Things to look for in a gym?

Options
I've never really chosen a gym. The ones I have used previously have been chosen based solely on price. I'm considering a change because of location. I rarely actually go to the gym and I think making it easier to go by finding one closer to home would help. There are a few different ones not too far from me, and this time I'd like to choose based on more than just price. What would you look for in a gym?

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    lots of space, and the number of oly bars. every gym is going to have enough dumbbells, cardio machines and weight machines, but barballs are often lacking. price and location are also key too of course, but theres no sense on getting a membership at a gym thats next door if it doesnt have essential equipment, and an oly bar is key to most strength routines
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I want it to be clean.

I like a lot of natural light.

It's great if they have a pool.

I used a gym that had an indoor track with special spongy flooring that was so nice!

As a woman I want to feel safe coming and going.

For lifting I like to use free weights so I like to see a lot of benches and a few sets of the same weights.

If you have kids the children's facility is somewhere to check out.

But no matter how close the gym is, if you aren't going to go you're wasting your money.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    It depends solely on your workout style & goals.
    What is it that you do as far as working out?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    purely depends on goals and life style.

1.) location- mine had to be reasonably located between work and my dance studio and my home
    2.) price- I didn't want to pay more than 40$ a month
    3.) facilities- required squat racks, power cage- no NO DEADLIFTING rules- aerobics room that was free to use when official classes were not in session
    4.) hours of operation

to me these things are a must.

To you- you might not care.

You might NEED a pool- or a jacuzzi- or a spa- or tanning saloon- or only pay 15% a month.

what are your goals currently
    potential future goals? (Like I"m planning on running this summer- my house and my gym are in crappy locations to leave to go running from- if you like to life and then go running straight from the gym that might be a deal breaker for you)

Make a list of things you think will help you achieve those goals- and get trial week long passes to the gym- go when you think you'll go regular- right after work? early morning? mid day?

Go at THOSE times.

Go at other times too- but go at your regular times. Checking out a gym sunday afternoon gives you a comletely different picture than Monday at 530 PM.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I'll second that.

I left my last gym and started Crossfit specifically because the place had two squat racks and at least one of them was constantly used by bros to do their shoulder shrugs. Apparently because they could shoulder shrug more than they could deadlift, hence they could not do them from the floor.

A place where making a bit of noise (doing deadlifts, occasionally missing a heavy rep and having to use the squat racks for their intended purpose, etc) is not an issue. A place where folks will take a second to spot you when you ask and leave you alone if you don't.

If you intend to lift weights at all, those things are a must.

If you just want to do some cardio you have a lot more flexibilty.

I'd also make sure you ask about how easy/hard it is to quit if you choose to do so. At some places it's pretty painless. At others, it's like a root canal.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you want to do at the gym, e.g. free weights, specific classes? Also hours and check also how crowded the place is when you usually will work out - waiting for 20 minutes to use a bench is not fun.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I didn't see it, reading across previous posts, but it is important to check, if the gym equipment is in good repair (no torn benches, no crooked bars, no broken cables...how many machines are currently out of order, and for how long..who is responsible for maintenance, and where to direct concerns or complains....). Are there First Aid stations, and who is available and trained/certified as lay responder.... My previous gym was in a metal building, so it is also important to ask for available phones/land lines for emergencies..
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Price

Amount of equipment (although I have a gym right down the street, it only has 1 piece of cardio equipment and 1 set of free weights)

No stupid rules (lunk alarm!)

lots of fitness classes offered (I go to drop in yoga most often)

a pool, sauna, hot tub

basically I go to a leisure center, I've tried private gyms and didn't find the same quality as a city run facility.
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    When I picked my current gym, here's what I considered:

1. Location location location. It's right off the train line on my way to and from work. To go, all I have to do is get off the train on my way home from work, walk a block and voila I'm there in time for the 5:30 classes to start.

2. Classes. I'm not a huge fan of going to the gym and hopping on a cardio machine, so I want to have a wide variety of classes available to me for no extra fee.

