Vegan Gluten Free and can't eat enough

Options
So- like the title says I'm VGF (and not by a 'do it to lose weight' choice, rather a 'do it or your throat swells shut and you break out in hives' choice) My question it this. My BMR is roughly 2100 calories. As someone that purely subsists on fruit and veggies can you tell me how to get that many calories if I'm also working out. (You might be thinking working out- if you're working out why are you fat) Well, I cycle in a cycling class at least once a week, and the other 5 days I work out I swim laps at what I've been told by swimmers is a rather impressive pace. Suffice it to say at about 270 either of these equals about a thousand calorie deficit. You see my problem, if I do either of these I'm supposed to what, eat 3000 calories a day? I forget to eat now, and not to mention, I have a life, I can't eat 20 times a day. Any thoughts?

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Peanut Butter

/thread
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Eat high caloric meals/snacks.

Peanut butter, avocados, nuts, seeds, olive oil, dark chocolate.
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I'm often GF, so I understand that portion of the struggle. There are plenty of choices for things to add to your diet, outside of just fruits and veggies. Legumes are an excellent source of protein and can be relatively calorie-dense. @AJ_G is right when he mentions peanut butter--but you can expand this into cashew butter, almond butter, etc. Eating only fruits and vegetables isn't likely to get you to your macros, let alone calorie goals. The other thing I would suggest--lots of healthy fats. Avocados, for instance, have wonderful fats. And you can always add a little coconut oil to a fruit smoothie, tea or coffee. :)
  • RawIndian
    RawIndian Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    You should checkout Freelee the banana girl on youtube. She tells us how to eat 3000 calories a day primarily on fruits and veggies.

IMO it is really easy to consume 2500+ calories on fruits & veggies alone. Plus add 1 cup or more boiled chick peas for protein.

Here is an example - Breakfast Strawberry banana smoothie with 6 or more bananas - 600 cals plus. A similar smoothie for lunch (I take Green smoothie), Evening some cooked food with boiled Chick peas - 600-800 cals.

With smoothie you are quick to drink it or just take it with you.

Hope this helps.
  • VeganCappy
    VeganCappy Posts: 122
    Options
    I put 4 bananas, an avocado, a couple cups of berries, and I have an 850 calorie breakfast I gulp down in 2 minutes. There are plenty of high calorie fruits. I eat a lot of bananas because they are very cheap and packed full of electrolytes.
  • danikanoodles
    danikanoodles Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I agree with what rawindian says.

I'm vegan and allergic to soy and gluten and eat around 3,000 calories. Don't try to get in those calories from high fat sources. It will not leave you feeling well in the long run.

You can add me as a friend if you have questions or need help.
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Vegan but a little on the light side...

http://www.22daysnutrition.com/blog/2013/05/01/15-vegan-sources-of-protein-soy-free-and-gluten-free-too/

Vegetarian and vegan but a great chart...

http://www.savvyvegetarian.com/articles/plant-food-protein-chart.pdf

I think smoothies are a great way for you to get a lot of calories in if you are struggling, just do some research and be creative.
  • uboom
    uboom Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Based on what your currently eating, I would add rice. It will get your calories up and keep your fat intake down.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan and have no problem hitting over 2000 calories. Just a banana is 100 calories. 75 grams of rice is over 300 mix that with a stir fry of veggies and tofu and easily hit over 600 calories. Porridge (make sure if your coeliac that you go for gluten free ones as even though oats don't have gluten in them there's a lot of cross contamination). It's pretty easy to make a smoothy with fruit and a nut milk that easily hits 500 or 600 calories. Then you have beans, peas and so much stuff. Google is your friend.