More Weight and Less Reps -vs- Less Weight and More Reps

Options
I joined a gym about a week ago and love their 30 minute circuit that runs you through a full body workout on the equipment. Since I have never done this before, I am winging it.

To lose weight / tone, is it better to use heavier weights with less reps or more reps with less weight? I've tried searching on the internet but keep finding conflicting information--imagine that! Anyway, that's why I am asking those that have been there and done that.

God knows the last thing I want to do is bulk up. I just want to tighten and tone as I lose weight.

Thanks for the suggestions in advance!

Replies

• bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    It is impossible for you to bulk up. Women don't have enough testosterone to allow for it.

There also really isn't any such thing as toning. Either you are getting stronger or getting weaker.

If you want to add some strength (note, this will not "bulk" you up) you should stick to heavier weights at lower repetitions.

If you feel you're OK where you are, lower weights at higher reps are more what you are looking for.

Another thought, you know all the ladies you see on the covers of fitness magazines? The ones who have fantastic bodies and booties but aren't bulky?

They lift heavy weights. All of them. Often.
  • thomas925
    thomas925 Posts: 1
    Options
    The ideal rep ranges are between 4-6, 6-8, 8-10 and 10-12.
    It really depends on the exercise. Exercises like squat, deadlift and that kind of exercises should be done with relative low rep ranges.
  • djprice_69
    djprice_69 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    The simplest answer I can give is this: If you're just looking to burn calories without adding much muscle mass, lighter weights with more reps will do the trick. Lifting lower reps with heavier weights will help build muscle, but I honestly don't think you'll bulk much if any at all. If anything else, you're muscle will have ever-so-slightly more definition as you begin to melt away the fat.

Lower weight & higher reps is more of an aerobic workout; higher weight with lower reps is more anaerobic.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    don't worry you wont bulk up.

weight loss comes from your calorie deficit...that's it.

weight training either bodyweight or actual lifting and adequate protien is to help maintain the muscle you have while you lose mainly fat.

Lifting heavy at a deficit is to build strength...(low reps high weights), the other is for muscle endurance or if you so choose to do bodyweight or resistence training with bands, kettle weights or smaller weighted dumbells it's all good imho.

I prefer heavy lifting as I want to be strong...

So pick the one you want to do...the one you will do consistent and find a good program and follow that.

For heavy lifting I do Stronglifts but also recommended is Starting strength or new rules of lifting for women...

Bodyweight training google convict conditioning or just "bodyweight programs"

I am sure that there are others out there and perhaps other posters can give suggestions.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    The simplest answer I can give is this: If you're just looking to burn calories without adding much muscle mass, lighter weights with more reps will do the trick. Lifting lower reps with heavier weights will help build muscle, but I honestly don't think you'll bulk much if any at all. If anything else, you're muscle will have ever-so-slightly more definition as you begin to melt away the fat.

Lower weight & higher reps is more of an aerobic workout; higher weight with lower reps is more anaerobic.

anyone in a defict (except new to lifting/obese) will not be putting on muscle mass regardless.

low weights/high reps build endurance where high weights/low reps build strength
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    You won't bulk up without a lot of focused effort. It requires eating at a surplus and a lot of work and time. So first off, don't worry about that.

I've heard it both ways. I've lifted both ways (low-ish weights where I could do 12-15 reps per set and higher weights where I can do 5 reps per set) over the years. I have to say that I really, really prefer the high weight low rep. It takes less time, the strength gains are better, and I like the look better. I haven't gotten bulky with either. (I also really believe it's better to do compound lifts with free weights.)

To get the definition ("tone"), it will take reducing your body fat. You accomplish that by a calorie deficit. Lifting while you do this will help maintain the muscles you have so you'll look great at a higher weight :wink:
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    This is a complicated thing to talk about. It depends on what you want. To lose "weight"?? Muscle is heavy so it might not make you lose "weight." I am the same size at 145 now as I was at 135 before because now i have more muscle.

To "tone" is also confusing. Do you mean you want to be stronger and have bigger muscles? Or do you want to have visible muscles? Bigger muscles is about gaining muscle mass and more visible muslces is more about lowering body fat.

I'm assuming you want to lower body fat, and i think that when it comes to that, lifting heavier weights with lower reps will likely increase LBM (meaning you will have more muscle) and raise your metabolism and also burn calories in the process. Lifting lighter weights with higher reps will burn calories and preserve muscle mass, but depending on how light it is, it might not help build muscle mass. If you do lighter weights with higher reps at a fast pace, you might be doing something more like HIIT which burns ridiculous amounts of calories.

