deadlift etiquette

Options
What's the proper gym etiquette for doing dead lifts at squat racks? At my gym (Life Time) there are 3 squat racks and one has a platform in front (i'm assuming this is there for dead lifts) and also the only rack that has the round bumper plates. As far as I can tell there is no dedicated dead lift area or platform in the gym other than this spot.

Nobody has complained to me yet, but I'm I doing the right thing by dead lifting in that area? Any thoughts and advice would be appreciated. I've been doing dead lifts for two weeks now and I'm loving it in addition to my previous routine.

Replies

• grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    It's common to do deadlifts at the squat racks. I wouldn't worry about it. If it's crowded, you might consider letting someone else work in with you, but it shouldn't be a problem.
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I can really only deadlift near/in front of the squat rack in my gym. I don't really care. You gotta do what you gotta do. Brodin will still smile down upon you.
  • asdelmonte
    asdelmonte Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I deadlift in front of the squat rack all the time. The only other option would be to take a bar off the bench press. If someone wants to use the squat rack, I roll the bar out of the way and they grab one from the bench.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I deadlift in front of the squat rack all the time. The only other option would be to take a bar off the bench press. If someone wants to use the squat rack, I roll the bar out of the way and they grab one from the bench.

pretty much.

we have ad 4 deadlift bars on the ground- and all the squat racks full at my gym.

that is typically the place they are done for various reasons but there is no NEED for a squat rack- so don't hog it if someone else needs it.
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    My gym (small local) has a power cage and one squat rack. But there are 5 flat benches, one incline and one decline. So…if one of the flat benches are available, I'll take the bar from there and deadlift so as not to take up 1/2 squat racks. But, like today…they were all taken so I grabbed the open power cage.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Ok cool makes sense, thanks everyone.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options

This is what I do, also. Not too many people do squats when I'm in the weight room, though. Mostly just me.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    We only have one power cage, no squat rack. So everyone does deadlifts in front of the cage. If someone is already there when I need to deadlift, I'll pull the bar off the incline press as long as no one is using it.