Morbidly Obese Children- Abused?

Options
Saw this article today: http://news.sky.com/story/1276875/parents-arrested-over-obese-11-year-old-son

The child is 11 years old, 5'1, and 15 stone. BMI of almost 42. The child protective services took him away.

So, here's the question: Do you consider it child abuse?? I see it from both sides, but I lean towards yes.

Replies

• Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I can't say I'd call it abuse, but I would definitely call it horrible parenting.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Oh wow. Take away the Wii and send him outside.
  • Kanuenue
    Kanuenue Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    If a child's health is put at risk for the choices of their parents (I doubt this 11 year old shops for and prepares the meals) then yes, I consider it abuse/neglect. Should the child be taken away? I don't know, this appears to have been an escalated issue. The parents sound ignorant of basic health. I do think the entire family needs nutritional counseling and regular appointments with a nutritionist & GP to monitor the child's health there after. A parent's job is to care for the needs of their children and prepare them to become well functioning adults. If they don't know how to do this, they need to seek help or be prepared for an intervention.

The bottom line: 15 stone (210 lbs) at 11 years old... totally inappropriate. This child is on his way to be a government supported young person on disability. Better they intervene now then pay the costs later.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    i think the net result is that its abuse, but in reality is far more complicated then that.

removing the child from the family is a stupid 'quick fix' that will only further emotionally disturb everyone involved.

they should force the whole family do go to some kind of classes/counciling.

if they refuse to go or there is no improvement, perhaps then there is a call for more drastic steps..

maybe they did that, idk, didn't read the article
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    i think the net result is that its abuse, but in reality is far more complicated then that.

removing the child from the family is a stupid 'quick fix' that will only further emotionally disturb everyone involved.

they should force the whole family do go to some kind of classes/counciling.

if they refuse to go or there is no improvement, perhaps then there is a call for more drastic steps..

maybe they did that, idk, didn't read the article

From what I gatherewd, the doctors already tried this, many times, and the parents shrugged it off with the all so famous line, "our families are just fat, so we cant lose the weight". It's just genetic blah blah blah. I understand genetics plays a role and there are some special catepillars that, no matter how hard they try, can never turn into butterflies but for the most part and for most people, anyone can lose the weight. Stop eating so much and get active.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    We do not know all the facts. Remember those children with brittle bones and parents being accused of abuse. Other child care services had been involved and I get the impression, possibly wrongly, the child's weight was one of several issues on their parenting.

Please remember there can be many reasons for being over weight boiling down to some part of the system not functioning like the healthy majority. I have spent a life time getting to the bottom of my problems, and I'm not finished yet.
  • itodd4019
    itodd4019 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    nevermind

too tough of a subject
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    nevermind

too tough of a subject

+1
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    nevermind

too tough of a subject

+1

There is no black and white, only many shades of grey.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    nevermind

too tough of a subject

+1

There is no black and white, only many shades of grey.

How many shades?

Oh, and I'm not even going to try to tackle this old chestnut.
  • PinkCupcakes84
    PinkCupcakes84 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I'll stay out of this one but in for the responses
  • AKAMrsR
    AKAMrsR Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm an American teacher. I had a fourth grade student who was very morbidly obese. The child wasn't ridiculed much more than any other child, but he was unable to participate in recess and PE activities, often held up his bus because he simply couldn't walk fast enough, and struggled to fit into the desks. The child's life was being impacted negatively by his weight. In the U.S., I'm not sure we're at the point where social services would step in: no where in any of my abuse recognition training was overweight children listed as a sign of neglect, only underweight. However, I do think this is very similar to malnutrition or other forms of neglect. I parent that knowingly contributes to a child being unhealthy in a way that could be life-threatening is neglect in my eyes. My husband was over 300 lbs in high school and his parents saw nothing wrong with it. My husband and I live a fairly healthy lifestyle and strive to be healthier, and we would take it very seriously if our child was eating so unhealthily that she became obese. All children go through cycles of growth where they gain weight, then grow into it, but there is a big difference between "chubby" and obese. And now I step off my soapbox :)
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    In... before the lock.

Controversial topic is controversial and should be handled on a case-by-case basis.

jon-stewart-popcorn11.gif
  • fullersun35
    fullersun35 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I'm an American teacher. I had a fourth grade student who was very morbidly obese. The child wasn't ridiculed much more than any other child, but he was unable to participate in recess and PE activities, often held up his bus because he simply couldn't walk fast enough, and struggled to fit into the desks. The child's life was being impacted negatively by his weight. In the U.S., I'm not sure we're at the point where social services would step in: no where in any of my abuse recognition training was overweight children listed as a sign of neglect, only underweight. However, I do think this is very similar to malnutrition or other forms of neglect. I parent that knowingly contributes to a child being unhealthy in a way that could be life-threatening is neglect in my eyes. My husband was over 300 lbs in high school and his parents saw nothing wrong with it. My husband and I live a fairly healthy lifestyle and strive to be healthier, and we would take it very seriously if our child was eating so unhealthily that she became obese. All children go through cycles of growth where they gain weight, then grow into it, but there is a big difference between "chubby" and obese. And now I step off my soapbox :)

Did you share your concerns with the parents? Point them toward resources that could help?

In regards to the OP, the family was already well known by Social Services, so there were probably more factors at play in the kid's removal from the home.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    don-of-ghaz-main-dance-o.gif
  • AKAMrsR
    AKAMrsR Posts: 45 Member
    Options

Did you share your concerns with the parents? Point them toward resources that could help?

In regards to the OP, the family was already well known by Social Services, so there were probably more factors at play in the kid's removal from the home.

I wasn't the child's primary teacher, but his homeroom teacher and past teachers has all had conversations with the parents and the school counselor. I just don't think it was without our realm to truly do much about it...
  • mitchyinge
    mitchyinge Posts: 196
    Options
    how is it controversial? it's blatant abuse and neglect

"you can be genetically fat" did make me laugh though
  • ThaCookieMonster
    ThaCookieMonster Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I would def say NEGLECT not abuse. Abuse would be more of verbal or physical. Just my opinion :)
  • lynette111
    lynette111 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    My sister is a foster mom. She got one child who was 6 years old and weighed over 110 pounds. The parents never let him outside to play and obviously overfed him junk. There were other abuses going on also. I don't think he has been with my sister a year and has lost all the excess weight and looks like a normal. healthy little boy. I definitely think it is abuse when it gets to this extreme.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    how is it controversial? it's blatant abuse and neglect

"you can be genetically fat" did make me laugh though

do you have children?