3. Indoor track, so I can run in the winter without having to resort to a treadmill (see again I hate cardio machines)

4. A pool is a nice option to have although I don't use it often
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    I didn't really shop around either - I moved to a different part of the city so needed to change gyms (location location location) and ended up joining the first one I walked into. The other thing that solidified it was when I walked around on the tour, I saw a wide variety of people, of different ethnic groups, ages, sexes and fitness levels. I saw myself being able to fit into the crowd.
  • roxywho42
    roxywho42 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry. I really should have included what my intentions for the gym are. I do want to use cardio machines, but pretty much any gym has those, so that's not a big concern. I would like a gym that offers classes. I also want to lift and the other problem I have with my current gym is that they make me feel kinda funny for being a girl in the free weight area. I do have a child, so I would prefer to find one that has a children's area.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Another plus I found with my gym is I can bring a guest as many times as I want for free.
    I'd also make sure you ask about how easy/hard it is to quit if you choose to do so. At some places it's pretty painless. At others, it's like a root canal.

both of these are excellent points. My gym has a day use fee- but no "bring a guest" policy- working on it though.
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I think what a lot of people are alluding to is Planet Fitness is great as long as you plan on quietly doing cardio.

If you want to lift weights you'll need to go somewhere else.

My only tips are to check and see if you have a local YMCA as they tend to be pretty well rounded facilities that lack the glam or pretence of a lot of gyms. Some cities have pretty good recreational facilities too that might be a good fit.

I'm not personally a big fan of Planet Fitness or the big LA Fitness type places.

I ended up at a SNAP Fitness, cheap and locations every few miles. No pool, not a lot of gear. But enough to get my workouts in when I want to be locked inside a building for a while.
  • fullersun35
    fullersun35 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    It definitely helps to have one close by. Mine is within jogging or biking distance which helps to get in a little warm-up before I get there.

If you can afford a family membership, consider looking into gyms that have activities for your children too....pool - swimming lessons, childcare facilities, and other activities/camps. I'm hoping if my kids grow up with these options, they will be more inclined to stick with it as adults.
  • blindedbyawesome
    blindedbyawesome Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    The best gym is the one that you will go to on a regular basis.
  • fullersun35
    fullersun35 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I just saw your post about classes. Definitely get a schedule before you sign up. My gym seems to cater to stay at home moms. Almost all classes are during the day. The latest one ends at 5:30pm. Grumble.
  • manhn1
    manhn1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Must haves:

1. Price (no point in going if you can't afford the membership)
    2. Parking availability (believe me, it SUCKS when there is no parking!)
    3. Equipment availability (is there enough of it when the gym is crowded?)
    4. Location (no matter how great a gym, a long commute will prevent you from going)
    5. Hours
    6. Different branches (I love that I can go to different locations, depending on work, travel, etc)
    7. Specific equipment (weights, cardio machines, etc)
    8. Classes (I love me some cardio kickbox)
    9. Cleanliness
    10. Safety (I've been to gyms where people will steal your shampoo!)

Nice but not deal breakers:

1. Wifi availability
    2. Towel Service
    3. Shampoo and soap in the showers
    4. Basketball court
    5. Indoor track
    6. Indoor pool
    7. Sauna and/or hot tub
    8. 24-hours
    9. Big lockers
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Must haves:

1. Decent Price (no point in going if you can't afford the membership)
    3. Equipment availability (is there enough of it when the gym is crowded?)
    4. Location (no matter how great a gym, a long commute will prevent you from going)
    5. Hours
    6. Specific equipment (weights, cardio machines, etc)
    7. Classes (I love me some cardio kickbox as well as body pump and Zumba)
    8. Cleanliness
    10. Safety (I've been to gyms where people will steal your shampoo!)
    11. Towel Service
    12. Shampoo and soap in the showers + hair dryers
    13. Big lockers
    14. No locked in contract (even though I won't probably quit now because I love my gym
    15. Friendly staff

I don't need wifi because I have a hot spot on my iPhone, but before that, it would have been a nice perk.
  • Swilla_Swole
    Swilla_Swole Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Hot chicks!....no, no, no. A place where you will feel comfortable going.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Hours. I work second shift and often have more energy at night, so I look for 24 hour access.

Rewarding extras. I use the sauna, steamroom and whirlpool as rewards for a job well done. I also like to join classes once in a while.

Atmosphere. I like a gym where people come in and do their business and leave each other alone for the most part. No leering at me doing squats.

Location. I think this is important, but it's not the most important thing. I actually moved from a gym literally down the street that I could walk to, to one across town. The one down the street was Planet Fitness, and although it was cheap and a great location, it just didn't have the equipment and extras that I was looking for.