Flax Seed

Options
I know about all the wonderful benefits of flax seed and use it when I'm baking in recipes but was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to incorporate it into everyday foods and meals? I have a whole bag of flax seeds at home, but not using them that much so any recommendations would be great. Thanks!

-M:flowerforyou:

Replies

• kkochend
    Options
    I personally take flax seed oil supplements; however I have heard of people adding it as a sprinkling to their favorite cereals in the morning or salads.
  • mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I have a small coffee grinder that I use to grind up the seeds, then add them to my morning oatmeal, smoothies, etc. You can substitute ground flax + H20 for oil or eggs in some recipes. Add them to pretty much any recipe, really! You can get a small coffee grinder for less than $20 - mine is a Krupps.
  • chaundra
    chaundra Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue when I started eating flaxseed, on my cereal I feel like I can taste it although it is better on oatmeal, quinoa, or steel cut oats.

I eat 2 tbsp of ground flaxseed everyday and this is how I make it:
    1 Tbsp natural peanut butter + 2 Tbsp of ground flaxseed = Mix into a paste
    Spread it on a brown rice cake or toast or a whole wheat bage or a whole wheat pita
    Finish with a teaspoon drizzle of agave or honey
    OMG it is the best I swear by it

The sweetner makes the paste soooo good...I always have mine with a cup of coffee!
  • kf1115
    kf1115 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I just sprinkle them on salads, and I use flax seed oil as a salad dressing. They're also good on any steamed veggies.
  • cuppycake22
    Options
    I mix mine in with yogurt every morning! Only way I enjoy eating yogurt now :)
  • finncmh
    finncmh Posts: 290
    Options
    Sprinkled on oatmeal, salads, cereal. Ground up really good in peanut butter, coffee, etc. :)
  • rundgrenfan
    Options
    I think they taste really good on their own, almost like nuts. I also sprinkle flax seeds all over my bread dough or even the canned crescent rolls for my family before baking.
  • jdsouthernbelle
    Options
    I use one Tablespoon ground up in my protein shake every morning.
  • mismgl83
    mismgl83 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    thanks for the ideas! Definitely going to get a grinder and use the flax seeds in PB.
  • iwantmyskinnyjeans
    Options
    I like them in my smoothies!
  • tracybarnhill
    Options
    I eat 2 tbsp of ground flax on my oatmeal every morning. Microwave the water pour it into oatmeal and ground flax, and add a table spoon of Agave. Even add it to my Steel-cut oats from other places. Can't eat oatmeal without it now....
  • fitbody365
    Options
    I love the flax seed blend FitFlax. It's delicious. http://www.fitflax.com and a great source of omega-3s. Flax seeds are also a great weight loss food, high in fiber, protein and minerals. In the mornings, I'll add it to cereals or Greek yogurt and berries. It's a filling, delicious breakfast. At lunch or dinner, I'll add it to salads or sprinkle it on fish. I saw the code MB10 for 10% off.