I think i forgot to say that losing fat is about calories in vs. calories out. Strenght training burns calories, but it's more about building and/or preserving muscle mass (muscle mass which will raise your metabolism).... unless you are doing it as cardio (like bear complexes) then it's a lot of calories...and preserving muscle mass.

It's confusing because it is.

I think if you love what you are doing, keep doing it. If you have specific goals around body fat, use calorie counting to balance your calories in vs. calories out. If you have specific goals around muscle mass, then you'll know what kind of strenght program to do.
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    You will not bulk up, female body builders work too hard to look like that. If you eat at a deficit and lift heavy, you will burn fat and look "toned" i.e. muscle definition will start to come through.

The New Rules of Lifting for Women has some really good information. Before reading that I used to use those circuit training machines with less weight and higher reps for YEARS and saw NO RESULTS. Then I read NROLFW, starting lifting heavy and within 3 months saw some my measurements drop and a huge improvement in my muscle definition.

Now I'm doing Stronglifts 5x5 which is also a really good beginner program. So don't be afraid to lift those heavy weights!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    This is good:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/weight-training-for-fat-loss-part-1.html

Basically it says that the best way to retain muscle while dieting (which is the main point of lifting while dieting) is more weight, less reps.
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options
    I always get confused when people say women won't "bulk" because while I don't look like a man, my physical body does actually get larger in certain places with certain exercises. I'm not complaining, mind you, that I can make my back side round. I'm just saying that I think it's important for people to recognize that a person with a larger bf% can't just start lifting and think it'll resolve the problem. They can be increasing muscle mass without losing fat (if they are eating too much) and end up even bigger (stronger, but bigger).

I say this because it happened to me. Twice.
  • aliakynes
    aliakynes Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Do not be afraid of heavy weights (while on a caloric deficit). This woman is deadlifing 315 lbs and you don't even see muscles poking out when she's flexing it for the lift: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmbqbmJsLBs&t=0m14s ... you have to eat lots to gain muscle mass. The girl in the video obviously doesn't.

So ... +1 for more weight, less reps.
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options
    This is good:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/weight-training-for-fat-loss-part-1.html

Basically it says that the best way to retain muscle while dieting (which is the main point of lifting while dieting) is more weight, less reps.

That was a helpful link. Holy smokes!
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    I always get confused when people say women won't "bulk" because while I don't look like a man, my physical body does actually get larger in certain places with certain exercises. I'm not complaining, mind you, that I can make my back side round. I'm just saying that I think it's important for people to recognize that a person with a larger bf% can't just start lifting and think it'll resolve the problem. They can be increasing muscle mass without losing fat (if they are eating too much) and end up even bigger (stronger, but bigger).

because to bulk muscle ie grow it you need to be eating at a calorie surplus and doing a progressive load lifting program...otherwise it doesn't happen (except small noob gains or if you are obese). Esp for a woman..a woman doing an intentional bulk watching very closely had a hard time gaining muscle mass..I believe we are lucky to gain 1lb of muscle a month doing a bulk (others correct me if I am wrong)

And my butt didn't get bigger...it got rounder but I lost over 3 inches off my hips while it got a lift...

fd8b5bfa-51c5-4a78-8da3-23c7a5c00af9_zpse4fcfcb6.jpg
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options

because to bulk muscle ie grow it you need to be eating at a calorie surplus and doing a progressive load lifting program...otherwise it doesn't happen (except small noob gains or if you are obese). Esp for a woman..a woman doing an intentional bulk watching very closely had a hard time gaining muscle mass..I believe we are lucky to gain 1lb of muscle a month doing a bulk (others correct me if I am wrong)

And my butt didn't get bigger...it got rounder but I lost over 3 inches off my hips while it got a lift...

Mine def got bigger, and rounder. After losing 50 lbs, my rump was FLAT. Now it's round (see profile pic). Now, when i was at my lightest weight (123) before I started lifting, I was wearing size 4 pencil skirts. I can still wear those skirts now at 145, but they are a little snug on the rump. The waist fits though. I am not saying you will look like the hulk, but lifting weights *can* increase the size of your muscles. On my booty, I always do sets of ten- so higher reps and lower weights.

So maybe those were noob gains. For the record, this fabulous change in the rump happened when I added strong curves to my regimine. It didn't happen from the squats and deads I was already doing. So maybe it's noob gains. I'm happy for it, though.

