High protein, low carb/sodium/sugar snacks?

Options
Any suggestions? I'm looking for something that I don't necessarily have to make or that I can make in bulk and then freeze. Thanks!

Replies

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter cookies? With organic or unsweetened peanut butter maybe?
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Nuts of all kinds. I'm partial to macadamia nuts and cashew nuts.

Beef or turkey jerky. You can make your own. Our local Costco sells some good varieties.

String cheese
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter cookies? With organic or unsweetened peanut butter maybe?

Good idea! I'm looking for something a bit higher protein, though. I usually end up with 50 or so grams of protein "left" at the end of the day and I'd love to reduce that gap significantly.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    Options
    Nuts of all kinds. I'm partial to macadamia nuts and cashew nuts.

Beef or turkey jerky. You can make your own. Our local Costco sells some good varieties.

String cheese

I love cashews--I might look into them--and jerky sounds terrific. I'll see if I can get a recipe for jerky that's rather low in sodium. I wonder if venison would work,, since I have a freezer full of it! LOL
  • jmt08c
    jmt08c Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    venison jerky is fantastic!!! I wish I could get it here in FL. Actually better for you than most meats you can buy in the store.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    Options
    Awesome! Do you just slice it and dry it in a slow oven? I love venison and get quite a lot of it during hunting season. My dogs eat the bulk of it, but I have some select pieces put aside for myself. :)
  • bsoxluvr
    bsoxluvr Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too! Bumping...
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    If you don't class putting protein power in a shaker with water then power may be the way forward .
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Eggs
    Egg whites
    Chicken breast
    fish
    beef
    nuts
    protein powders
    cottage cheese
    cheese
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    Options
    I bought myself some protein bars last night, for until I could afford some whey powder. Yep, I won't be buying *those* again, at least not that brand! I'll suppress my gag reflex for the rest of the box, but . . . yeah. I also bought some peanuts and some chicken breasts for my salads. Yum!

I really feel awful about succumbing to the whey powder, since I want to be able to eat a "normal" diet without resorting to stuff like that, but until I get more recipes and more knowledge I just don't see any way of making up such a huge deficit of protein.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Get some of that squeeze ginger at the grocery store, a small bottle of lime juice, make a mix of the two, marinade chicken breast in it, grill it, and it's good hot or cold. I could munch on it all day.

Also good for steaks, lamb, pork, and turkey.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Steak, eggs, full fat yogurt
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Quest bars.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    Options
    I love steak, but I should probably admit here that I'm on food stamps. I'd be crucified for buying steak, even if I'm losing weight to control my Type II diabetes. You should see the looks I get for my shrimp, even though it's only $5/bag and I get three meals from it! LOL I'll see if I can sneak one into my basket occasionally, though.

I love the idea of the ginger and lime--I'll try that very soon! Keep the suggestions coming, folks. Eventually I'll be able to afford this stuff, even if I can't right now. :D
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Chicken drum sticks

If you have access to a microwave, left over chilli.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I love steak, but I should probably admit here that I'm on food stamps. I'd be crucified for buying steak, even if I'm losing weight to control my Type II diabetes. You should see the looks I get for my shrimp, even though it's only $5/bag and I get three meals from it! LOL I'll see if I can sneak one into my basket occasionally, though.

I love the idea of the ginger and lime--I'll try that very soon! Keep the suggestions coming, folks. Eventually I'll be able to afford this stuff, even if I can't right now. :D

What's wrong with buying steak on food stamps? I swear, people need to stop caring. I used to have food stamps and guess what I bought with it? Food. Steak isn't a "junk" food and if bought at reduced prices can be quite cheap. I once got a two pound sirloin for eight dollars and a pound of ground beef was five bucks. Same thing goes for shrimp. It makes me so angry when snooty people act like those on food stamps don't deserve to eat certain foods because they're not paying for them.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Booo! Don't allow ANYONE (especially strangers, pfft) to make you feel bad for making good food choices, regardless of how they are paid for (our family has needed Food stamps in the past for many years). Heck, depending on the cut, steak is a better price per pound (and higher in protein/lower in fat) than most hamburger meat. Even just the addition of diced chicken breasts on salads or just to munch on will give you a great protein source on a budget.

I definitely agree that venison jerky (seeing as you've got a surplus in the freezer--so tasty and lean) is a great suggestion.

PS: I know prices vary depending on location, but for our family (on a shoestring budget, too), chicken breasts are our go-to when the venison is eaten up. $2 a pound (buy big ol' bags of the frozen breasts) = $0.38-$0.40 per 20-25g of protein. Much better price than protein bars or whey powder (which taste horrid, to me at least).
  • daveplaysbass2
    Options
    Buy ten pack of chicken thighs. Bake in oven and keep in fridge. Eat two or three a day without skin. They heat up easy in the microwave.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    Options
    Thanks for the support, folks! I agree about the food choices and tend to wend my way into the "self-checkout" lane when making what some people would consider questionable ones. I've been on food stamps for a few years now and am working to get off them. I think it will be easier now that jobs are returning to my area and now that I'm feeling less depressed--I think a lot of what was holding me back was my untreated diabetes. I know it's TMI, but I don't want anyone thinking I'm taking advantage of the system and am content to stay on assistance. I am working hard to recover using the food stamps and the free (church-run) clinic, working odd jobs to save money to get back to school, finish my degree, and become gainfully employed--hopefully with normal glucose levels and about 50 pounds lighter. :D

I don't buy snack food with my food stamps (except for my sugar-free cookies) and I try to make the "best" choices possible. I *really* waffled yesterday over buying the whey powder and put it back on the shelf three times before leaving the store without it. I *really* appreciate all of the good advice I'm getting here and look forward to getting more. I think that once I get the protein thing settled, I'll be on a decent track toward better health. Heck, I may even buy some inexpensive dumbbells and break myself in slowly to lifting weights. ;)
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    For a protein bar, I also recommend Quest bars
    Well balanced and taste great.