help with calories- math question

Options
I have been adding 2 tbs of Jimmy Dean Turkey Sausage crumbles to my egg whites in the mornings. They have 80 calories for 2/3of a cup. How much for the 2 tbs?

Sorry, I'm mathamatical challenged. :)

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    well there are 16 tblspoons in a cup, but that's only if you level it off. so if 10.5 tablespoons equals 2/3 of a cup

then 10.5 tblspoons would be 80 calories or about 8 calories per tablespoon (probably better to round up to 10 though.
  • elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    2 Tablespoons * (1 cup/16 tablespoons) * (80 calories/ (2/3 cup)) = 15 calories

Ahhhh, I love the smell of math in the morning! :happy:
  • mandiewalters
    mandiewalters Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    10 tablespoons equals 2/3 cup according to ask.com, so....divide the calories by 5 and you should get the number of calories in 2 Tbsp. Hope that helps.:)
  • NikkiJ17
    NikkiJ17 Posts: 295
    Options
    Ok I'm not sure how accurate this is but I'm taking a shot at it. LOL there are 16 tablespoons in 1 cup and 2/3 cup = 80 calories so 16 divided by 3 =5.333, that would be 1/3. so 2/3 would be 10.66 tablespoons. 80 divided by 10.66 is 7.5. So I would say 7.5 per tablespoon or 15 for 2 tablespoons. Hope that helps!!! If I'm wrong someone please correct me. I wonder how many calories I just burned figuring that out!!! LOL
  • raindancer
    raindancer Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Cool, Thank you
    Sometimes I just get a brain block when it comes to math.:bigsmile:
  • asallen7
    asallen7 Posts: 301
    Options
    (2/3) US cup = 10.6666667 US tablespoons

So you can take that serving and divide it by 11 when you enter it in MFP.

(2 / 3) * (1 / 11) = 0.0606060606 <---This is about how much for ONE tablespoon

So when you type in your serving, you should enter 0.12 (the amount for 2 tbsp) in the serving box. Hope this helps. Google search is also a calculator. If you type in a math problem (some types) it will solve it. Which is how to got these answers. I typed in

2/3 cups to tablespoons for the first answer.

I typed in (2 / 3) * (1 / 11) for the second part and got 0.0606060606
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Hey I LOVE the skinny clothes in the hope chest, Nikki! Great idea!!
  • raindancer
    Options
    (2/3) US cup = 10.6666667 US tablespoons

So you can take that serving and divide it by 11 when you enter it in MFP.

(2 / 3) * (1 / 11) = 0.0606060606 <---This is about how much for ONE tablespoon

So when you type in your serving, you should enter 0.12 (the amount for 2 tbsp) in the serving box. Hope this helps. Google search is also a calculator. If you type in a math problem (some types) it will solve it. Which is how to got these answers. I typed in

2/3 cups to tablespoons for the first answer.

I typed in (2 / 3) * (1 / 11) for the second part and got 0.0606060606

Thats what I really needed the .12. I put that in but it seemed like too few calories. But it works for me.
  • elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Asallen's logic is near perfect, but there is one small error.

If there are 10.66667 T per 2/3 of a cup, then your conversion factor is 1/11 for one tablespoon. This is NOT .06, it is .09. Double that for the two tablespoons, and you get .18

You should get a caloric value somewhere near 15 calories for the sausage, there will be some variation for rounding.
  • raindancer
    Options
    I measure in a 2 tbs measuring glass while the sausage is still frozen. So it will be an estimate anyway. I just wasn't sure how to adjust the serving size in the food tracker.

Thank you everyone for your help.:bigsmile:
  • NikkiJ17
    NikkiJ17 Posts: 295
    Options
    Hey I LOVE the skinny clothes in the hope chest, Nikki! Great idea!!

Thanks, I actually got 1 pair of jeans out the other day and could wear them. :laugh: Still have tons left and I WILL wear them again!!!!!