Same think happened to my waist line- it got bigger when I added extra ab work to my routine. I've cut them out again now- I think my core strength is worked just fine via compound lifts. But yeah, it think it's important for us to recognize that some mass growth *can* happen.
  • FitWifey79
    FitWifey79 Posts: 17 Member
    Options

LOL LOL LOL THAT PIC IS HILARIOUS, THANKS FOR SHARING!!
  • beertrollruss
    beertrollruss Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Since you're brand new, start light and get your form perfected. Muscle failure means that you can't complete a rep with good form and no assistance. At this point, you don't want to reach failure yet. Learn the exercises first and get in touch with your muscles. After about 3 months or so, you can start adding reps or weight. Lower reps are more optimal for building muscle and improving bone density. I wouldn't tell anyone to do less than 6-8 reps unless they wanted to be a powerlifter.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Mine def got bigger, and rounder. After losing 50 lbs, my rump was FLAT. Now it's round (see profile pic). Now, when i was at my lightest weight (123) before I started lifting, I was wearing size 4 pencil skirts. I can still wear those skirts now at 145, but they are a little snug on the rump. The waist fits though. I am not saying you will look like the hulk, but lifting weights *can* increase the size of your muscles. On my booty, I always do sets of ten- so higher reps and lower weights.

So maybe those were noob gains. For the record, this fabulous change in the rump happened when I added strong curves to my regimine. It didn't happen from the squats and deads I was already doing. So maybe it's noob gains. I'm happy for it, though.

Same think happened to my waist line- it got bigger when I added extra ab work to my routine. I've cut them out again now- I think my core strength is worked just fine via compound lifts. But yeah, it think it's important for us to recognize that some mass growth *can* happen.
    Yes you can build muscle as a woman if you are eating in a surplus and lifting heavy weights which means 1-6 reps, 10-15 reps build endurance esp with low weights, that neither builds strength or muscle. Where there is a progressive overload of the weight you are lifting. If you are in a deficit you will not build much "muscle" Noob gains are typically measured in oz not pounds and don't last long.

As well being able to wear clothing at two different weights happens when you lose fat and keep muscle.

the easiest way to explain it this...you can't build a house without materials...ie wood/stone/brick..that is what a calorie surplus is. Materials...to build new tissue as you are progressively overloading them.

If you didn't build a round butt from squats you were engaging your quads over your glutes and hamstrings. My butt is very round and looks quite big too but my hips are actually smaller from the fat loss.

A lot of the time the "bigger" look is from the muscle retaining water...which goes away. This esp happens with new exercise.

But again let me repeat this part...yes women can gain muscle mass if they are in a calorie surplus doing a progressive load lifting program....watching macros and being very diligent. There are women here that do it all the time. But those gains are hard earned and do not come easily. But unless you are a new lifter (which means never don't any lifting ever ever ever ever, or obese you cannot...let me stress that again CANNOT build muscle in a caloric deficit.
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options

Yes you can build muscle as a woman if you are eating in a surplus and lifting heavy weights which means 1-6 reps, 10-15 reps build endurance esp with low weights, that neither builds strength or muscle. Where there is a progressive overload of the weight you are lifting. If you are in a deficit you will not build much "muscle" Noob gains are typically measured in oz not pounds and don't last long.

As well being able to wear clothing at two different weights happens when you lose fat and keep muscle.

the easiest way to explain it this...you can't build a house without materials...ie wood/stone/brick..that is what a calorie surplus is. Materials...to build new tissue as you are progressively overloading them.

If you didn't build a round butt from squats you were engaging your quads over your glutes and hamstrings. My butt is very round and looks quite big too but my hips are actually smaller from the fat loss.

A lot of the time the "bigger" look is from the muscle retaining water...which goes away. This esp happens with new exercise.

But again let me repeat this part...yes women can gain muscle mass if they are in a calorie surplus doing a progressive load lifting program....watching macros and being very diligent. There are women here that do it all the time. But those gains are hard earned and do not come easily. But unless you are a new lifter (which means never don't any lifting ever ever ever ever, or obese you cannot...let me stress that again CANNOT build muscle in a caloric deficit.

Maybe I was eating at a surplus. My bum is bigger and it's not water retention.

I also disagree with your assessment of reps for building mass. The best rep range for building muscle is 6-12, with moderate weight (ie. whatever weight you can only do 6-12 reps with).

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/truth-rep-ranges-muscle-growth