid man gif that says "Not all Engineers!" Cuz that would be good right now.

It would be. However, I'd like somebody to submit an example of an engineer not being fussy like that first.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Are you saying that the 5 pounds I gained after my nacho debacle on Wednesday isn't pure, lean muscle?

ETA: WHY CAN'T YOU BE MORE SUPPORTIVE?

EETA: MEANIE!

I ate half those nachos- I thought I WAS being supportive.
    It would be. However, I'd like somebody to submit an example of an engineer not being fussy like that first.
    BAW ha ha hah

to be fair- I specified that I did not speak for ALL engineers.

but we should have a kool aid gif regardless.

(damn- should have said irregardless- seems to tie in well to this thread)
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

Well, I'm not technically an engineer as I did not take my EIT (Engineer in Training) test, and therefore did not take the PE (Professional Engineers) test but my bachelor's degree DOES say "engineering" and I'm okay with "Muscle weighs more than fat" without further detail.

However, no. That does not apply to gaining water weight in 2 weeks of working out.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Read this:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/AglaeaC/view/density-mass-and-volume-of-muscle-and-adipose-tissues-658320

Since we are so scientific here and all, I do think the consensus should be that chemistry is not the same as semantics. Chemistry is science. Let's respect that.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Can you say "dense?" I knew you could.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Star3d.gif

That will conclude our class today. See you next year in 4th grade. Have a good summer.